STAR furniture

2,296 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LOYAL AG
MrsGDub04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We are thinking about buying a sofa from Star Furniture in Bryan. Right now they are saying everything in the store is 20% off. It seems to be they are always running some type of promo, does anyone know if they ever raise the promo to above 20% off? Thanks!
BCStalk
I honestly don't think so. We buy 90 percent of our furniture from them and I don't think we've ever bought anything that wasn't on sale.
AggiePhil
AG
20% off is their best sale. They do it a few times a year. Any time we need furniture, we wait for one of those sales.
LOYAL AG
AG
Furniture is like cars and airline tickets. Nobody knows the real price.
aggiepaintrain
AG
offer another 10% off for cash

everything is negotiable there, tell them
to ask the manager
75AG
AG
Don't they make even more money on finance charges? They give up some percentage for credit card, but it's not 10%. All that to say, I don't think cash is king on furniture. But then again, I really don't know nuthin'.
TXCityGirl
We tried to buy a sofa there, but they don't have much "in stock". Were told we had to wait for 6-8 weeks for it to be made, so that didn't work for us. Moral - don't be in a hurry for a new large sofa!
techno-ag
AG
We bought a nice leather sofa there. They offered financing but I used a points rewards card. Sales guy said they always offer financing but he agreed a rewards card is the way to go, especially if you pay it off every month.

They had to fetch it from their Houston warehouse and deliver it. Didn't take long. Good people there.
rodan85
AG
They do have a price match for 30 days. I bought a couch a few days before 4th of July and was worried about them having a sale better than 20% off.

Look at your emails for one day sales! It was 30% off for one day only. We got $400 back when I went in and asked for it.
Jinx
For the record, we ordered online from them. Good experience overall. Got a little worried when there was no delivery tracking but it showed up on the day I was expecting. I thought it would be the local store but the guys came up from Houston.
LOYAL AG
AG
75AG said:

Don't they make even more money on finance charges? They give up some percentage for credit card, but it's not 10%. All that to say, I don't think cash is king on furniture. But then again, I really don't know nuthin'.
Probably not. In fact they probably lose money on "in house" financing. Usually "in house" actually means it's a private label credit card through a bank (ie Synchrony) and those programs charge the retailer several points more than Visa or MasterCard does. That 60-months same as cash deal consumers love to take may cost the retailer as much as 15% of the total of ticket, sales tax included. Even the deals that feature interest to the consumer cost between 3% and 6% to the retailer in most cases.

If you watch prices over time from places that offer those kinds of deals you'll actually see them increase when there's a 0% deal so that the sofa that's $3000 in normal times might be $3500 at 0% times. Go to Furniture Row and you'll see a sale price and a monthly payment. Add up all the monthly payments and it's several percent higher than the sale price. It's an effort to pass on their fee to you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.