President Young announces retirement

11,675 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by duffelpud
Stupe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
The fact that he didn't mention Loftin says a lot.
GSS
Is Young using the $1200 in reward money he didn't give to the Politics forum for the racial hoax, to help in his 'retirement / reassignment"?

NRA Life
TSRA Life
lost my dog
Cholula Verde said:

LOL, you must be part of the privileged elite DP group! For those who are not familiar with the inner workings, the noted subset (highlighted above) of faculty were the driving force in bringing Young to TAMU. My guess is they and others I care not to mention will go to their graves defending their decision.
After the firing of Murano and Loftin no serious candidate was going to apply for the job.

Do you think someone like Bud Peterson (then president of Georgia Tech, more importantly PhD from A&M, former dean at A&M) would apply for a job where the chancellor and board had hand-picked favored internal candidates in the past two searches, meddled in the running of the campus, and then fired those two presidents without cause (in the legal sense)?

We were desperate for a respectable candidate. Young was not popular at the University of Washington, where he was president, but being president there made him a serious candidate. He certainly was able to turn our desperation into a nice 5-year contract at $1 million per year on top of a $800,000 signing bonus and a $200,000 annual housing allowance (you could practically smell the desperation of A&M back then)

You want to blame someone for Young's hiring? I would blame the system administration and state politicians who had made being president of A&M an undesirable job.

(And no, I'm not a DP)
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

You must be looking at the wrong list. I have been on faculty for 20 years and besides Gates, he is one of the most highly thought of presidents we have had in a long time. From personal experience, the majority of the Distinguished Professors also hold him in high regard. Together with the Provost, they raised expectations and standards for funding and promotion, which has not set well with some faculty that you may be referring too.

People actually employed at TAMU think highly of him. Retired "old Ags" who live to find anything and everything to complain about do not. It's that simple. Retirees want "We've Never Been Licked" back, and that horse left the barn years ago.

As far as handling COVID, he's made mistakes no doubt. But I thank God we don't have an idiot at the helm like many other large public universitiesU Alabama, U Iowa, U Georgiajust to name a few.
not the ones I know.
cavscout96
AG
Cholula Verde said:

ToxicAG said:

Stupe said:

He is highly thought of by some of the faculty. The list is not long.
You must be looking at the wrong list. I have been on faculty for 20 years and besides Gates, he is one of the most highly thought of presidents we have had in a long time. From personal experience, the majority of the Distinguished Professors also hold him in high regard. Together with the Provost, they raised expectations and standards for funding and promotion, which has not set well with some faculty that you may be referring too.
LOL, you must be part of the privileged elite DP group! For those who are not familiar with the inner workings, the noted subset (highlighted above) of faculty were the driving force in bringing Young to TAMU. My guess is they and others I care not to mention will go to their graves defending their decision. With that said, it is most amazing that management felt it necessary to publish a list of Young's "accomplishments", many of which were near completion or well on the way to completion prior to his arrival, to justify his existence. I don't recall this being done when previous presidents stepped down! But hey, as the nightly news repeatedly shows us, in today's world it is less and less about truth and more about perception. Let the games begin......
Or in which he played no significant role in the actual "accomplishment."

I'm curious how the folks that actually did the Lion's share of the works he takes credit for feel about it....
Cholula Verde
AG
Then you must be part of the other VOCAL minority.......Faculty Senate!!

Hammerheadjim
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

People actually employed at TAMU think highly of him. Retired "old Ags" who live to find anything and everything to complain about do not. It's that simple. Retirees want "We've Never Been Licked" back, and that horse left the barn years ago.

As far as handling COVID, he's made mistakes no doubt. But I thank God we don't have an idiot at the helm like many other large public universitiesU Alabama, U Iowa, U Georgiajust to name a few.
Not so! I have been through 5 University presidents at least and from a staff standpoint this president has been feckless and downright afraid to stand up for the staff. I have a lot of contacts and to the person none of them care for this guy. None.

Your statements about retired Ag's were pretty disrespectful to say the least.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
Stupe
S
Disrespectful and uninformed considering that the Ags that he made fun are the ones that had the backbone to tell Sharp and the BOR to get rid of Young or say "bye bye" the money train.
FlyRod
Haters gonna hate. I've been through a few TAMU presidents too, and while none can measure up to Gates, Young has done a lot under trying circumstances. People here will grumble and complain no matter who is president. And sure, some staff don't care for Young; every large institution with thousands of employees has a few chronically disgruntled ones.

As for "disrespectful," oh please. People love to come here and pi$$ on faculty and students 24/7, so give me a break.
Stupe
S
Quote:

I've been through a few TAMU presidents too, and while none can measure up to Gates, Young has done a lot under trying circumstances.
Loftin was better than Gates.

What, exactly, has Young done "under trying circumstances" that should be lauded?
FlyRod
Hilarious. Gates left for a higher calling. Loftin was booted for creating a toxic atmosphere across TAMU. Arguably the worst of the lot. Empty bow tie.
Stupe
S
Loftin didn't create anything. He just wasn't a "yes" man when bad ideas were presented. He was forced out because he wasn't scared to give his opinion to people that don't like being told they were wrong.

That and jealousy over the credit he got for the SEC move.

FlyRod
Again, hilarious. I remember his tenure quite differently. To each their own.

And yes, in full disclosure, his depriving me of my burning desire to beat the hell out of TU will earn him a place...shall we say, where it's very hot.
lost my dog
Cholula Verde said:

Then you must be part of the other VOCAL minority.......Faculty Senate!!

Nope. Guess again

I was disappointed by the whole process of Young's hiring. That's not a comment on him, but on what our situation was back then. I can comment on him in a different post
lost my dog
FlyRod said:

Again, hilarious. I remember his tenure quite differently. To each their own.

