Anecdotal BCS Covid thread - keep numbers in other thread

4,933 Views | 46 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Belton Ag
scd88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Carny89 asked in the other thread about if we wear masks.

I was going to reply on that thread; but though better of it. Perhaps we can use one to:

1. Talk about experiences with the virus
2. ***** about where it originated
3. Discuss the politics (local/state/national) regarding said virus
4. Experiences with preventing it, or even getting it
5. Anything else not related to the actual numbers
6. MASK DEBATES

My response to the mask question in that thread:

I resisted for a while as I was/am very conscious of potential symptoms. I take my temperature multiple times a day, always looking for loss of smell, taste, etc. Also kept my distance from people. It was less about mask culture (although I had my days...) but more about my belief that I was being responsible.

Now with mask orders, I wear them before going into stores, restaurants, etc. I don't wear it in my vehicle, and I don't wear it in the parking lot. I wear glasses and still fog up.
jeffk
redd38
AG
scd88 said:

I wear glasses and still fog up.

I twist the straps before I put them over my ears (so each strap sorta makes a figure 8), that keeps the corners of the mask closer together and gives your air a path to escape instead of going up to your glasses. I've stopped having foggy glasses since starting this technique.
Belton Ag
AG
I wear a mask only when it's necessary. I don't wear one in my office at work unless I have people in there with me, and I will always abide by the requests of business owners and wear one when I go into any business.

I never wear one when I go anywhere outside & I avoid going any place that requires me to wear one when I'm outside. It's not a political thing for me, I just despise wearing a mask. It's uncomfortable and unnatural to me. I put up with it when I go indoors but that's about it.

I truly don't know how medical professionals put up with it.

Post removed:
by user
Carny89
Good start. Thx.
Belton Ag
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

Belton Ag said:

I wear a mask only when it's necessary. I don't wear one in my office at work unless I have people in there with me, and I will always abide by the requests of business owners and wear one when I go into any business.

I never wear one when I go anywhere outside & I avoid going any place that requires me to wear one when I'm outside. It's not a political thing for me, I just despise wearing a mask. It's uncomfortable and unnatural to me. I put up with it when I go indoors but that's about it.

I truly don't know how medical professionals put up with it.

My wife hates it working in a Dr's office. She handles the business part, and didn't have to wear one pre-Covid. People freak out when she walks in a business in her scrubs as well.
And since this is that kind of thread, I'm going to rant. It's gotten to the point where even seeing a mask pisses me off. I hate talking to people who are wearing them because I can't read facial expressions and I can't hear them. To top it off, half the people wearing them wear them wrong, or are wearing those store bought thin cotton masks that won't do **** to protect them or others. The day when the mandate ends can't get here soon enough.
scd88
AG
Carny89 said:

Good start. Thx.

Thanks.
scd88
AG
I hate masks and can't stand seeing people wear them. I can't get over it; I'm sorry. I've said it before and will say it again - masks in public feel like we live in some polluted 3rd world country. What a shift in how we present ourselves in public. Terrible.

**** you, China.
isitjustme
AG
I've worn a mask only a handful of times where I actually needed the services of the establishment - doctors offices and govt offices, and a long overdue haircut. Other than that, no.

With me it's part political because I do believe the mask, with mixed results on efficacy, is used to keep people afraid, which in turn keeps the economy down. Another part is personal liberty in that I should be allowed to choose whether my face is covered or not. The last part is that the mask is supposed to keep others safe from me. If I had covid and had to go out, I would happily wear one, but I don't so I won't as often as I can. I do think those that have covid should wear one, but that is also up to them. That's why I'm a big believer in distancing, which is a lot better self defense than wearing a mask.
halibut sinclair
Too bad tin foil hats don't keep the covid away. Or maybe they doooooooo?
texasaggie04
AG
agrab86 said:

Another part is personal liberty in that I should be allowed to choose whether my face is covered or not.

I've never really understood this line of thought. Serious inquiry here. As a society, we're all perfectly fine following laws that say we have to wear pants (i.e., something to cover genitals) in public. How is this any different? Anatomically, it's just another body part. Hygienically, the face probably leads to more disease spread.

I suspect the only difference is that this is new versus something that has been accepted for a long time.

scd88
AG
So you'd be good with masks in public forever?
isitjustme
AG
texasaggie04 said:

agrab86 said:

Another part is personal liberty in that I should be allowed to choose whether my face is covered or not.

I've never really understood this line of thought. Serious inquiry here. As a society, we're all perfectly fine following laws that say we have to wear pants (i.e., something to cover genitals) in public. How is this any different? Anatomically, it's just another body part. Hygienically, the face probably leads to more disease spread.

I suspect the only difference is that this is new versus something that has been accepted for a long time.

I'll go ahead and play though I'll likely regret it. For most people, including me, our faces are our identities and our expressions are an important aspect of how we communicate with each other, that is, part of our speech. (note that signers don't wear masks while communicating with the deaf) Even if freedom of speech/expression was not guaranteed by the Constitution, I'd have a hard time covering my face.

