Aggieland = Bryan/College Station

8,735 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by techno-ag
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rex Racer said:

halibut sinclair said:

Rex Racer said:

EliteElectric said:

It's also terribly short sighted for those in CS to be mad. Bryan was here first, the majority of the real $$$ is in Bryan, A&M may not even exist had it not been for Bryan and there are many of us who own businesses in both cities or have homes in one and work in another etc. Anything that combines all of the citizens in both cities, the county and the part time residents is a win for all of us no matter which city we live in.

As a west coast kid growing up in Los Angeles, I can say that honestly, I never heard of College Station and would have never heard of it had it not been for the big school.

A&M would still exist even without Bryan, but it would have been located in Bellville.
And would be comparable to Texas State or some other small school today.

Doubtful. Bellville is on the railroad, as well. No reason to think it wouldn't be just what it is today.
Glad you have that crystal ball that I don't.
bcstx06
If Texas A&M has gone to Bellville, I bet that there would be a freeway build between 290 and I10. Bellville would Probably almost connect to the Katy area. With a population probably bigger then BCS because it's closer to Houston. Bryan would probably be about the size of Bellville and College Station wouldn't exist.
techno-ag
AG
AggieBarstool said:

If this stops people from referring to College Station as "C-Stat," I'm all for it!
Henceforth, B-CStat.
Captn_Ag05
AG
Any additional info related to Bellville and TAMU? I didn't find anything online but love to hear more.
Rex Racer
AG
Captn_Ag05 said:

Any additional info related to Bellville and TAMU? I didn't find anything online but love to hear more.

It's in a documentary about TAMU. Harvey Mitchell and John Bell played a hand of cards to determine where A&M would be. Mitchell won. John was the son of Thomas Bell, one of two brothers for whom Bellville is named, the other being James Bell.
Rex Racer
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Rex Racer said:

halibut sinclair said:

Rex Racer said:

EliteElectric said:

It's also terribly short sighted for those in CS to be mad. Bryan was here first, the majority of the real $$$ is in Bryan, A&M may not even exist had it not been for Bryan and there are many of us who own businesses in both cities or have homes in one and work in another etc. Anything that combines all of the citizens in both cities, the county and the part time residents is a win for all of us no matter which city we live in.

As a west coast kid growing up in Los Angeles, I can say that honestly, I never heard of College Station and would have never heard of it had it not been for the big school.

A&M would still exist even without Bryan, but it would have been located in Bellville.

Doubtful. Bellville is on the railroad, as well. No reason to think it wouldn't be just what it is today.

You speculated one thing. I speculated another. How is that different?
Rex Racer
AG
Rex Racer
AG
Double post
AG
Robin Sparkles said:

BrandoC said:

This has got to be a joke. Two different cities, two different school districts, two different tax rates, etc. College Station is the home of TAMU. Main campus is in COLLEGE STATION!
Main campus might be in College Station, but the Health Science Center and RELLIS are located within the Bryan city limits.

Hopefully, by identifying its home as Bryan/College Station, the area will be able to attract more business here. Do you know how many businesses pass up Bryan OR College Station because looking at data only, it appears as if College Station is ONLY a community of 115,000? If the two cities are viewed as one, then instantaneously, the market size is now 200,000+. Maybe it's the push needed for the Trader Joe's or Central Market that everyone here is always wanting.
You must not know much about commercial real estate.....businesses are not that stupid, they do their research.
cavscout96
AG
Robin Sparkles said:

BrandoC said:

This has got to be a joke. Two different cities, two different school districts, two different tax rates, etc. College Station is the home of TAMU. Main campus is in COLLEGE STATION!
Main campus might be in College Station, but the Health Science Center and RELLIS are located within the Bryan city limits.

Hopefully, by identifying its home as Bryan/College Station, the area will be able to attract more business here. Do you know how many businesses pass up Bryan OR College Station because looking at data only, it appears as if College Station is ONLY a community of 115,000? If the two cities are viewed as one, then instantaneously, the market size is now 200,000+. Maybe it's the push needed for the Trader Joe's or Central Market that everyone here is always wanting.
i'm perfectly happy without either of those...
halibut sinclair
Rex Racer said:

halibut sinclair said:

Rex Racer said:

halibut sinclair said:

Rex Racer said:

EliteElectric said:

Because your speculation fails to include the fact that 2 communities in Grimes County were also vying for the college. There's no guarantee it would have been in Bellville. A&M was also originally planned as a branch of UT. That didn't work out either. Bryan businessmen donated the land for A&M to the state, and that's why A&M is here. So, thanks again to the city of Bryan. ETA: I speculate the hand of cards thing is bunk.

