Morning Glory?

2,745 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by FlyRod
MsDoubleD81
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but I recently moved here from DFW. I always had success with morning glory up there, growing from seed. I did the same here, but it hasn't bloomed. Very nice foliage, but no blooms.

Any suggestions or input?
woodiewood1
Mine are blooming and going crazy. Are they in the full sun?
MsDoubleD81
AG
Yes.
studioone
evil weeds.. they take over my flowerbeds..
BANA89
AG
Our attempts with morning glories were sketchy at best and we gave up a few years ago and similar for other plants that grew well in Dallas. I was told the soil here is mixed in patterns in the East-West direction like interlaced fingers and the finger you are on will determine what grows best there. Add our salty water and it's a toss up what will grow best.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
FlyRod
Having a similar problem. One purple one is blooming like crazy. The light blue one has giant fence covering foliage (which was the point) but no flowers.
Oogway
Our experience with morning glories has been positive. I don't know that they do quite as well here as they might in a slightly cooler zone, but overall we enjoy them while they last.

A couple of things we've noticed over the years:
We've had success with planting varieties in succession. Some seem to mature at different times and begin blooming.
Ours seem to prefer a little tough love--not too much fertilizer or it grows more and blooms less.
Some years we have loads of blooms on everything and other years it's a little less profuse. Since we harvest our own seed or replant volunteers, we figure that may be a cause.

The variety we've had the most blooms and hardiest plant in general has been Grandpa Ott. It's a deep purple.

This year we had trouble getting our blue ones to grow and bloom. Maybe because we used old seed.
We have our vines in full sun, morning sun only, and dappled light. Several are in pots with a trellis and good potting soil, a few are in amended garden dirt growing along a fence, and two sprouted in the ditch in the backyard and grew up the fence even though the light and soil are dim and clay, respectively. Those two are faring the poorest in terms of nice green leaves, but they have quite a few blooms.

We don't use any pest control on them. If something wants to chew on them, another vine will eventually replace it. They seem to multiply over night. We enjoy the bees that are drawn to them, and while the bees are around, they usually pollinate our vegetable plants so it's a win win.
pants
If we're talking about the same plant, they grow wild on the bank of the creek behind our house. They might have gotten loose from someone's landscape as we're right near a major drainage route.

We did not plant them and do nothing to help them. They're covered in blooms through 10:00 or 11:00 every morning at certain times of the year (including now). Full sun, mostly clay soil. Really pretty light purple blooms!
trouble
AG
Mine has been here since several owners ago and keeps coming back no matter how many times I pull it out.

It gets full morning sun and afternoon shade.
MsDoubleD81
AG
Thanks everyone. I put the seeds (can't remember which brand and soaked overnight first) in a pot (had them in the planter box next to mailbox in DFW).

Just disappointed because it was such a show stopper!!

Will it die back in the winter?
Hammerheadjim
AG
Grow them out of large containers next to a fence or trellis. Boom, everywhere.

Problem with morning glory is it grows where you don't want it to grow.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
AgResearch
AG
studioone said:

Agree. One of the world's worst weeds.

Agronomist/Weed Scientist, Ph.D.
oklaunion
Find some in the neighborhood or park or side of road with flowers you like. Dig up the roots and underground stems they form. Plant them where you want them. They won't die out around here.
MsDoubleD81
AG
At least I have a lot of hummingbirds! I'd really be p'od if not!
studioone

I sprayed a ton of them today with weedkiller.... but I have them everywhere coming up all the time in my flowerbeds.. I can get you as many as everyone on the planet will ever want... Each of my flowerbeds probably have over 100 - 500 morning glories, anywhere from tiny babies to full grown weeds...and they come up every year..... so... seriously.. if you want some....

otherwise I'll just keep spraying...

email me at

darrin at avalonweddingsbcs dot com.....
FearNoWeevil
AG
AgResearch said:

studioone said:

Agree. One of the world's worst weeds.
We joke about gauging the level of infestation by shaking a cotton plant on one end of the row and seeing if the other end of the row starts shaking too...
MsDoubleD81
AG
Well, it FINALLY started blooming last week. There are a ton more buds on there. Will probably short lived with the cold weather, but was happy to see the color!
FlyRod
These are the same kinds I have and they just started blooming this week.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.