Veritas closing

5,294 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
jeep
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Another victim. Sad......
DPlainview
AG
Very disappointing. Been a big part of B/CS for the last 14 years. Added another fine dining option in town when there were very few.

Hopefully Tai will continue to do well in his other endeavors. I can only imagine the rent over there got to be too much.
Goose83
AG
DPlainview said:

Very disappointing. Been a big part of B/CS for the last 14 years. Added another fine dining option in town when there were very few.

Hopefully Tai will continue to do well in his other endeavors. I can only imagine the rent over there got to be too much.
Not so sure, not with all the recent closures in that center (Pei-Wei, Abuelos, and now Veritas).

Bad time to vested in restaurant-only properties.
W
AG
rent always has been --- always will be --- the killer expense for restaurants.

the nature of the beast requires significant square footage...and it doesn't come cheap
Bucketrunner
Will miss their sea bass
Builder93
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Goose61 said:

DPlainview said:

Not so sure, not with all the recent closures in that center (Pei-Wei, Abuelos, and now Veritas).

Bad time to vested in restaurant-only properties.
That complex has gotten hit hard . Even before COVID it was seeing some things leave.

I like Veritas even though I've only eaten there a few times. I really really hope he can keep Paolos going. They are underrated. But that too, I'm guessing has massive overhead for that space.
AggiePhil
AG
Sorry to hear about this. Tai and Madden should bring back their food trucks. Perfect for come and go, low overhead, and physical distancing!
It was probably the best decision for a higher end restaurant and current conditions, but it is still sad for our community.

Generally speaking, I would hope that landlords would really work with restaurant/bar community right now as an empty space generates zero in revenue. It is not like it will be easy to find another restaurant to fill the space. I have no idea what the specifics are with Veritas' closing. I'm just watching several places in that area closing down.
threecatcorner
I thought that at least one of the cities (maybe both) required food trucks to be affiliated with a restaurant that's not a truck. Is that right, or am I remembering incorrectly? I do see some food trucks that I don't know if they have a storefront somewhere or not.
First Down and Twelve
I wish all of our politicians had to have extensive time working in the for profit world before inflicting their tone deaf decisions that impact businesses and livelihoods on their cities/counties/states.

RIP Veritas.
Good wine.
Good food.
Destroyed by bad politicians.
One Louder
AG
threecatcorner said:

I thought that at least one of the cities (maybe both) required food trucks to be affiliated with a restaurant that's not a truck. Is that right, or am I remembering incorrectly? I do see some food trucks that I don't know if they have a storefront somewhere or not.
No, you don't have to have a restaurant location connected to your food truck. Food trucks are required to be connected to a commissary but not a full-fledged restaurant.
AggiePhil
AG
Yeah, they can't cook everything out of the truck so need a B&M kitchen to use for that. If Madden's brought back its truck (I realize Madden's is owned by Tai now), that would be awesome. Their fish and chips was amazing.
TxSquarebody
My understanding is that CS requires that connection. Something about the city not wanting stand alone food trucks competing with B&M restaurants. I'm guessing tax revenue? Bryan is more friendly towards mobile kitchens.
AggiePhil
AG
If true, now is the time to change that!
Max06
AG
It's on the menu at Madden's
Bucketrunner
Thanks! Maddens has always been my favorite restaurant in the area, even before we moved here.
Spiderpig
Most importantly, though, who has the recipe for the Spanish Almond Basque Cake?
Gigem314
AG
Spiderpig said:

Most importantly, though, who has the recipe for the Spanish Almond Basque Cake?
Really hoping that gets added to the menu at Urban Table or Madden's.
KidDoc
AG
TxSquarebody said:

My understanding is that CS requires that connection. Something about the city not wanting stand alone food trucks competing with B&M restaurants. I'm guessing tax revenue? Bryan is more friendly towards mobile kitchens.
College Station is a bit of pain with food truck permitting but you do not have to have a stand alone restaurant to have a food truck in CS. My wife went through this process not long ago with starting a coffee truck.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I went to his new restaurant the other day called Solt that is in the same location and thought it was really good with a nice bar and great decor.

I got the shrimp bisque soup, a caesar salad, and this pasta dish that had chicken and shrimp and sausage. It was all delicious.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.