Before CS was incorporated:

H2SAag
AG
Rex Racer said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

It's in a documentary about TAMU. Harvey Mitchell and John Bell played a hand of cards to determine where A&M would be. Mitchell won. John was the son of Thomas Bell, one of two brothers for whom Bellville is named, the other being James Bell.

Do you know the name of the documentary?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Well, okay then
AG
BCStalk said:

Well ok then.
Bryanisbest
AG
The first chancellor of A&M, Gibb Gilchrist, once told a prominent Bryan businessman in the late 40's that he, Gilchrist, would live to see the day that tumble weeds would blow down the Main Street of Bryan. He resented Bryan because of merchants who he felt took advantage of the A&M professors and the Bryan saloons where Aggies went to drink and get in trouble. That day never came.
bcstx06
Bryanisbest said:

The first chancellor of A&M, Gibb Gilchrist, once told a prominent Bryan businessman in the late 40's that he, Gilchrist, would live to see the day that tumble weeds would blow down the Main Street of Bryan. He resented Bryan because of merchants who he felt took advantage of the A&M professors and the Bryan saloons where Aggies went to drink and get in trouble. That day never came.

Well it kind of did. The 1990s were a really bad time for Bryan. ALL of the development and I do mean ALL of the development that was happening in Brazos County at the time was happening in College Station. In the 1980s Bryan basically rejected growth causing Post Oak Mall to locate in College Station instead and that was the beginning of the decline. Bryan has come a long way since then but that one wrong move cause a chain effect of positive growth in College Station and a negative effect of decline (for a long while) for Bryan.

Bryan still needed to work on attracting more retail (grocery stores included) and restaurants to areas that are currently considered food deserts.
Bryanisbest
AG
Bryan did not reject the growth or the Mall. Jack Lester wanted too much money for where they wanted to put the mall which was the intersection of Briarcrest and Bypass. So it went to second choice in Cs.
H2SAag
AG
Bryanisbest said:

Bryan did not reject the growth or the Mall. Jack Lester wanted too much money for where they wanted to put the mall which was the intersection of Briarcrest and Bypass. So it went to second choice in Cs.

I want to believe you but b/c of your username I can't.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Rex Racer
AG
Houston2AngeloAg said:

Rex Racer said:

Captn_Ag05 said:

Do you know the name of the documentary?

"Aggies - The True Story of Texas A&M"

I have a copy.

https://tamuvideo.com/aggies-the-true-story-of-texas-am/
Rex Racer
AG
halibut sinclair said:

Rex Racer said:

halibut sinclair said:

Rex Racer said:

halibut sinclair said:

Rex Racer said:

EliteElectric said:

Because your speculation fails to include the fact that 2 communities in Grimes County were also vying for the college. There's no guarantee it would have been in Bellville. A&M was also originally planned as a branch of UT. That didn't work out either. Bryan businessmen donated the land for A&M to the state, and that's why A&M is here. So, thanks again to the city of Bryan. ETA: I speculate the hand of cards thing is bunk.

Before CS was incorporated:

Just based it on the documentary, "Aggies - The True Story of Texas A&M".

It may well be bunk. The documentary says John G. Bell is who Bellville is named for, but it wasn't. It was named for Thomas and James Bell, who donated the land for a county seat for Austin County.
Omega6464
Here's what's behind this folks:

College Station just pulled out of the local convention and visitors bureau.

The old bureau (Experience Bryan-College Station) recruited tournaments and large professional conferences and offered grants for guaranteed stays in B/CS hotels. This helped drive local sales tax via purchases, meals and hotel occupancy taxes.Now that CS has gone it's own way you will receive these funds only if you book stays in College Station hotels. Experince B/CS also advertised both cities around the state.

The fact is, someone in Gainesville, FL or Auburn, AL knows to look for a hotel in College Station because that's where A&M is located. What is Auburn's sister city? Anyone ever heard of Opelika? These folks don't know Bryan exists. This is a small attempt at getting "Bryan" out in the news so that these visitors might seek a room in Bryan when CS hotels are full or are less competitive.

