After hours/ weekend pet euthenasia

4,518 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by JR Ewingford
BaitShack
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We've got a dog that doesn't have long left. We are scheduled for someone to come out and put her down on Monday but am not sure if she can make it that long. I know there's the vet school, but we'd like to do it at home, as she's probably not up for a car ride.

Does anyone have any leads on a vet that would make a house call tomorrow (Sunday) if it came to that? I know the chances are slim, being a holiday weekend. I just thought I'd ask. I've called around and everyone is closed.

Thanks.
momlaw
AG
I am so sorry.
Checking a few personal sources.

In the meantime, South 40 Vet advertises in home calls and after hours services.
They are new. Have heard positive feedback.
momlaw
momlaw
AG
My vet, Chasing Tails, who does in home care recommended Lap of Love, Colleen Lambo, who does in home, weekend and evening end of life care.

Thank you for caring so much for your critter.
momlaw
BaitShack
AG
Thanks, our appointment on Monday is with lap of love.
AggiePhil
AG
A vet worth their salt will do this for their clients/patients. We use Van Stavern and they have offered to do this for us before. Sorry you're going through this.
momlaw
AG
Van Stavern has taken care of end of life for many of ours and we are grateful.

The after hours gig is difficult to arrange in this community as so many clinics rely on Vet School Small Animal Clinic.

Was pleased to get two solid referrals for Lap of Love.
momlaw
BaitShack
AG
She had a good day. She got some sleep and is comfortable. My daughters carried her outside for her last sunset and some pictures.

BaitShack
AG
When we first got her. 14 years ago.

Aggies76
AG
Sweet girl. May she rest well.
75AG
75AG
AG
What a sweet puppy. God bless you.
chloelee
Prayers for broken hearts. Zoomies sweet angel.
scd88
AG
Thinking of you and your family today, Bait.

BaitShack
AG
My daughter and her having a moment this morning.
halibut sinclair
My eyes are leaking for some reason.
montegobay
I am so sorry!
NateDog
AG
Looks like a sweet pup. Sorry for your loss.
BlueMiles
BaitShack
AG
Thanks all. Ella girl is at rest. It was very peaceful. We took her out under a tree on some blankets, and did it there. Laps of Love was great. Very compassionate, very professional, and the vet gave us all the time we needed.
meezermom
So sorry for your loss. We went through this about a month ago - knew it was going to be happening at some point and was ready to get the vet to come to the house. Then Covid hit and that wasn't possible. I hope you find comfort in knowing you take great care of your baby and she is now at peace.
JMac03
AG
Many hugs. Losing our pets is so hard.
Counterpoint
AG
BaitShack said:

Thanks all. Ella girl is at rest. It was very peaceful. We took her out under a tree on some blankets, and did it there. Laps of Love was great. Very compassionate, very professional, and the vet gave us all the time we needed.
I think I may know y'all from the College Station dog park a long time ago? If so, I remember what an awesome dog she was back then. So sorry for your loss.
Jetty
AG
Unfortunately we had to have Colleen out earlier today ... our 16.5 year old lab mix was really struggling...
I cannot say enough good things about her. Her kindness, professionalism and skills were unbelievable...
It was a HARD day but she made it a whole lot easier. RIP Max
momlaw
AG
It is so difficult to tell "when".
We've had a few that we waited too long.
I found "How to Know When It's Time to Say Goodbye" helpful with objective markers.

momlaw
waterchick
Many hugs to all of you who have lost pets. It's so hard. Maggie crossed over the rainbow bridge this time last year. Glad you could find someone caring and compassionate to help you in this difficult time.
TravellingVet
Bait, I am heartbroken to see this!

A client today (Jetty, above!) found me through your post, and this is the first I've seen that you needed me sooner! I am so sorry!

I commit to specific on-call hours so that my support team can confidently schedule me without reaching out for approval, but if a client indicates they need me sooner, the team is supposed to ask me for availability! I will always try to make something work, day or night!

It was an honor to be a part of Ella's farewell, and I'm so glad you could all be there to show her how loved she was! Thank you for your kind words about my visit, and for loving your pup so much! I love seeing the photos you posted here! She was so beautiful and lucky to have such a great support team!

Warmly,
Dr. Colleen

@Momlaw, thank you for the referral! We also have a great resource to guide you through "how will I know it is time", and other helpful gems on the website, as well as a telehealth option if you would like one of our veterinarians to help guide you forward!

@AggiePhil, it is a very important service, but after working long days all week, in-clinic vets do need some time off and to be with their families - but that's why I exist! Through hospice care or euthanasia, we supplement the clinic teams and are available when they aren't!

@Meezermon, I have remained available through COVID! I'm taking as many precautions as I can, and isolating when I'm not working so that I can be as safe as possible for the families I help!

@Jetty, it was so lovely to meet you both, and sweet Max. I know your hearts are heavy, but you were so selfless to give him a peaceful farewell!

Lap of Love - Brazos Valley
979-314-9122
Matsui
BaitShack
AG
Dr. Colleen, the timing on Monday was perfect. When I originally posted that, I wasn't sure how the weekend was going to shape up. Thank again for being there for her and us. It was very peaceful.
BaitShack
AG
Counterpoint said:

BaitShack said:

I think I may know y'all from the College Station dog park a long time ago? If so, I remember what an awesome dog she was back then. So sorry for your loss.

Ella wasn't much of a dog park dog, but we did make a couple of trips to Steeplechase park, and many trips to Brothers Pond Park when she was younger. I'm a regular at the Steeplechase park these days with my knucklehead half bull terrier Jake.
Counterpoint
AG
BaitShack said:

Counterpoint said:

BaitShack said:

Ella wasn't much of a dog park dog, but we did make a couple of trips to Steeplechase park, and many trips to Brothers Pond Park when she was younger. I'm a regular at the Steeplechase park these days with my knucklehead half bull terrier Jake.
It was Steeplechase!
AledoAg86
AG
So very sorry for your loss!
JR Ewingford
Very sorry for your loss.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.