The Eagle

5,160 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by bobinator
Agshooter05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Although several of the employees of the Eagle are great people I've had to unsubscribe from their daily emails. The headlines are politically biased and their coverage of COVID has also carried a political tone. Very disappointing for a local newspaper with a mostly conservative target audience
FlyRod
I enjoy their app, along with KBTX's very much. Both are useful and informative.
75AG
AG
Agshooter05 said:

Although several of the employees of the Eagle are great people I've had to unsubscribe from their daily emails. The headlines are politically biased and their coverage of COVID has also carried a political tone. Very disappointing for a local newspaper with a mostly conservative target audience
Headline writers are always new, younger, less experienced employees. However, I've found their COVID reporting to be spot-on, and in line with medical and scientific recommendations. To each his/her own.
jeffk
AG
Headlines are meant to drive engagement. Negative or positive, doesn't matter.
doubledog
Agshooter05 said:

My patriot prefers the buzzard over all other publications.
Drilltime
We maintain a subscription partly just to keep a local paper going. No digital media does quite what a local paper can do for a community.
EBrazosAg
AG
KBTX just as bad if not worse. Their fear mongering gets worse daily.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
theNetSmith
AG
Drilltime said:

We maintain a subscription partly just to keep a local paper going. No digital media does quite what a local paper can do for a community.
line the bird cage?
Muzzleblast
The Fish Wrap is mostly cut and paste from the AP.

Their CV coverage has been O. K. aside from calling any positive test a case.

Their price for delivery has skyrocketed and I'm considering dropping it.
FlyRod
If The Eagle and KBTX aren't folks' jam, there is always that stalwart bastion of truth and integrity: the Politics Forum.
Hammerheadjim
AG
FlyRod said:

If The Eagle and KBTX aren't folks' jam, there is always that stalwart bastion of truth and integrity: the Politics Forum.
Perhaps the commentary of dissatisfaction noted in this, the local forum is meant to give advice to the two local news sources. Not necessarily to run them out of town, but to say hey, we are not liking your tenor and tone. Maybe come back home and quit trying to act like the media from the big cities. Keep it local and keep it simple.

That is all.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
Agshooter05
Couldn't have said it better
Gigem314
AG
FlyRod said:

Some of the local reporting over there has certainly proven to be more accurate. Perhaps too accurate for some comfort levels. But it's always easier to blame F16 for every problem instead of discussing the actual issue.
FlyRod
Quote:

Perhaps the commentary of dissatisfaction noted in this, the local forum is meant to give advice to the two local news sources. Not necessarily to run them out of town, but to say hey, we are not liking your tenor and tone. Maybe come back home and quit trying to act like the media from the big cities. Keep it local and keep it simple.

That is all.

Perhaps that both The Eagle and KBTX are still going strong means that this, the *local* forum, isn't quite as representative of the 200,000 or so BCS metro residents that folks imagine it to be.

I mean, Rusty Surette has over 11,000 followers on Twitter, and I doubt that many of them are non-local. And he's just one local media dude.

But I digress.
TexasAggie_02
AG
FlyRod said:

funny, b/c they quickly debunked the racist windshield note hoax that KBTX was peddling.
Ratsa
Yep, and when the truth came out, KBTX reported that too.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Ratsa said:

Yep, and when the truth came out, KBTX reported that too.
yet, they never followed up or pressured the university to issue a follow-up statement after Young made a spectacle out of it and offered a reward.
FlyRod
Perhaps because that's the responsibility of the TAMU admins above Young?
lost my dog
FlyRod said:

Perhaps that both The Eagle and KBTX are still going strong means that this, the *local* forum, isn't quite as representative of the 200,000 or so BCS metro residents that folks imagine it to be.

This. Exactly.
taxpreparer
AG
The Eagle may not be as strong as you think. I heard, this week, they may not make it through the end of the year. Could be a false but it came from an employee.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
W
AG
I think the Sunday edition is up to $4.00
Stupe
S
The head of A&M called the school and the local population a bunch of racists and issued a reward based on a lie. Not a "misunderstanding"...a LIE.

And it isn't the job of the local media to try and hold him accountable for that?
91_Aggie
AG
FlyRod said:

I doubt either of them are "going strong"... clinging to life desperately that they have to resort to lazy tricks to get clicks is more like it.
techno-ag
AG
This is what happens when ownership is no longer local, sad to say.

I trust WTAW for the best local coverage, and the Wall Street Journal for national news.

KBTX does still offer the best local weather, I'll give it that.
Buy a man eat fish, he day, teach fish man, to a lifetime.

- Joe Biden

I think that, to be very honest with you, I do believe that we should have rightly believed, but we certainly believe that certain issues are just settled.

- Kamala Harris
bobinator
AG
The Eagle just has too few reporters covering too many things on the news side for any of them to be familiar enough with them to do really good reporting, and the pay for that kind of journalism is so bad now that basically anyone really good they hire is off to the next thing within a year or two.

I worked there for like two and a half years and the entire news side of the newsroom turned over twice.

Almost everyone I know that's still there are hard working folks that are trying hard to cover the news fairly, but it's just really tough right now with the limited resources.
KidDoc
AG
techno-ag said:

This is what happens when ownership is no longer local, sad to say.

I trust WTAW for the best local coverage, and the Wall Street Journal for national news.

KBTX does still offer the best local weather, I'll give it that.
And their sports are nice for local/regional coverage.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
frito bandito
We gave up on the Eagle when local sports reporting/stories did not keep up with the new high schools. It seemed that it was the same number of reporters covering twice the teams, but column inches for stories did not increase. I guess Eagle management at the time was constrained by ownership to manage costs. One would think that a no brainer would be to keep parents subscribing would be to cover local high school sports to read stories about their kids. No stories, no reason to subscribe; as others have stated, better and cheaper sources for news and weather through other channels.
91_Aggie
AG
My wife is a luddite and loves reading the paper in her hands.
But the subscription was getting to almost $400/year for daily, so we said goodbye

I was still get "News Alerts" in my email from the Eagle, but when I clicked to read them they had a paywall.

That's fine... I'll just go to KBTX website or WTAW website to read about it.
Thanks for letting me know about the breaking news,though.
GSS
After decades being a continuous subscriber (the last 2 yrs online only, due to rural location), I cancelled. Not easy to cancel, as their online system simply does not offer that option, so an email was sent.

Received a call from their CS, very nice agent. Dutifully asked why I was cancelling; I responded the opinion and editorial content in the major news stories, their use of the Texas Tribune as a news source, and the editorial content was simply more than I could pay for....
bobinator
AG
It's not only twice the big schools, but still the same number of small schools. Y'all wouldn't believe how hard the sports staff worked to get as much stuff in the paper as they could each week. In fact when I was there they not only had to get it in the paper but the Eagle also had a high school sports radio segment to fill every day.

And then a few years ago they lost two absolutely great high school writers when Bowen and Campbell left. Those dudes would write about a middle school chess tournament if someone asked them to cover it and there was space in the paper.

I've actually wondered before if The Eagle shouldn't drop its A&M sports coverage and just go all in on high school coverage. I'd think that would help with advertising also.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.