Best Mexican food in Aggieland???

16,684 Views | 90 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SPI-FlatsCatter 84
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Coronas on WJB for a good hole in the wall.

We also like Tacos la Perlita on Harvey, Papa Perez in a pinch, and Cilantro for our normal rotation. There are several others I like, but they're a little too authentic for the kids, so not on our regular list.
KALALL
AG
El Sol de Mexico
AggieBaseball06
AG
Garpez has tasty breakfast tacos.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Juan y Lindas in Anderson
frito bandito
Tailgate88 said:

If you have not tried Mas Fajitas yet, you should. We've been twice so far and it is our go-to sit down Mexican place now.
Our first try had the absolute worst service for pickup; arrived when told to; had to wait 45 minutes past the time our food was supposed to be ready. We were told it was a shift change in the kitchen. Food was cold, and packaged in foil containers that couldn't be micro-waved. I will not go back.
halibut sinclair
Mas Fajitas is pretty good. We've dined in and done pickup with no issues. Margaritas are tasty. Nothing really stood out as excellent for us tho.
jeffk
AG
Yeah, I've only eaten Mas F once and it was fine. Chile relleno is my go-to order and it wasn't anything special.
FlyRod
Ahhhh forgot about Garpez. Haven't hit them up since pandemic. So good.
milner79
Tailgate88 said:

If you have not tried Mas Fajitas yet, you should. We've been twice so far and it is our go-to sit down Mexican place now.

Tried it a couple Sundays ago, thought it was only so-so.
TXAG 05
AG
bobinator said:

I said 'food just needs to be decent' in that category. Lupe is fine and it's easy for a group.

Frankly that's one category that I think we're lacking in is your classic 'going out for margaritas' tex-mex style place.

Not sure what that means. Why would you go eat somewhere knowing the food isn't that good? Anyone can make a margarita.
legalbird
This topic is 100% relative. If you have time and money, visit each place listed and make a summary.
bobinator
AG
The difference is a group going "hey where's the best place for mexican food for dinner?" vs "Hey, it's Bob/Beth's birthday, why don't we all meet up somewhere for margaritas, but we haven't eaten so somewhere with food."

I don't care much for Lupe actually (it's not bad, but again, it's fine) but my wife likes it, but every time I've ever been in there it seems like it's at least three different people's birthdays and they all seem to be having a good time so I figured it was good for that. And compared to the other places that seem like that (On the Border, Chuy's, Los Cucos, Casa Rod), I'd say Lupe's food is probably the best *of that group*.

Not sure why I'm being grilled over the controversial opinion that Lupe Tortilla's food is "fine."
snaglepuss
I was going to say Pepe's but now you will have to wait 3 days for them to get their license back. Lol.
jeffk
AG
Pepe's crunchy tacos are like crack.
Well, okay then
AG
jeffk said:

Yes, with the red sauce, absolutely addictive!
pacecar02
this list of names should include specific items and descriptions of those dishes/tacos/etc

lotsa places have slightly different takes on the same dish. No need to discriminate. Just look at the different type of salsa/hot sauce

Do you like red, tomatillo, green? do you like it chilled or warm?

edit: Who has the best barbacoa?

Mathguy64
AG
All I have to say is I miss Gina's and the Volcan.
halibut sinclair
Mathguy64 said:

All I have to say is I miss Gina's and the Volcan.

And La Taqueria and Casa Tomas.
Goose83
AG
Surprised about the love for Casa Rod still, as the last time I went it was pretty down on it's luck.

Cilantro is where I would go if it were my choice.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
AggieBaseball06 said:

In a thread about the best Mexican food, I'm curious how Lupe Tortilla worked its way into the conversation.

They have better fajitas than anybody in town and it is not even close.

After moving back from Houston, I have come to realize CS really doesn't have good Mexican food.
jeffk
AG
El Charro has much better fajitas.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I will give them another shot.
bobinator
AG
aggie1819 said:

I have come to realize CS really doesn't have good Mexican food.
This is a common take on here that I disagree with. I think we have several really good options for breakfast, and a few really good options for lunch.

