Aggieland = Bryan/College Station

8,726 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by techno-ag
jello123
How long do you want to ignore this user?
WHOOP! About time! "The Texas A&M University System Board of Regents passed a resolution last week that declares Bryan and College Station to be the joint home of Texas A&M, a designation previously only held by College Station.The resolution states that the system chancellor and the A&M president will use the phrase "Bryan-College Station" in any general location references where College Station would have been used in the past. That includes "references at all sporting events, academic events, press releases, marketing collateral, letterhead, and other representations of Texas A&M University and The Texas A&M University System where a specific postal address is not required"." -From 8/25/20 Eagle.
BQ_90
AG
we got covid testing junk, Chinese spies teaching, vandalism on campus by professor, the president ignoring fake race hate crimes.

And this is the BOR big news.
halibut sinclair
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- Interesting timing for a change either very Relevant or Irrelevant as this.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I think that's actually a pretty bfd for Bryan. Congrats to them.
jeffk
AG
We are all in the streets celebrating up here in 77803.
Tailgate88
AG
With RELLIS being where it is, hard to argue this was not the right move.

That said, agree with the post above. This was the big news of the day?
bushytailed
AG
Same in the -02!
BrandoC
AG
This has got to be a joke. Two different cities, two different school districts, two different tax rates, etc. College Station is the home of TAMU. Main campus is in COLLEGE STATION!
BCStalk
Well ok then.
bcstx06
Resolution officially recognizes both College Station and Bryan as home to Texas A&M
https://theeagle.com/news/local/resolution-officially-recognizes-both-college-station-and-bryan-as-home-to-texas-a-m/article_f9dad242-e751-11ea-bbcd-9fbcf7a0ef3e.amp.html
Post removed:
by user
CS78
Perfectly epitomizes our current local leadership. What a joke!
Robin Sparkles
BrandoC said:

This has got to be a joke. Two different cities, two different school districts, two different tax rates, etc. College Station is the home of TAMU. Main campus is in COLLEGE STATION!
Main campus might be in College Station, but the Health Science Center and RELLIS are located within the Bryan city limits.

Hopefully, by identifying its home as Bryan/College Station, the area will be able to attract more business here. Do you know how many businesses pass up Bryan OR College Station because looking at data only, it appears as if College Station is ONLY a community of 115,000? If the two cities are viewed as one, then instantaneously, the market size is now 200,000+. Maybe it's the push needed for the Trader Joe's or Central Market that everyone here is always wanting.
EliteElectric
The whole thing is good for both cities and the entire area. Mayor Nelson did a great job putting this together. The area will now be viewed as the entire populations of both cities.

The only people who have been throwing shade at this seem to be CS people which is mind boggling to me but whateves.

As far as I am concerned, as a business owner in CS, this is a win/win for all involved.

Great job Mayor Nelson.
bcstx06
EliteElectric said:

The whole thing is good for both cities and the entire area. Mayor Nelson did a great job putting this together. The area will now be viewed as the entire populations of both cities.

The only people who have been throwing shade at this seem to be CS people which is mind boggling to me but whateves.

As far as I am concerned, as a business owner in CS, this is a win/win for all involved.

Great job Mayor Nelson.

I think this will also help business not familiar with the area know that Bryan is here and the area is not just College Station surround by nothing. Now I can see how this could piss some in CS off, but if you thinking about it, it's great for the area when the entire population is counted. This area is connected weather you want to admit it or not. There is an apartment complex in the Northgate area that is within both cities. In what other cities would you find situations like that? There are areas of town that have a College Station address, but are in Bryan city limits and vice versa.

I honestly think Mayor Nelson asked that this happen because of the Experience BCS dismantling that the city of College Station triggered. Now that tourism will be done separately by both cities the mayor probably felt the need to get Bryan more exposure on a national/worldwide level.
EliteElectric
It's also terribly short sighted for those in CS to be mad. Bryan was here first, the majority of the real $$$ is in Bryan, A&M may not even exist had it not been for Bryan and there are many of us who own businesses in both cities or have homes in one and work in another etc. Anything that combines all of the citizens in both cities, the county and the part time residents is a win for all of us no matter which city we live in.

As a west coast kid growing up in Los Angeles, I can say that honestly, I never heard of College Station and would have never heard of it had it not been for the big school.

Slagathor
AG
I think this is a great step to take for the community as a whole. So many A&M students live in Bryan, and so many Blinn Bryan students live in CS, that it makes sense. Not real sure why people would even get mad about this.