BTW, we don't have to wear pants in public, we just can't show our sexual organs as you pointed out. To eat somewhere, you generally have to wear shoes and shirts, and societal (though not laws) norms often determine what we wear in most places. It would truly be a shame if wearing a mask became the norm, and people who showed their face would be ostracized.
scd88
AG
Well said.
texasaggie04
AG
agrab86 said:

texasaggie04 said:

agrab86 said:

I'll go ahead and play though I'll likely regret it. For most people, including me, our faces are our identities and our expressions are an important aspect of how we communicate with each other, that is, part of our speech. (note that signers don't wear masks while communicating with the deaf) Even if freedom of speech/expression was not guaranteed by the Constitution, I'd have a hard time covering my face.

BTW, we don't have to wear pants in public, we just can't show our sexual organs as you pointed out. To eat somewhere, you generally have to wear shoes and shirts, and societal (though not laws) norms often determine what we wear in most places. It would truly be a shame if wearing a mask became the norm, and people who showed their face would be ostracized.

I wholeheartedly agree that I hope this does not become the norm. However I do hope that this experience makes it acceptable in our society to wear a mask when one is sick. If an individual has a cold, it would certainly be polite to others for them to wear a mask in public not to spread germs. This is a societal norm in some Asian cultures, I find it to be quite polite.

While the comparison to covering genital organs might seem crude, that certainly is something enforced by law (any one of us would receive an indecent exposure citation, or worse, if we just wandered around a grocery store without proper attire).

I actually genuinely agree to an extent with others that I am not a fan of the government telling me what I can or cannot do. As a society though, I tend to see things fade with time. I remember how upset people were back in 2001-2002 when airport security changed. Now it bothers us but we all remove our shoes because that's become the norm (or we pay money for a background check so we don't have to).

I would not be pleased with masks forever, as was asked by another poster. I just find it all quite interesting. An academic thought, if you will.
Belton Ag
AG
I just doubt I can ever get used to a mask. I mean, I guess I'd get used to having a railroad spike sticking out of my skull if I had to. But I've gone 46 years without masks, and the past few months of being exposed to trying to conduct business, carry on conversations, and work with one on makes my quality of life suffer to the point where I resent them.

If I get sick - where I'm contagious and can negatively affect others - I stay home, as should everyone. To me that's even more polite than wearing a mask.

techno-ag
AG
agrab86 said:

texasaggie04 said:

agrab86 said:

It reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode "Eye of the Beholder."

FlyRod
Self-portrait, Techo?
texasaggie04
AG
Belton Ag said:

If I get sick - where I'm contagious and can negatively affect others - I stay home, as should everyone. To me that's even more polite than wearing a mask.

Same here. But I'm a salaried employee with good health insurance and no kids at home or family to care for. So I'm able to do that. I can't speak for others.
91_Aggie
AG
scd88 said:

I I'm sorry. I've said it before and will say it again - masks in public feel like we live in some polluted 3rd world country. What a shift in how we present ourselves in public. Terrible.

The USA leading the world in not being able to contain the virus makes me feel like we live in a 3rd world country because we cannot come together to do some simple things to contain it.

I've said it before.... if the USA had to sacrifice and work together today like we did for WWII, it would not happen. Too many people whining and crying about some very small "infringements" on their personal comfort.
FlyRod
I've had no problem wearing masks. I've braved the Petri dish that is the gym (since they reopened) wearing them, and have not had any issues with either weights or cardio. I've experienced apocalyptically more unpleasant things then masks in my life (and various assignments around the world). Masks are not even a minor inconvenience for me, let alone something to get worked up about. I understand it's a new thing for many and disconcerting...that's fair.

Were anyone to get aggressively angry with me for wearing one in public, all I can say is COVID would be the least of their concerns, and it wouldn't even be close.
scd88
AG
91_Aggie said:

scd88 said:

I I'm sorry. I've said it before and will say it again - masks in public feel like we live in some polluted 3rd world country. What a shift in how we present ourselves in public. Terrible.

The USA leading the world in not being able to contain the virus makes me feel like we live in a 3rd world country because we cannot come together to do some simple things to contain it.

I've said it before.... if the USA had to sacrifice and work together today like we did for WWII, it would not happen. Too many people whining and crying about some very small "infringements" on their personal comfort.

I respectfully disagree. Not going to argue as it will just clutter the thread.

But here is some information that might offer a counterpoint to your belief.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/facts-not-fear-what-doctors-are-learning-on-front-lines/id1498149200?i=1000487357329

Information about the doctor Crenshaw is talking with.

https://www.texasheart.org/people/reynolds-delgado-iii/
Oogway
Speaking of cluttering the thread, it would be nice if the state/national politics (Item #3) on your list could be limited to Forum 16 rather than migrating over here. There is little substantive policy discussion on that Forum anymore, so perhaps some could break out over there instead of the same five threads over the same five topics.

Our family wears masks. It isn't great fun, but we're in this together and we're going to do our part to slow the spread. Happy to see for whatever the reasons that the hospital numbers are lower in our area.