Think this isn't the case? Ask your self why the Hilton Garden Inn on University Drive, located in the City of Bryan advertises itself as the Hilton Garden Inn of College Station.
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
Bryanisbest
AG
Houston2AngeloAg said:

Bryanisbest said:

I want to believe you but b/c of your username I can't.

Bryan has never been one to reject growth. Bryan was way late in passing a zoning ordinance that would control and limit growth. Bryan currently has no or very low impact fees on new home construction. Bryan has always had a philosophy of less govt control more freedom to develop. Bryan has always been easier for developers to work with. Don't just take my user name for it, ask some of the old timers around here. No way the city would have rejected that mall out of an attitude of no growth.
halibut sinclair
Omega6464 said:

Here's what's behind this folks:

College Station just pulled out of the local convention and visitors bureau.

The old bureau (Experience Bryan-College Station) recruited tournaments and large professional conferences and offered grants for guaranteed stays in B/CS hotels. This helped drive local sales tax via purchases, meals and hotel occupancy taxes.Now that CS has gone it's own way you will receive these funds only if you book stays in College Station hotels. Experince B/CS also advertised both cities around the state.

The fact is, someone in Gainesville, FL or Auburn, AL knows to look for a hotel in College Station because that's where A&M is located. What is Auburn's sister city? Anyone ever heard of Opelika? These folks don't know Bryan exists. This is a small attempt at getting "Bryan" out in the news so that these visitors might seek a room in Bryan when CS hotels are full or are less competitive.

Think this isn't the case? Ask your self why the Hilton Garden Inn on University Drive, located in the City of Bryan advertises itself as the Hilton Garden Inn of College Station.

Bryan also recently started their own tourism bureau:

https://www.destinationbryan.com/
woodiewood1
BCStalk said:

You forgot Galveston and Prairie View
Prairie View is not part of Texas A&M.
bcstx06
woodiewood1 said:

BCStalk said:

You forgot Galveston and Prairie View
Prairie View is not part of Texas A&M.

Prairie View is a part of the Texas A&M System. Of all The TAMU System schools, TAMU Galveston is the only one besides the main campus that you can earn an Aggie Ring.
bcstx06
It's going to be hard (especially for Bryan) to operate a visitor bureau without some of the amenities of the other city. I think this whole split is not a good move. But great move by Bryan in getting name added to home of TAMU. I think it's always stronger together, but this should get Bryan hustling 10 times as hard to attract new business and residents.
Picadillo
Rename the place. Maximus Aggieland.
Rex Racer
AG
bcstx06 said:

...Of all The TAMU System schools, TAMU Galveston is the only one besides the main campus that you can earn an Aggie Ring.

Not true. Students at the Qatar campus get an Aggie Ring, as well. I assume that HSC students can, as well, since the HSC is now part of TAMU and not a different System part like it used to be.
TSJ
AG
You can also get an Aggie ring at TAMU Law up in Fort Worth as well.
halibut sinclair
I know a dude that went to the 2 year electronics school at the research annex back In the early 80s and got a ring.
PS3D
bcstx06 said:

Bryanisbest said:

Well it kind of did. The 1990s were a really bad time for Bryan. ALL of the development and I do mean ALL of the development that was happening in Brazos County at the time was happening in College Station. In the 1980s Bryan basically rejected growth causing Post Oak Mall to locate in College Station instead and that was the beginning of the decline. Bryan has come a long way since then but that one wrong move cause a chain effect of positive growth in College Station and a negative effect of decline (for a long while) for Bryan.

Bryan still needed to work on attracting more retail (grocery stores included) and restaurants to areas that are currently considered food deserts.
I think it was more than just the decision to move Post Oak Mall down a few exits, there had to be something with leadership and lack of new development. In terms of retail, from 1990 to 2000, Bryan DID receive a Lowe's, a new Wal-Mart Supercenter, and two H-E-B Pantry stores, College Station got an H-E-B Pantry, Randalls, Albertsons, Sam's Club, Target, Circuit City, OfficeMax, Office Depot, Best Buy, Barnes & Noble, Hastings, Old Navy...

techno-ag
AG
halibut sinclair said:

I know a dude that went to the 2 year electronics school at the research annex back In the early 80s and got a ring.

Everybody gets a ring!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.