Spring break - uh oh

4,758 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by selk
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It is, how you say...1 day.

Students are going to flip ***** Lol.
rsa
AG
Faculty & staff aren't going to be overly thrilled either.
Tailgate88
AG
Great.

I believe you but got a link?
texasaggie04
AG
Email from Provost.

Quote:

Dear Texas A&M Community,
We have now crossed the midpoint of the fall semester, and I want to thank and congratulate our staff, students, and faculty for their outstanding work in this very unusual year. I recognize that the adjustments we made have challenged us in ways we never imagined. Please know that I am grateful to be able to work with you to meet our mission of providing our students the best education as safely as possible.
As indicated in my previous correspondence, we need to adjust the spring 2021 calendar for graduate and undergraduate students in College Station and Galveston so that the university can begin addressing issues critical to the provision of services as safely as possible.
The spring semester will start on Tuesday, January 19, 2021, as scheduled. However, the semester will end earlier, with the last day of classes on Thursday, April 29, 2021 and the last day of finals on Friday, May 7, 2021. These changes reflect the following:
  • The reduction of spring break from one full week to one day, Friday, March 19, 2021, to minimize extensive travel and allow the semester to conclude earlier for additional commencements;
  • Additional time needed in May to conduct planned in-person commencement ceremonies over a two-week period, May 8-21, 2021, with safety and appropriate physical distancing in place;
  • An additional day needed for final exams because of increased asynchronous remote delivery;
  • The addition of a one-day break for Texas Independence Day on Tuesday, March 2, 2021 around midterms while keeping the Friday, April 2, 2021 reading day;
  • The previously scheduled staff holidays on March 17-18, 2021 are changed to Wednesday, December 23, 2020 and Friday, May 28, 2021;
  • March 19, 2021 will remain a staff holiday.
The full academic calendar for the spring semester has been updated and posted at registrar.tamu.edu/Academic-Calendar.
At this time, departments are finalizing spring course offerings, and registration will begin as scheduled on November 5. The spring schedule will be similar to the fall as we will once again have the goal of offering 50% of total course sections and 50% of undergraduate semester credit hours taught face-to-face. Our goal is provide undergraduate students with at least two face-to-face classes. One new option we are providing is for some course sections to be offered only face-to-face, although those courses must either be an elective or also have a section of the course offered remotely. Passing periods will remain the same and the face covering policy will remain in effect.
As always, I encourage you to continue to physical distance, wash your hands frequently, wear face coverings, and stay home if you are feeling ill. Thank you for everything you've done to keep our campus operating as safely as possible.
Sincerely,
Carol A. Fierke
Provost and Executive Vice President

australopithecus robustus
I love it. This is awesome news!
Muzzleblast
Liberal busy bodies protecting you from you.
chickencoupe16
AG
**** this.
nthomas99
AG
Makes total sense with the blowup of cases and hospitalizations we've seen from students coming back and our children returning to school. Oh wait...
Rearview
AG
This creates a discord between local ISDs and parents who work for TAMU. We were going to have three days off at spring break, but now just 1. School age children will still be off for the whole week though (supposedly).
Stupe
S
So freaking stupid.
tb9665
Kind of expected it when I saw what Baylor did.
FlyRod
People are upset that thousands of students won't be spending their money elsewhere, but spending it here instead?

Ok.
motherrunnersBCS
So, no confidence in a vaccine next semester? .
AggieBarstool
Stupe said:

So freaking stupid.
Please, elaborate.

When you consider that the school has to be in-session to a certain number of days per semester, and that the school has had to change it's long-planned schedules for the fall and spring semesters, they had to cut holidays somewhere.

Where else would you propose they cut those days?

Would you rather they have weekend / evening classes?

It's a **** situation no matter which way you sniff it.
texasaggie04
AG
FlyRod said:

People are upset that thousands of students won't be spending their money elsewhere, but spending it here instead?

Ok.

This probably won't have any economic impact. The semester will just be a week shorter so students are in town for the same amount of time as normal.
Stupe
S
This is being done in order to give more time for commencements. Why not add an extra week instead of making a bunch of changes to the semester?
Stupe
S
histag10
AG
My guess is that high schools have already rented out campus facilities for their graduations, which typically fall a week or so after TAMUs
ratfacemcdougal
Not a student, no kids, but student employees....so just asking. The TAMU students are out before Thanksgiving, correct? I know in the past spring school started the day after the MLK holiday. Since they are out for Christmas break early, would it not make sense to start spring early, then you could get a few more days at spring break. What is the spring start date right now?
cavscout96
AG
ratfacemcdougal said:

Not a student, no kids, but student employees....so just asking. The TAMU students are out before Thanksgiving, correct? I know in the past spring school started the day after the MLK holiday. Since they are out for Christmas break early, would it not make sense to start spring early, then you could get a few more days at spring break. What is the spring start date right now?
unchanged. 19 Jan
scd88
AG
I think the idea is to keep kids from going to Florida beaches, for example, and bringing the virus "back" to campus. I feel like they want to get kids here; keep them here; and then let them go a few days early.
jja79
AG
rsa said:

Most grown ups don't get Spring break. They're going to be fine.
Stupe
S
Grown ups with grown up jobs that have vacation time get Spring Break if they want it.
milner79
Recognizing Texas Independence Day?! That's a first, true?
scd88
AG
milner79 said:

Recognizing Texas Independence Day?! That's a first, true?

Yeah, I like this part.
tb9665
I know people that did not have any time off from TAMU from March on and where on campus the whole time.
Mathguy64
AG
rsa said:

Staff didnt get Spring Break before.
Kbeauty63
AG
High School Graduations are typically around Memorial Day weekend & the 1st weekend in June
cavscout96
AG
Mathguy64 said:

rsa said:

Staff didnt get Spring Break before.
half-true

While the university is still, technically, "open" during SB, the staff usually get a couple or three days of holiday and the 2-3 days they are in the office are pretty light and many choose to take vacation.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
tb9665 said:

I know people that did not have any time off from TAMU from March on and where on campus the whole time.
This. The essential people didn't get that 6 months "work from home" time, which for most turned out to be almost 6 months paid time off.
Stupe
S
If you think that "most" of the people that were at home were just kicking back, taking time off, and not working....you are completely clueless as to what they were doing.

That is as polite as I can say that.
FlyRod
^Seconded.
DisneyFan5
At lease they didn't schedule it for Wednesday.
CS78
So basically the Univ playing big brother and preventing students from having a life outside of College Station. Screw em!
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Stupe said:

If you think that "most" of the people that were at home were just kicking back, taking time off, and not working....you are completely clueless as to what they were doing.

That is as polite as I can say that.

True story. I've essentially been at work constantly since mid March. I took a Friday off a couple months ago, but other than that been working and available/responding to email at all hours.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.