President Young announces retirement

11,554 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
gigem92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Effective May 31, 2021.

https://president.tamu.edu/messages/announcement-from-president-young.html?utm_source=TAMUSocial&utm_campaign=TAMU_Social&utm_content=announcement-from-president-young
BQ_90
AG
why are they rushing it
Eliminatus
AG
Same time I graduate too.
BANA89
AG
Just emailed my resume in, woohoo!
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
91_Aggie
AG
I would get out as well. In a no-win situation with the current cancel culture.
histag10
AG
This takes away all hope of the satisfaction I would have felt from him being canned...
ratfacemcdougal
Bring back the BOWTIE !!!
scottimus
AG
Murano!
FlyRod
Fiscal hits (likely to get worse in next legislative session) and rock bottom morale...I wouldn't want to be president either.
Muzzleblast
I'm sure they have another woke liberal ready to go.
lost my dog
Muzzleblast said:

Doubtful. The obvious internal candidate(s) are not especially liberal.
histag10
AG
Muzzleblast said:

I dont see them making that mistake twice, especially considering the loss in donations recently coupled with Buzbee's recent letter about ceasing his donations. I see them overdoing it the other direction to try to fix this and bring some money back
toolshed
AG
histag10 said:

Muzzleblast said:

I dont see them making that mistake twice, especially considering the loss in donations recently coupled with Buzbee's recent letter about ceasing his donations. I see them overdoing it the other direction to try to fix this and bring some money back
An Aggie can hope!!
redd38
AG
Buzbee 4 president!
texag84
AG
I second Buzbee!

Really - just not another liberal lefty!
lost my dog
texag84 said:

I second Buzbee!

Really - just not another liberal lefty!
Only if he promises not to bring any dates to the J Wayne Stark Galleries...

Joe Schillaci 48
AG
Is it possible to pay him and send him on his way?
FlyRod
https://www.kbtx.com/app/2020/09/02/texas-am-president-michael-k-young-to-retire-in-may/

Nice summary of his many accomplishments at the helm of A&M here.
ToxicAG
FlyRod said:

https://www.kbtx.com/app/2020/09/02/texas-am-president-michael-k-young-to-retire-in-may/

I agree and despite all the negative comments, he is highly thought of by the faculty at A&M. What a lot of people don't realize is that the President of A&M is one of the least powerful and influential leadership positions on campus. There are in essence "three presidents" including the President and Vice-Chancellor's of engineering and agriculture. Until recently, the Dean if the HSC was in this category. A&M is the last university to have this state organization hierarchy, which was norm up until the 60's. If you have any problem with any of his decisions and so called liberal ideas you need to look a little higher up the food chain.
nashvilleaggie11
Now to get rid of Sharp Vader...
cz308
BOR picked this jack wagon, so I'm sure they'll make another fine pick.
lost my dog
nashvilleaggie11 said:

Now to get rid of Sharp Vader...
You must have no idea how good Sharp has been for us in Austin. Every time you read about TU getting railed by legislators, and don't see TAMU in that article, that's been Sharp.

I don't like everything Sharp has done. He acts like super-president of the College Station campus, rather than chancellor of the system sometimes. But compared to McKinney, who elevated Murano and then dumped her when she showed she wasn't going to rubber-stamp his ideas? (And he also wanted the Wildlife and Fisheries faculty to help his buddies with their deer ranches pro bono) Or Jay Kimbrough who pulled a knife on the staff when he was being fired?