And yes, in full disclosure, his depriving me of my burning desire to beat the hell out of TU will earn him a place...shall we say, where it's very hot.
I have to agree with FlyRod on Loftin. Nice man. Obviously connected with the students. But beyond that...? Please note how long he lasted at Missou. Missou has its issues, but to get all the deans against you, you really have to annoy people

Still, the way he was fired hurt us

And in my book, Bob Gates and Ray Bowen are still the best - unless you want to go back to Rudder, who had his problems, but who saved this place from being irrelevant in the modern world
Hammerheadjim
AG
lost my dog said:

And in my book, Bob Gates and Ray Bowen are still the best - unless you want to go back to Rudder, who had his problems, but who saved this place from being irrelevant in the modern world
Modern era, without a doubt two of the best.

Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
FlyRod
Since no one brought up this possible contender, I will: Rick Perry.

And we could do much, much worse.
EBrazosAg
AG
I'd think he'd want Sharps job.....
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
isitjustme
AG
Liked Rick as governor except that he paid too much attention to A&M. Don't want him as Prez or Chancellor.

Liked Bob Gates a lot, Bowen not so much.

Loftin was the Prez that Murano could have been. They both knew the rules when they were hired. Murano chose not to follow through and quickly got canned; Loftin made the most out of what he was allowed to do and at least the students and alums loved him, which kept the money coming in.

I'd have been ok if Hussey was made permanent.

Before all this, Mobley and Vandiver were fine, but that was th 80s and the school was very different than it is now. Don't know much before that.
FlyRod
Rick paying too much attention to A&M was a bad thing? Lost me there I'm afraid.
southcsag
Loftin left because he spoke out against the privatization of custodial and landscape services to SSC. The use of SSC has been a failure, so Loftin was correct that it was not a good move for the university.

He was very popular with students.
isitjustme
AG
I'd rather the board of regents be put in place and then let them run the system and the Prez run the university. Rick, who obviously loved his and our university, exerted a lot of pressure on the flagship in particular. I just disagree with that approach. It also resulted in the hiring & firing of Murano and the hiring of Loftin - both knew Rick wanted his way with one playing ball and the other not.
FlyRod
Sorry to sound obtuse, but what kind of pressure? I thought Rick was a huge pro flagship school booster. No?
isitjustme
AG
Like I said, Rick loves A&M, but he simply meddled too much in our operations when it came to who to appoint to which positions and what the university should be doing. That's not the governor's job beyond appointing BOR. I'm going to leave it at that.
FlyRod
Fair enough. "Meddling" could be for good or ill, but I don't know the details here.
nonameag99
After Alvard went after Buzbee on FB

I knew young was gone when I saw Rick was going to be Buzbee's best man

Signed sealed and delivered
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
isitjustme
AG
On a related note b/c it involves a fired A&M President, I just got to my July/August issue of the Texas Aggie alumni magazine and saw that Melanie Zentgraff, '80, passed away in May. She was the person whose hand President Jarvis Miller would not shake during graduation b/c she was suing A&M to let women in the band. He could have apologized and saved his job, but refused to do so. And that was 40 years ago! Not that she was wrong to want to be in the band and sue for the right, but non-PC behavior has been punished at A&M for decades.

BTW, Miller is still living (I think still in Bryan) and was named a distinguished alumnus a few years ago. I guess we can all let bygones be bygones.
Cholula Verde
AG
FlyRod said:

Haters gonna hate. I've been through a few TAMU presidents too, and while none can measure up to Gates, Young has done a lot under trying circumstances. People here will grumble and complain no matter who is president. And sure, some staff don't care for Young; every large institution with thousands of employees has a few chronically disgruntled ones.

As for "disrespectful," oh please. People love to come here and pi$$ on faculty and students 24/7, so give me a break.
LOL, aren't you the one who bragged over in the "Young says Spence Park is a Wasteland" thread about moving with Young to your new office space over in the Bush School?
https://texags.com/forums/35/topics/3061049
FlyRod
I don't have an office in the Bush School. Enjoy your Labor Day drinking, and don't drink and drive.
Cholula Verde
AG
FlyRod said:

I don't have an office in the Bush School. Enjoy your Labor Day drinking, and don't drink and drive.
My mistake! Sure sounded that way in your commentary on the thread noted above. Oh,FYI, haven't felt the need to imbibe alcohol today. But hey, I don't hold it against those that are so inclined! Enjoy the rest of your Labor Day evening.
Cholula Verde
AG
This might require its own thread, but there are a lot of rumors going around about what it cost management to get rid of Young. Given that Loftin walked away with a cool million, what do y'all think the over and under was to send Young back to his first love of teaching? Asking for a friend!
isitjustme
AG
Whatever it costs, it'll be less than we paid Coach Sumlin. But at least we got rid of Sumlin.
toolshed
AG
Wasn't his contract over? If so why are we paying him to leave/ stay in some created crap position which costs us even more money?
GTdad
lost my dog said:

nashvilleaggie11 said:

Now to get rid of Sharp Vader...
You must have no idea how good Sharp has been for us in Austin. Every time you read about TU getting railed by legislators, and don't see TAMU in that article, that's been Sharp.

I don't like everything Sharp has done. He acts like super-president of the College Station campus, rather than chancellor of the system sometimes. But compared to McKinney, who elevated Murano and then dumped her when she showed she wasn't going to rubber-stamp his ideas? (And he also wanted the Wildlife and Fisheries faculty to help his buddies with their deer ranches pro bono) Or Jay Kimbrough who pulled a knife on the staff when he was being fired?

Y'all need to know your history...

NM
Whoop Delecto
AG
Page 2 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.