TxSquarebody
Anecdotal mask story. Went to dine at a local restaurant Saturday. The wife and I had our stupid mask. Our daughter forgot hers in her car. Not a big deal as we are normally seated immediately. Not tonight. We had to wait a few minutes and she pulled her thick sweatshirt up over her nose. There are several men there with the thin gaiters, pulled up over their nose, Hostess comes to tell my daughter she needs a mask. I pointed out the gaiters and how none of this was effective. Without arguement, a manager came over to offer a mask. Good on them for doing so, but this whole situation is asinine.
Jinx
scd88 said:

So you'd be good with masks in public forever?
If I'm sick, I wouldn't mind donning a mask out of consideration for others. I am hoping people will wear masks when they have a cold or getting over the flu etc now that's it a bit more normalized. I'm constantly amazed at how upset grown adults are over this, on the internet at least.

Stay mad, if that's what it takes to get us back to normalcy.

My anecdotal story, to try and keep this back on track, is that only a small handful of people seem ridiculous enough to throw fits in public over it (thankfully). Most individuals, our current Head of State included, have seemed to come to accept that this is a real thing and action needs to be taken to get us back on track. So while there are a few people on the internet crying about it, (that's what the internet is for, right?) seems most members of society have come to accept we are doing what it takes to get us back to normal or as close to it as is possible to get.

I did have one person tell me it was intentionally released as a political tactic, they seemed to genuinely believe this. So there's that, too.
KidDoc
AG
I wear a surgical mask at work as mandated by Texas Medical Board and CHI. I wear a mask in stores and going to table in restaurant. Surgical masks are far from perfect to prevent viral spread but better than cloth. I figure if I have to wear something I may as well use something that may help.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
scd88
AG
I'm in favor of people wearing them if they are sick. No doubt.

If one doesn't think this was politicized from Day 1, starting with the media, I don't know what to say. My issue with masks in public are pretty clear. I hate them (but get your point if you're sick) and hope we can go back to seeing faces in public sooner rather than later.
91_Aggie
AG
scd88 said:

If one doesn't think this was politicized from Day 1, starting with the media, I don't know what to say. My issue with masks in public are pretty clear. I hate them (but get your point if you're sick) and hope we can go back to seeing faces in public sooner rather than later.

The problem is people knowing they are sick.
Asymptomatic, not showing symptoms while contagious.

Here is one scenario:
You can get tested and get your results back maybe 1-2 days later and say Negative, but you caught the virus in that waiting period, but you got that negative result. So you go party until you start showing symptoms and infect people.

Just pull up your big boy pants and wear the mask for now.

Jinx
scd88 said:

Absolutely politicized. The idea that it was intentionally released as a devious political plot, however, slightly less convincing (to me at least). It was an interesting conversation, though. At least they were wearing a mask and not yelling so I'll take it!
scd88
AG
We were actually referring to anyone being sick, even down the road when this all passes and masks are not a thing anymore in public.

For now, I have pulled up my big boy pants and am wearing a mask. Thanks for the scolding if that was intended for me....
I've been fighting cancer for 15 years, so I have worn a mask for the better part of 15 years when I leave the house. People always assumed that I was sick and contagious when they saw the mask but if I left the house, I was well and wanted to stay that way.

For me, the mask gave me the freedom to go out in society in relative safety while immunocompromised so I never hated it. On the contrary, it gave me freedom to leave the bubble that is my home. Sure, small children would point or make comments but that was ok as it was unusual at the time. Today, I don't go out much but I sure as heck wear my mask when I do. And no one gives me a second thought these days when they see my mask, which is funny.

So yea, even when covid19 is under control, I'll still be wearing a mask. There will likely be some adult idiot who makes a comment about my mask (kids prob won't say a thing anymore) but I won't care. I have worked long and hard to stay on the planet and I intend to do it for a good bit longer.
scd88
AG
1.618 said:

I've been fighting cancer for 15 years, so I have worn a mask for the better part of 15 years when I leave the house. People always assumed that I was sick and contagious when they saw the mask but if I left the house, I was well and wanted to stay that way.

For me, the mask gave me the freedom to go out in society in relative safety while immunocompromised so I never hated it. On the contrary, it gave me freedom to leave the bubble that is my home. Sure, small children would point or make comments but that was ok as it was unusual at the time. Today, I don't go out much but I sure as heck wear my mask when I do. And no one gives me a second thought these days when they see my mask, which is funny.

So yea, even when covid19 is under control, I'll still be wearing a mask. There will likely be some adult idiot who makes a comment about my mask (kids prob won't say a thing anymore) but I won't care. I have worked long and hard to stay on the planet and I intend to do it for a good bit longer.

I appreciate your perspective - stay well and thanks for sharing.
isitjustme
AG
Most of us who do not like wearing masks, and particularly mask mandates, do not really care if others wear masks. I know I don't. I've upheld this in part as a personal liberty to wear or not to wear. If others want to wear a mask, good on them. Just don't try and require me to wear one.

And who cares if someone looks at someone else oddly if they wear a mask. People look at each other oddly for all kinds of reasons, even for not wearing a mask. Just add this to that list.
KidDoc
AG
Decent study comparing different mask efficacy:

https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083?fbclid=IwAR0ZGvHE1YcR5du1XUqMJEDOuKD3khzctngeI205DGkQ4296NN_K0rFo_fk
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.