But I think we're lacking in like "sit down with the family and friends for a few drinks and dinner" type Mexican places.

Even if El Charro is really good, which I haven't been there yet, that's still only one place. And I didn't think Cilantro was as good as people on here do, but I'm willing to accept that maybe I got a bad day and I should try it again. But that's still pretty narrow selection for a sit down dinner.
jja79
AG
BCS has great local Mexican food options.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Well, okay then said:

jeffk said:

Yes, with the red sauce, absolutely addictive!
Pepes red sauce is the bomb.

Pepes needs a College Station location.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
El Charro had good fajita meat. The rest was ok. Nothing to write home about.

I eat breakfast tacos 2-3 days a week from La Familia. This is probably the only thing I crave.

We need something like an El Tiempo or Original Ninfas on Navigation.
Bpriefert
Rosa's (Tortilla Factory)

Yeah Rosa's.

Fast. Cheap, but mostly because decent quality steak cuts for the fajita's, fresh tortillas, cliff divers, and being able to get up and refill my drink without relying on someone who cranks up the charm right before handing you the bill, trumps most of these places. By the time I end up paying the pretty Mexican gals at the counter, I can walk around, pick up my tray, drink and condiments and be digging in before most other places have a server come to their table to take the order. We are then out of there and off to more productive things in our day/evening other than sitting around waiting.
Tailgate88
AG
bobinator said:

aggie1819 said:

I have come to realize CS really doesn't have good Mexican food.
This is a common take on here that I disagree with. I think we have several really good options for breakfast, and a few really good options for lunch.

But I think we're lacking in like "sit down with the family and friends for a few drinks and dinner" type Mexican places.

Even if El Charro is really good, which I haven't been there yet, that's still only one place. And I didn't think Cilantro was as good as people on here do, but I'm willing to accept that maybe I got a bad day and I should try it again. But that's still pretty narrow selection for a sit down dinner.
Hopefully your prayers are about to be answered.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/30/new-upscale-mexican-restaurant-coming-to-century-square/
DisneyFan5
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Their location and building was iffy 20 years ago....it has not improved much over time.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Bpriefert said:

Rosa's (Tortilla Factory)

Yeah Rosa's.

Fast. Cheap, but mostly because decent quality steak cuts for the fajita's, fresh tortillas, cliff divers, and being able to get up and refill my drink without relying on someone who cranks up the charm right before handing you the bill, trumps most of these places. By the time I end up paying the pretty Mexican gals at the counter, I can walk around, pick up my tray, drink and condiments and be digging in before most other places have a server come to their table to take the order. We are then out of there and off to more productive things in our day/evening other than sitting around waiting.
Rosas is really underrated imho.
yawny06
AG
Hammerheadjim said:

Sargento's in Snook wasn't bad at all.

Well, okay then
AG
DisneyFan5 said:

Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

Their location and building was iffy 20 years ago....it has not improved much over time.
The location is a absolute disaster. I'm thinking they may just stay with drive-thru only for a while even after the corona. Which is fine by me as long as the crispy tacos with red sauce keep flowing.
jeffk
AG
Pepe's is a hole-in-the wall taco joint. Not sure what y'all are expecting from the place as far as decor or ambiance.
taxpreparer
AG
Pepe's has been the best fast food Mexican food place for fifty years. Unfortunately, the building has been severely neglected and shows its age. The owner was making plans to open a location in College Station, saved a lot of money to do, but then the road project on South College destroyed easy access to the store for almost a year and the4 savings were used to keep the business open. Corona hit them hard, like it did a every restaurant.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Well, okay then
AG
jeffk said:

Pepe's is a hole-in-the wall taco joint. Not sure what y'all are expecting from the place as far as decor or ambiance.
Not saying I don't like it myself! But over the last few years, it's kind of gone beyond the hole-in-the-wall stage. Didn't keep me from eating there of course.

To get where I am, I thought, and still think, that the holes in the board floor of the original Cow Hop, where you could see to the ground below it, were cool.
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.