Default HOA President asking for help ?

2,439 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by KenJohse
BeenSent
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy!

By Default I am the HOA president in my community and I am having a terrible time finding out what other HOA's charge for annual dues -- I know everyone complains about HOAs and I want to be responsive to our homeowners but also keep the association solvent. Our meeting is next week and I want to provide everyone as much information as possible.

Would anyone be willing to volunteer what their annual HOA dues are?

Dove Crossing
Reatta Meadows
Sun Meadows
Edelwiess
Devonshire
Edelweiss Gardens
Bridle Gate Estates
Brandon Heights
Sonoma

With many thanks,
nought
AG
What expenses does your HOA have? What is it responsible for maintaining? A combination of that information and the number of houses in the HOA will help you figure out what is appropriate in terms of dues.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
Call these folks -- many on that list are managed here.

https://bhhscaliber.com/hoa/

Berkshire Hathaway HomeServices Caliber Realty extends its management services to various homeowners associations in the region in fact, we are the leading HOA Management Team in Brazos County. With a dedicated HOA staff, our team of highly skilled and organized professionals will help keep your neighborhood in tip-top shape.
Over the years, we have built an unparalleled reputation for being one of the most outstanding property managers in Central Texas. Combined industry experience, dedication, and loyalty to our clients have enabled us to build an excellent work portfolio managing residential, mixed-use, and commercial properties.
To view Deed Restrictions and Bylaws, CLICK HERE.
The Bylaws have the costs. i.e. Sonoma Bylaws 16.03 section has assessment cost.
BeenSent
AG
We have to maintain greenspace along Longmire and between HWY 6 and along Barron Road. We also have greenspace on Eagle to maintain as well. We have irrigation systems, and a landscaping service that mows and takes care of the irrigation. We have a homeowner greenbelt (wholly owned by the HOA and homeowners) and that needs to be mowed at least twice a year.

Like any other HOA we have trees that are aging and endanger sidewalks or homeowner fences that need to be taken care of. There are costs with reserving locations for annual meetings. I assume we are no different than any other neighborhood. We have no pool so that helps some. And we have about 200 homeowners.
dallasiteinsa02
Figure out your budget and then divide by the number of homeowners. Do a reserve study and add this to the number from the first calculation.

Other communities HOA dues are only helpful in determining if you are being as efficient as possible but no two HOAs are exactly the same.
AggieBarstool
nought said:

What expenses does your HOA have? What is it responsible for maintaining? A combination of that information and the number of houses in the HOA will help you figure out what is appropriate in terms of dues.
Yes, this should be the only factor in determining HOA fees, not some "Well, this is what <insert name of neighborhood here> is paying."

It probably wouldn't hurt to collect comparison data as a backup argument to support the financial data that drives the rates, but I wouldn't lead with that.
legalbird
The main thing to avoid is ever being seen as a money grab. I have lived in places where the sole objective was to make money and never spend it.
Tom in College Station
Edelweiss went up to $150 a year this year. Prior to that, it was $120 since we moved in back in 1999.
AFM
I know your neighborhood well and $180 is reasonable IMO due to the needs to care for the green space the residents own (it is worth it). You have a smaller community too so the cost will be a bit higher.

Castlegate II charges $600. The only difference is a pool that is open for 4 months during the year.
txgardengirl
You can also call neighborhood services at the city - they have a lot of good information.

Your dues should be set in your by-laws/CCR's - to change them you need a huge majority vote.

I would contact one of the companies that manages HOA's for a quote as well - BHHS, Beal Property Management and Neighborhood Services all come to mind.
91_Aggie
AG
Oh that sounds like the HOA for the neighborhood that totally screwed up the Lick Creek Trail.
TLIAC
AG
AFM said:

I know your neighborhood well and $180 is reasonable IMO due to the needs to care for the green space the residents own (it is worth it). You have a smaller community too so the cost will be a bit higher.

Castlegate II charges $600. The only difference is a pool that is open for 4 months during the year.
I know we have more residents but in Shenandoah we pay $200 a year (discounted to $180 if you pay early) and we have a pool, park and clubhouse that has to be maintained in addition to the green areas.
Nom de Plume
AG
Fwiw, 10+ years ago I was on the board of Bridle Gate Estates HOA. Dues were $120 annually for 53 properties.
KenJohse
AG
Over the years I have assisted HOAs with their accountng. Have you reviewed the financials for the last several years in order to determine if the current assessment is adequate? Do you have a reserve fund for future items? As mentioned before I believe the city could assist you.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.