Y'all need to know your history...

lost my dog
cz308 said:

BOR picked this jack wagon, so I'm sure they'll make another fine pick.
Tony Buzbee was on the Board of Regents when they picked Michael K. Young. Just sayin'...
Stupe
S
He is highly thought of by some of the faculty. The list is not long.
Stupe
S
Quote:

But compared to McKinney, who elevated Murano and then dumped her when she showed she wasn't going to rubber-stamp his ideas?
Which is funny because that's exactly what she did to people.
histag10
AG
And even fewer staff members are fans...
Cholula Verde
AG
Stupe said:

ToxicAG
Stupe said:

You must be looking at the wrong list. I have been on faculty for 20 years and besides Gates, he is one of the most highly thought of presidents we have had in a long time. From personal experience, the majority of the Distinguished Professors also hold him in high regard. Together with the Provost, they raised expectations and standards for funding and promotion, which has not set well with some faculty that you may be referring too.
cavscout96
AG
ToxicAG said:

FlyRod said:

I agree and despite all the negative comments, he is highly thought of by the faculty at A&M. What a lot of people don't realize is that the President of A&M is one of the least powerful and influential leadership positions on campus. There are in essence "three presidents" including the President and Vice-Chancellor's of engineering and agriculture. Until recently, the Dean if the HSC was in this category. A&M is the last university to have this state organization hierarchy, which was norm up until the 60's. If you have any problem with any of his decisions and so called liberal ideas you need to look a little higher up the food chain.
love all the apologists......

I cannot speak to how the faculty views him, but IMO he has demonstrated practically no leadership to broader community. This at a time when leadership was sorely needed.
isitjustme
AG
I'm extremely happy he's going, and it's long overdue IMO. While our rankings have increased according to what other people and their ratings agencies think (see, I can recognize some perceived positives), he has attempted to remove all which makes A&M a unique institution. We are blending into the generally liberal university crowd, and that's not a good thing. I'm talking about the Aggie experience, 3/4 of which happens outside of the classroom. I and many others have felt this long before Covid and the Sully issue - his handling of those just highlights his inability to connect with what the Aggie experience is all about.
Stupe
S
Quote:

I cannot speak to how the faculty views him, but IMO he has demonstrated practically no leadership to broader community. This at a time when leadership was sorely needed.
Exactly.
He threw the University and entire community under the bus for a lie. When it was exposed, he didn't even have the guts to admit that he was wrong about the ordeal.

That isn't "practically" no leadership, it's a complete lack of leadership.
FlyRod
Quote:

You must be looking at the wrong list. I have been on faculty for 20 years and besides Gates, he is one of the most highly thought of presidents we have had in a long time. From personal experience, the majority of the Distinguished Professors also hold him in high regard. Together with the Provost, they raised expectations and standards for funding and promotion, which has not set well with some faculty that you may be referring too.

People actually employed at TAMU think highly of him. Retired "old Ags" who live to find anything and everything to complain about do not. It's that simple. Retirees want "We've Never Been Licked" back, and that horse left the barn years ago.

As far as handling COVID, he's made mistakes no doubt. But I thank God we don't have an idiot at the helm like many other large public universitiesU Alabama, U Iowa, U Georgiajust to name a few.
Cholula Verde
AG
ToxicAG said:

Stupe said:

LOL, you must be part of the privileged elite DP group! For those who are not familiar with the inner workings, the noted subset (highlighted above) of faculty were the driving force in bringing Young to TAMU. My guess is they and others I care not to mention will go to their graves defending their decision. With that said, it is most amazing that management felt it necessary to publish a list of Young's "accomplishments", many of which were near completion or well on the way to completion prior to his arrival, to justify his existence. I don't recall this being done when previous presidents stepped down! But hey, as the nightly news repeatedly shows us, in today's world it is less and less about truth and more about perception. Let the games begin......
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

People actually employed at TAMU think highly of him. Retired "old Ags" who live to find anything and everything to complain about do not. It's that simple. Retirees want "We've Never Been Licked" back, and that horse left the barn years ago.
I am actually employed at TAMU. I do not think highly of Young.
Omega6464
He should have left years ago. He hates what A&M stands for, like so many of the faculty. He's been trying to change the institution since he arrived - and not for the better.

I am around faculty every day of the week and know no one who is enamored with him. My wife is on the faculty and her department roundly dislikes then man. Young's wife has been AWOL since shortly after her arrival and the old alums (AKA big donors) can't stand the sight of him.

When will we learn...?
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.