I agree with what another poster said - viewing the community as a population of 200,000+ may interest some businesses that otherwise would pass us by.
Hammerheadjim
AG
The City of Bryan was here and supporting TAMU long before College station became an incorporated town. THis is a good thing for Bryan.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
FlyRod
A bazillion students, faculty, and staff live in Bryan, so boo boo hooing over this is (at best) wasted tears, and at worst is something something something CS that would get me perma-banned.

Maybe to balance things out, CS could claim to jointly be the home of First Friday!

Yeah...nah.
joho
jello123 said:

"...will use the phrase "Bryan-College Station" in any general location references where College Station would have been used in the past."
Instead of bumping Bryan up to top billing, it could've been fun if they had done what the the Bryan library system did in their naming and used the phrase "College Station + Bryan".
jello123
joho said:

jello123 said:

"...will use the phrase "Bryan-College Station" in any general location references where College Station would have been used in the past."
Instead of bumping Bryan up to top billing, it could've been fun if they had done what the the Bryan library system did in their naming and used the phrase "College Station + Bryan".
Your idea makes sense although the local library website is bcslibrary.org I don't see anywhere on their website College Station + Bryan. The copyright at bottom of page also says " 2020 BRYAN+COLLEGE STATION PUBLIC LIBRARY SYSTEM." https://www.bcslibrary.org/about/
agnerd
AG
Why stop there? Don't they want to be inclusive? Law School is in Fort Worth, Dentist school is in Dallas, Biosciences Institute is in Houston, and Pharmacy is in Kingsville. I propose we change the name to Texas A&M-Bryan/College Station/Dallas/Fort Worth/Houston/Kingsville. Wouldn't want anyone to get their feelings hurt...
BCStalk
You forgot Galveston and Prairie View
MiMi
S
And Qatar
Rex Racer
AG
EliteElectric said:

It's also terribly short sighted for those in CS to be mad. Bryan was here first, the majority of the real $$$ is in Bryan, A&M may not even exist had it not been for Bryan and there are many of us who own businesses in both cities or have homes in one and work in another etc. Anything that combines all of the citizens in both cities, the county and the part time residents is a win for all of us no matter which city we live in.

As a west coast kid growing up in Los Angeles, I can say that honestly, I never heard of College Station and would have never heard of it had it not been for the big school.

A&M would still exist even without Bryan, but it would have been located in Bellville.
Monywolf
Combine the two cities and get rid of the duplicate overhead. And lower taxes.
AggieYankee1
Monywolf said:

Combine the two cities and get rid of the duplicate overhead. And lower taxes.

There is a strong chance taxes might have to increase because the debts and the debt liability would increase once they assumed each other's debts. Which is close to about $700,000,000 - combined - ignoring the pensions.

You would also get the - who gets what argument... also in ref to your duplicate argument - the staff would pretty much stay the same to be honest - and that would also mean BTU and CSU would have to combine and that means ALOT of laid off city workers.

It sounds good in theory but only until there is enough wealth in the community to take the added taxes would it make sense to combine.

The time to do it was 50 years ago. Now you gotta wait another 50. It's just #'s
bcstx06
People are forgetting that this means College Station can now add the HSC and the RELLIS campus to its list. I'm sure the TAMU Health Science Center is included in now being located in Bryan and College Station, but what about RELLIS? Will it now be said to be in Bryan College Station?
AggieBarstool
If this stops people from referring to College Station as "C-Stat," I'm all for it!
EliteElectric
AggieBarstool said:

If this stops people from referring to College Station as "C-Stat," I'm all for it!

This. All of this.
EBrazosAg
AG
EliteElectric said:

AggieBarstool said:

This. All of this.

Agreed. One should be moved to the ATX forcefully if you use C-Stat.......
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
EliteElectric
EBrazosAg said:

EliteElectric said:

AggieBarstool said:

This. All of this.

Agreed. One should be moved to the ATX forcefully if you use C-Stat.......

Yep. Go snatch them off their stool at "The Gate" and deposit in the ATX directly
halibut sinclair
Rex Racer said:

EliteElectric said:

A&M would still exist even without Bryan, but it would have been located in Bellville.
And would be comparable to Texas State or some other small school today.
Rex Racer
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Rex Racer said:

EliteElectric said:

And would be comparable to Texas State or some other small school today.

Doubtful. Bellville is on the railroad, as well. No reason to think it wouldn't be just what it is today.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.