OSR repave

3,946 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by histag10
Tex Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As you all know they're redoing the surface from 21 through Normangee. Big Creek Construction is the contractor. After they have re-done the underlying surface, got it prepped packed and made a good road base, all they have done now is put hot oil down and gravel over the top and packed it in.
Surely this is not going to be the final road top for the stretch? There are places that is already wearing out and is thin, getting potholes.
Seems to me they need to come back over the top of that it overlaying true asphalt/hot mix. The only stretch I have found were there is that done is we're knife River came in and did the intersection underneath Highway 6

If this is the kind of job that it appears to be at the moment, this road will be right back to where it was in a year
BCStalk
Is it already permanently striped and marked?
Gunner0740
So far, I have been unimpressed. I drive OSR every day. Numerous spots in the road are already deteriorating and multiple pot holes have started forming within days after they finished working in that area. I feel like some of this could be avoided if they had worked starting from a mid way point out, rather than randomly working on stretches of road. This would have prevented them from having to drive heavy work trucks over the new portions they just completed.
halibut sinclair
That's the chip seal crap they are fond of using now. Take a look at Briarcrest and Villa Maria.
FamousAgg
Lowest bidder and subpar work
Post removed:
by user
histag10
AG
I live a mile off of OSR, and it is truly frustrating to realize we will likely be doing this whole song and dance again in 5 years because of the shoddy work.
Ag97
AG
It won't take 5 years. 1 to 2 and it will have to be redone again. Big Creek is horrible. They redid FM1179 where I live as part of the Obama stimulus package after he took office. Within a year it was in such bad shape the county had to hire another contractor to come in and fix the mess that Big Creek created.

This is what I hate about so many government contracts. The lowest bidder shouldn't be the only consideration. What is worse is obviously the county hasn't learned anything and keeps hiring these yahoo's to continue to waste our tax dollars.
redd38
AG
They're using that crap all over town, it sucks. The worst is when they put it down over a road that didn't even need fixing
BCSWguru
Is OSR open again between Macey Road and Normangee?
armymom
Is OSR open from Normangee to I-45?
Tex Aggie
AG
Yes it is
toolshed
AG
It's not the permanent surface, is a sealer until they pave with the hot mix asphalt. You can see where they've done the hot mix asphalt on the driveways and such on the sides of the road.

I've been working past the Wheelock store and yes, the method to the madness is mind boggling. Not sure why they stabilize and finish grade a section and move on to another without sealing the first, creating more work for themselves in the future.

I could be wrong, but I can't imagine the oil and rock being the final surface.
TommyBrady
AG
akaggie05
AG
No amount of repaving will make OSR a good road. It will continue to be a deathtrap until the narrow bridges are replaced.
etmydst
AG
How many people have died at the bridges?

Are they replacing the bridges as part of the project?
techno-ag
AG
Ag97 said:

It won't take 5 years. 1 to 2 and it will have to be redone again. Big Creek is horrible. They redid FM1179 where I live as part of the Obama stimulus package after he took office. Within a year it was in such bad shape the county had to hire another contractor to come in and fix the mess that Big Creek created.

This is what I hate about so many government contracts. The lowest bidder shouldn't be the only consideration. What is worse is obviously the county hasn't learned anything and keeps hiring these yahoo's to continue to waste our tax dollars.
I still remember when they redid it the last time ... in 1986-87. Yup for almost 35 years our local state transportation office has let that road completely deteriorate.

It got so bad with so many dips and potholes they had to lower the speed limit because drivers literally bounced off the road.

I think when the MPO was formed and they started thinking long term and did a study on roads around BCS they were surprised to discover some people drive into the area via I-45 and OSR. That has perhaps help spur investment in fixing it up.
TommyBrady
AG
I work at an engineering firm that does projects all over the state. The TXDOT office and the MPO here are easily top three most incompetent I've ever worked with. Other MPO's and municipalities run circles around them
toolshed
AG
akaggie05 said:

No amount of repaving will make OSR a good road. It will continue to be a deathtrap until the narrow bridges are replaced.

Bridges are being replaced, wider box culverts are being set. Have you been out that way since they started work? That's been part of the delay in my mind, the length of time it's taking to set the new box culverts and get them finished out to a point to lay the base over them and get them paved.

Part of the issue out there is the heavier clay soils. The movement of the soil, combined with the heavy oilfield and other traffic has just wreaked havoc on the road.

They've removed quite a bit of the old base material and add new, with lime and maybe a hot oil stabilization. I've tried to pay attention as I pass the stabilization areas, they got a couple different trucks attached to the machine that introduces the stabilization materials to the soil.

Hopefully these extra steps with help it last a while.

By the way, whoever approved, and is doing the "paving" method on 2038 between Kurten and 974 (I think it's Big Creek as well) needs to just stop and let someone else do it. They're just dumping hot mix on the road with a dump truck or belly dump and spreading with a grader, then rolling it. It's the most uneven, jacked up repave I've seen in a while. Certainly not an improvement.
akaggie05
AG
Haven't been that way in a while. Glad to hear the bridges are getting replaced. It'll be back on my list of viable routes from DFW again.
Gunner0740
Just drove it and counted 3 potholes that have already formed on the finished part, between Dunns Fort and the Circle X pecan signs. They're deep enough you can see the beige road base. Glad to know that after all the inconvenience, it'll be the exact same road it was a year ago.
histag10
AG
Only 3? there are a LOT more than 3 in the fully finished areas.

Its ridiculous.

And the way they sloped to Dick Elliot is insanely steep (it wasnt before)

and it wont be the same road it was before. It will be way worse.
jeep
AG
Is OSR open between FM2223 and FM1940? Drivable?
techno-ag
AG
This weekend the pavement was out at that Exxon near Wheelock. Turrible at that point.
robcovol
I've been driving this road since the early 1970s. God himself couldn't fix it.
histag10
AG
jeep said:

Is OSR open between FM2223 and FM1940? Drivable?

Its open. Its paved from 2223 to just past Dick Elliot, and then the pavement goes in and out with crushed gravel.

If you are driving it between 8am and 5pm, allow yourself a lot of extra time, as their one lane areas are really dumb and super long wait times.

Wheelock Express is the closest convenience store to my house, and i refuse to drive the 5 miles until after 5 these days. Or I take the long drive down Wheelock Hall Road, and still make better time than Dick Elliott to OSR to 46.
jeep
AG
We have a place at Camp Creek and have been going out 974. Nice drive through Tabor and Edge, but OSR more direct. Oh well, stay the course!
histag10
AG
We generally drive 974 or, I turn off on 2776 and get on 21 (a few extra miles, but quicker than 974 through Tabor to 6)

If I drive my kid to school, ive been taking OSR since its paved from Dick Elliot to 6 now
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.