mesquite lumber?

3,161 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agfan2013
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

There used to be a place behind sodalaks that made custom stuff out of mesquite... but either im going to the wrong place or they've moved or gone out of business...

anyone know about it?

or know where I can get mesquite lumber?
EBrazosAg
AG
Don't know about the place you describe. Tekton Timber does some mesquite along with other stuff. Look them up on FB.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
studioone
Their mesquite and other lumber is about double or triple the going rate....

Guy in navasota sells mesquite, when he has it, for $9 per board foot. Theirs is $20... both are mesquite, both are kiln dried...

so still looking..
EBrazosAg
AG
Tekton more about big pieces so that doesn't surprise me. Don't know anyone else. Tekton refinished a table top made from PostOak for me and it looks awesome and was well priced for what they did (compared to the original fabrication for sure ). Some great pieces at their shop if I was a woodworker.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
You're probably talking about Hardwood Designs. Brandon Claborn and Jim Matson. Both really good guys.
studioone
Rasslin Cheesehead said:

You're probably talking about Hardwood Designs. Brandon Claborn and Jim Matson. Both really good guys.
who?
Rasslin Cheesehead
AG
http://www.hardwooddesigns.net/
studioone
Rasslin Cheesehead said:

mm.. not quite... I'm only needing a single piece thats about 10 inches x 15 inches x 2 inches thick...

I'm a hobbyest sculptor/woodturner (in addition to everything else..) and needing a highly specific small piece... normally they dont have them that wide, and usually wont talk to you if you need a tiny piece...

www.dartwoodworks.com

Dart is Darrin And Rebecca's Twins. Dart..

EBrazosAg
AG
Now that studioone has revealed what he wants surprised it's just not available on some online place.

Having said that - Hardwood Designs are the bomb for your home finish needs. Brandon and team did mesquite flooring for me 17 years ago - finished in their factory. It still looks great and I anticipate the refinishing being done decades in the future.
studioone
EBrazosAg said:

Now that studioone has revealed what he wants surprised it's just not available on some online place.

Having said that - Hardwood Designs are the bomb for your home finish needs. Brandon and team did mesquite flooring for me 17 years ago - finished in their factory. It still looks great and I anticipate the refinishing being done decades in the future.

if you understood that people NORMALLY don't want flooring, then you might understand my need... I was looking for a MILL... a MILL will NORMALLY supply anyhting I need, whether its in inches, feet or truckload. BUT all the mills I deal with are short on mesquite. Others may have some, but its triple the going rate.. so I'm shopping around...
studioone
Normally I'm just driving around town with a chainsaw getting random tree trunks... I turn... so I dont need milled lumber, except this one time I would like some mesquite of a certain dimension... IF I need to, ill just go cut a tree down...

woodiewood1
studioone said:

Rasslin Cheesehead said:

mm.. not quite... I'm only needing a single piece thats about 10 inches x 15 inches x 2 inches thick...

I'm a hobbyest sculptor/woodturner (in addition to everything else..) and needing a highly specific small piece... normally they dont have them that wide, and usually wont talk to you if you need a tiny piece...

www.dartwoodworks.com

I probably have a piece that fits your specs.....and it would be free!
studioone
woodiewood1 said:

studioone said:

Rasslin Cheesehead said:

www.dartwoodworks.com

I probably have a piece that fits your specs.....and it would be free!

I like free.. lol... can trade if needed. or pay..
woodiewood1
Let me check my stock later today. I have a few dozen boards and blanks left. I do have four pieces of clear mesquite that is 8 to 10 inches wide, 1 1/2 inch thick and 8 feet long, but not for sale....some day a dining table top.

I think you came by my house last year or two about the same time of the year. You made the comment about all of my Oxbloods in bloom in my front yard.
woodiewood1
I have piece that is a little larger you can trim down that has a partial crack. Would that work?
woodiewood1
This work?
studioone

email me plz...

darrin at avalonweddingsbcs dot com
techno-ag
AG
Another successful TexAgs meetup.
studioone

MAYBE... Techno.. nothing is 100% guaranteed on TexAgs ...

You need some bees out at your place?
studioone
hey woodie.. can u email me?
woodiewood1
studioone said:

hey woodie.. can u email me?
Emailed.
agfan2013
AG
So I might be a bit late to the party on this but I am going to be making some end grain cutting boards for Christmas gifts this year. I've already got some red oak and alder, and want to add some darker wood to the mix like walnut and maybe mesquite.

I'm similar to the OP in that I just need a few feet of a 1X4 or 2X4 of each to make a few cutting boards and lowes and home depot dont carry those (well, home depot has some 2X4s of walnut, but I'm not looking to spend $160 on a 8 foot board of it).

Is the Tekton Timber a good place for these small size type pieces or anywhere else yall suggest? For the poster woodiewood1, if you have some mesquite pieces for sale, I'd be interested in talking a price...
studioone
dunno... they're like double the normal going rate for milled lumber... but they MIGHT have a random cutoff pile you could go through... Let me know if they do...

There is a guy on 105 west of navasota that has a mill... He had some walnut las ttime I looked... And Burton Mill works in Burton is good, but not close...

email me at Darrin@avalonweddingsbcs.com if you want the guy in navasota's number.
EriktheRed
AG
mostly smaller stuff, but i have picked up a ton of scraps from Hardwood Designs in the past. Worth a shot
agfan2013
AG
Thanks for the responses guys. studioone, I'll shoot you an email.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.