Drama on the highest

3,559 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Playtuagain
lost my dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is John Sharp thinking? Putting this on letterhead in the public domain? Regardless of what you think of Young or what he said, it's like Sharp doesn't want anyone with a lick of sense applying for the president's position

https://wtaw.com/texas-am-chancellor-reacts-to-am-presidents-remarks-to-the-faculty-senate-about-merit-raises/
toolshed
AG
If we had a competent president, I don't know that Sharp would have to call him out for lying about why the board didn't pass the raises.

Sharp jumped the gun, handing out raises before they were approved, then when they weren't he tried to use the excuse that he was being attacked for politics, obviously referring to his stance on things on campus and the disaster of the fake hate crime. Sharp called him out for trying to turn it around and blame someone else instead of accepting the blame for screwing up.

I don't like Sharp, but I'm not sure what the issue is here.
CS78
About time Young is called out for his ineptitude. He's a known liar that puts himself and his liberal agenda above all else.
lost my dog
The real issue is not Sharp vs Young, since that is old hat. The real problem is that the rest of the world will see the chancellor calling out the president and good candidates to replace Young will say "hell no, I'm not stepping into that situation"

Sharp could have reamed Young in a private conversation. The fact that he did it in a letter on letterhead which was leaked, and then Young's reply was also leaked, means the world knows it happens. This would lead any good candidate for TAMU CS president who knows how to use Google search to reconsider applying for the position. It's like we're back to the time after Loftin, when no one serious would apply for the job.

Unless Sharp has an internal candidate he wants, and wants to discourage serious external candidates from applying...
Cholula Verde
AG
toolshed said:

If we had a competent president, I don't know that Sharp would have to call him out for lying about why the board didn't pass the raises.

Sharp. Young jumped the gun, handing out raises before they were approved, then when they weren't he tried to use the excuse that he was being attacked for politics, obviously referring to his stance on things on campus and the disaster of the fake hate crime. Sharp called him out for trying to turn it around and blame someone else instead of accepting the blame for screwing up.

I don't like Sharp, but I'm not sure what the issue is here.
Typo corrected!
toolshed
AG
Thanks!
toolshed
AG
Or, it lets ANY candidate know that there are consequences for their actions. In this case, I don't see any consequences other than being called out publicly. For all I know, Sharp has called him out privately numerous time and Young still pulls crap like this, seeking to blame it on a political hit job, when that wasn't the case. He made a promise he didn't have the authority to make and couldn't man up and accept the responsibility of his actions and say he was wrong.

If a "serious" candidate, as you put it, I'd scared off by accountability, then we don't need them. We need someone with a spine, who holds the Traditions and values of A&M, a traditionally conservative university, sacred. Not someone with an addenda to change what A&M is and has been at its core.
Cholula Verde
AG
This!
oldag00
AG
There are a M$LL$ON reasons that well qualified people will be interested in the president's job.
redball
What specifically (as in a quote) did Young say to the Faculty Senate?
Stupe
S
Sharp's thin skin is the reason that we had that "time after Lofton". That time frame shouldn't have happened until Lofton was ready to retire.
Stupe
S
Quote:

The real problem is that the rest of the world will see the chancellor calling out the president and good candidates to replace Young will say "hell no, I'm not stepping into that situation"
Anyone that is scared off by that shouldn't be there in the first place. It's called accountability and a qualified person with the fortitude that it takes to do that job correctly won't shy away because of this.

Stupe
S
Quote:

He made a promise he didn't have the authority to make and couldn't man up and accept the responsibility of his actions and say he was wrong.
You're going to have to narrow that down so we know what you're talking about.
isitjustme
AG
Now if only Sharp would call out Ag VC Stover for his ill-advised approach to reorganization. That is overdue as well. First IT, then advising, then business services, and now communications. And it all started with the Gardens RIFs as well as a few other programs. And noone knows it's coming until it happens. Poor management!
lost my dog
Some of you are letting your dislike of Young cloud your judgment. Managing in the press is poor management style. Do you see any well-run private company discussing mistakes like this in the news? Can you recall an episode where Greg Abbott called out an underling in such a manner?

Accountability would imply there were some consequences. What are the consequences of this letter for Young? So he's embarrassed. At the end of the day, Sharp still has to work with him until May.

As for how this affects the search for Young's replacement - well-qualified candidates for university presidencies have lots of options. They can get well paid at many institutions. We had a very difficult time getting good applicants after Loftin was fired (which is one reason we got Young.)

And I know some of you will attack me for this, and this is not meant as a defense of Young, but a burning love for Texas A&M because you had a good time as an undergrad here 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago is not the most important qualification for being A&M's president. For example, Gates wasn't an Aggie, but he grew to love this place.
Stupe
S
Quote:

Some of you are letting your dislike of Young cloud your judgment.
lost my dog
I don't like Young. I do like well-managed institutions. I would like the possibility of a good president next fall.
Cholula Verde
AG
"Accountability would imply there were some consequences. What are the consequences of this letter for Young? So he's embarrassed. At the end of the day, Sharp still has to work with him until May."

Maybe he has to work with him until May.......or maybe not! Someone else touched on this, it certainly appears Young has been making similar blunders for a long time and it looks like Sharp is reaching his tolerance for Young's ineptitude.
instapt
A&M reappointment letters have a disclaimer every year that "pending final board of regents' approval, this will be your raise and salary for the upcoming year." This year, for the first time, the BoR decided to renege on the previously promised (laughable ~1.5%) merit raise pool. In light of the circumstances and significant additional burden on TAMU employees since last March, Young simply wanted it known that this shortsighted and demoralizing action was not on him, but on the BoR. But with TAMU administration looking to be a toxic work environment and the chancellor a bully, he decided to publicly air his dirty laundry with his typical and unfortunate passive-aggressive blundering.
Carnwellag2
lost my dog said:

The real issue is not Sharp vs Young, since that is old hat. The real problem is that the rest of the world will see the chancellor calling out the president and good candidates to replace Young will say "hell no, I'm not stepping into that situation"
this is a stretch.

The Lure of A&M is the size of the school, the budget and the Million dollar salary. people aren't going to shy away from that
Carnwellag2
instapt said:

In light of the circumstances and significant additional burden on TAMU employees since last March,
??????????????????
Cholula Verde
AG
lost my dog said:

I don't like Young. I do like well-managed institutions. I would like the possibility of a good president next fall.
You have obviously given this topic a great deal of thought. What are the requirements you feel are necessary for you to say a University president is "good" ?
Playtuagain
AG
Get rid of all of em! Everyone one needs to go.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.