Panic Buying Round 2.0

6,262 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Slocum on a mobile
Post removed:
by user
BCStalk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yes....Sams was the same on Sunday. Freaking ridiculous.
techno-ag
AG
Talks of a lockdown will do that.
EliteElectric
Ran out of paper towels at home and our shop. Tried Sams and HEB had to go to Briarcrest Walmart to for two packages of paper towels. Here we go again loonies 2.0
MiMi
S
Went down the TP/PT aisle on Wednesday at the Towerpoint HEB and they were fully supplied. I was at the store again today. I didn't go down that specific aisle, but I noticed a name-brand PT on sale on a nearby end-cap and there seemed to be plenty.

Rapier108
You have Biden's people talking about at least a 4-6 week national lock down.

New Mexico and Oregon have gone into lock down to one degree or another. New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania are talking about doing it. Probably other states are as well.

No one in their right mind would trust Abbott to not join the party. If he leaves it up to our local leaders, we'll be back to the March/April lock down again in no time. Mooney would love nothing more than to go as far as possible.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
threecatcorner
Could be because of the hurricane/tropical storm too.

People tend to stock up on stuff like toilet paper and bottled water if there's a hurricane/ tropical storm coming.

Not that there's one coming to BCS, but with some of the bigger storms, we get people fleeing this way so the stockpiling happens here too.
FlyRod
If this is occurring, stores need to act immediately to block hoarding...which they failed to do the last time.

And panicking people need to chill the **** out.
Mathguy64
AG
FlyRod said:

If this is occurring, stores need to act immediately to block hoarding...which they failed to do the last time.

And panicking people need to chill the **** out.

Most stores have had signs up for 2 weeks limiting purchase amounts. HEB and Krogers both instituted corporate policies and advertised it two weeks ago. The Krogers CEO was on a morning national news broadcast (GMA I think is where I saw him) earlier this week talking about how they are trying to stay out front of it.
Muzzleblast
Biden election stuff.

Good job America.
75AG
AG
Muzzleblast said:

Biden election stuff.

Good job America.
What does that mean?
Muzzleblast
Biden and his lockdown crowd said there will be a six week lockdown and a national mask mandate.

Scared a bunch of folks. Doesn't take much to run the herd over a cliff these days.

Biden camp said we'll just borrow money to pay everyone to stay locked down.
75AG
AG
Biden has no authority as President-elect, nor President, to order a national lock down. Not sure where you're getting this this information. But you are right on one point: there is certainly a segment of society who will hear what they want, and act irresponsibly.
doubledog
75AG said:

Biden has no authority as President-elect, nor President, to order a national lock down. Not sure where you're getting this this information. But you are right on one point: there is certainly a segment of society who will hear what they want, and act irresponsibly.
Commerce Clause (Article I, Section 8, Clause 3).

""[t]o regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."

As with the ACA, a "national lock down" for travel between states would be constitutional, however intrastate issues would stretch the clause to its breaking point.
75AG
AG
doubledog said:

75AG said:

""[t]o regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes."

As with the ACA, a "national lock down" for travel between states would be constitutional, however intrastate issues would stretch the clause to its breaking point.

The comment was made concerning a lock-down (read as close and not allow to open) non-essential businesses within a state, or nationally. Neither the President, nor Congress, has that authority. That said, President Biden may try to convince Governors to take that step; however, that is the extent of his power - the bully pulpit.
FlyRod
There wasn't a national lockdown during the 1918 pandemic was there? I think like now, only localities could authorize them. But I have no idea if the reason there wasn't one was because it's "illegal."
Oogway
75AG said:

doubledog said:

75AG said:

The comment was made concerning a lock-down (read as close and not allow to open) non-essential businesses within a state, or nationally. Neither the President, nor Congress, has that authority. That said, President Biden may try to convince Governors to take that step; however, that is the extent of his power - the bully pulpit.
At the time being, he is President-elect Biden and the inauguration is about ten weeks away, so any talk of a national lockdown at this point (by him) is really just adding worry over something that could change with the pandemic spreading or even abating by then.

Right now, states and localities seem to be making adjustments based on the situation within their community.
75AG
AG
Agreed. And it was Dr. Osterholm (not Biden) who called for a "national lockdown". He's since walked-back that recommendation and I would guess that Biden privately told him to do so.
cavscout96
AG
75AG said:

Agreed. And it was Dr. Osterholm (not Biden) who called for a "national lockdown". He's since walked-back that recommendation and I would guess that Biden privately told him to do so.

Horse got out of the barn. Looks like it got corralled.

Don't expect the fearmongering to stop. There are still 6+ weeks til the Georgia run-off
techno-ag
AG
FlyRod said:

There wasn't a national lockdown during the 1918 pandemic was there? I think like now, only localities could authorize them. But I have no idea if the reason there wasn't one was because it's "illegal."
St. Louis had the closest thing to a lockdown. No, it wasn't "national."
MiMi
S
Just got back from the TP HEB. The only thing I saw in short supply was bottled water.
Post removed:
by user
techno-ag
AG
Sam's was cleaned out of paper products. They were restocking but only with Member's Mark branded stuff.
FlyRod
Smaller outlets, convenience stores, etc are safe bets if you're really concerned.
MiMi
S
And HEB at TP had plenty of name-brand paper products this afternoon.
FlyRod
I feel like there's a study here...the places that are being cleaned out being more heavily patronized by those easily triggered into panic buying. Can absolutely see SAM's as a prime example.
woodiewood1
75AG said:

doubledog said:

75AG said:

Biden can do what Trump threatened to do with sanctuary cities, without Federal funds for various projects.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

I feel like there's a study here...the places that are being cleaned out being more heavily patronized by those easily triggered into panic buying. Can absolutely see SAM's as a prime example.
concur
cavscout96
AG
woodiewood1 said:

75AG said:

doubledog said:

75AG said:

Biden can do what Trump threatened to do with sanctuary cities, without Federal funds for various projects.

good luck with that. He'd get sued, and lose. Just like 45 did.
studioone
Oogway said:

75AG said:

doubledog said:

75AG said:

At the time being, he is President-elect Biden and the inauguration is about ten weeks away, so any talk of a national lockdown at this point (by him) is really just adding worry over something that could change with the pandemic spreading or even abating by then.

Right now, states and localities seem to be making adjustments based on the situation within their community.

right now, he is NOT the presidential elect, as..

1. They're still counting votes..

2. No one can declare the winner except the electoral collage, and they dont meet until December. The elect is declared around December 14th.. thats in the constitution,..

Oogway
Specifically, yes! You are correct. My response was to the poster who referred to President Biden. We currently have a different president and after a peaceful transfer of power, we the people will have a new one. People are free to discussion Biden lockdowns all they want, but it seems to me to be a time waster
75AG
AG
Valid point.
birdman
The shelves are always picked over on Sundays. Go today or tomorrow and it will be fine.
cz308
Just proves that people are morons. Folks should have closets full by now from the first time.
MarineBQ04
AG
[url=https://ibb.co/cJn6wN2][/url]
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.