Moving Daughter into apartment. How to keep my storage trailer from being stolen?

3,494 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by histag10
BeatTheHell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm moving my daughter into her apartment next week and bringing my trailer full of her furniture. I'm staying at a hotel one night and am concerned about my trailer getting stolen. I can try to find a spot to park my truck with the trailer up against a wall or something similar, but was curious if there is a storage place I could park it at that has security for one night? It's not a big trailer (only about 10 feet long total.)
jeffk
AG
I would just keep it hitched to my vehicle and park it back up against something where it can't be moved at the hotel lot.
BANA89
AG
You can get a hitch lock that prevents it from being removed from the vehicle. Alternatively put radiation or toxic chemicals signs on it.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
UmustBKidding
you can park it at my place and we promise to deal with people attempting to access it with high velocity lead.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
If it has a bulldog (or ram) coupler, you can use one like this. I am 30 minutes east of CS and am happy to loan you mine if you want it.

https://www.amazon.com/Collar-Trailer-Bulldog-style-Couplers-Including/dp/B00HL2NM0K

nonameag99
Trailer Hitch lock

Vehicle hitch lock

Non removable ball - someone could unscrew and put it on another receiver - this is the least on my worries but another avenue of theft

Padlocks on safety chains to vehicle

Chain and padlocks through the wheels
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
Aggie@state.gov
AG
I think our resident B/CS roving bands of trailers thieves are looking for targets of opportunity.

If they see a lock they generally move on to plenty of trailers that are unlocked and/or not hitched to vehiches.

or go buy a Tile and hide it in your wheel well. that way you can track if it goes bye bye.

but it won't outta a hotel parking lot for one nite that ain't in N Bryan.
Rexter
All good suggestions above. Padlock the chains to the eyelet on the hitch.
BQ_90
AG
Rexter said:

All good suggestions above. Padlock the chains to the eyelet on the hitch.
this.

Also make sure you park near the closest security camera or in front of the hotel
halibut sinclair
Parking boot
JeepWaveEarl
AG
You are welcome to park it a my house overnight and then come to hook up the next day to move her -- I live about 30 min from BCS... just message back here if interested with your email and I will touch base.

Kidwrangler
Quality Used Furniture, a small family business where many Aggies have gone to outfit their apartments, had its enclosed trailer stolen last weekend with furniture inside. It was in their parking lot & visible from the steadily busy highway (located in College Station on 2818 about 2 blocks down from Texas Ave. South). You are right to be concerned & to take precautions!
histag10
AG
We are 10 miles north of Bryan. You can park it here overnight. We have a locked gate, and live down a dirt road. Not much theft out here. Our property is also guarded by 2 fur missiles and an undisclosed amount of fire power.

Histag2010@gmail.com
jeffk
AG
I live in North Bryan and you're welcome to park in on the street in front of my house overnight. Email is in my profile.
Spoony Love
AG
If you happen to travel through Normangee to move her, I can store it at my place easily. I'll even come pick it up from you and you can grab it on your way out. Bumper pull only.
Builder93
AG
Are you talking about a flatbed or cargo trailer?
BeatTheHell
AG
Lots of good info. It's not enclosed. It's an open air with 4 sides. Might take one of you up on the offer to leave at your place. Just need to drop off Friday after we unload her stuff and pick up Saturday on the way out. I was planning to chain the heck out of it and make it not worth the effort for someone if at the hotel.
UmustBKidding
Welcome here about 9 mi south of kyle.
doubledog
Contact gated storage units or moving companies in the area, they sometime will store trailers overnight in their secured area (for a fee of course).
legalbird
Park at one of the peoples houses on this board. Safest and easiest.

if you park at a motel and stuff is inside, and locked, the lock can be cut in 20 seconds.
Builder93
AG
Did you find a solution?
histag10
AG
OP - did you figure something out, or do you still need a place to leave your trailer?
dubi
AG
Where is her apartment? I'm a few blocks south of campus.

You are welcome to back in my drive and park backed up to the garage door assuming your uhaul isn't too tall.
BeatTheHell
AG
Hi! I just sent an email to HistAg seeing about storing at his place. Sounds like it wouldn't be in the way there, would be in a fenced in area (and will only cost me some liquor hopefully!) We'll be having to run some errands around town so would be nice to not have the trailer on it the rest of Friday and on the first half of Saturday. Have had too many people I know have their trailers stolen. Appreciate everyone's responses. Hopefully it'll help others in the same boat.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Another successful texags hookup.
one MEEN Ag
AG
As a side note, if y'all are going to roll through town in expensive trailers with expensive stuff in it, buy a true GPS tracker and throw it in the trailer.

Would recommend firepower when getting your trailer back. CSPD won't respond quickly to a stolen property call. But if you call them and say you've found your trailer, you're going to recover your property, and for them to send an ambulance- they'll show up right on time!
dubi
AG
BeatTheHell said:

Hi! I just sent an email to HistAg seeing about storing at her place. Sounds like it wouldn't be in the way there, would be in a fenced in area (and will only cost me some liquor hopefully!) We'll be having to run some errands around town so would be nice to not have the trailer on it the rest of Friday and on the first half of Saturday. Have had too many people I know have their trailers stolen. Appreciate everyone's responses. Hopefully it'll help others in the same boat.
FIFY
histag10
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

As a side note, if y'all are going to roll through town in expensive trailers with expensive stuff in it, buy a true GPS tracker and throw it in the trailer.

Would recommend firepower when getting your trailer back. CSPD won't respond quickly to a stolen property call. But if you call them and say you've found your trailer, you're going to recover your property, and for them to send an ambulance- they'll show up right on time!

CSPD wont respond out here. Brazos Co. Sheriff or DPS (or constables)
BeatTheHell
AG
one MEEN Ag said:

Another successful texags hookup.
Gigiddy!
histag10
AG
BeatTheHell said:

Hi! I just sent an email to HistAg seeing about storing at his place. Sounds like it wouldn't be in the way there, would be in a fenced in area (and will only cost me some liquor hopefully!) We'll be having to run some errands around town so would be nice to not have the trailer on it the rest of Friday and on the first half of Saturday. Have had too many people I know have their trailers stolen. Appreciate everyone's responses. Hopefully it'll help others in the same boat.

Sounds good! I emailed you back with my phone number and address!
BeatTheHell
AG
histag10 said:

BeatTheHell said:

Sounds good! I emailed you back with my phone number and address!
Appreciate it!
Tim Weaver
BANA89 said:

You can get a hitch lock that prevents it from being removed from the vehicle. Alternatively put radiation or toxic chemicals signs on it.
That's a dead giveaway that something expensive is inside. If you don't want your trailer stolen put a worn out sign on the side that says "septic cleaning service".

Every year bands that have their fancy logo on vinyl wrapped on their trailers get broken into. There is no way to truly secure a trailer. A zip disc will slice through the skin in about 1.3 seconds. The trick is to lock it as good as you can, and park it where lots of eyes may be on it, and don't leave it in one place for too long.
scd88
AG
histag10 said:

We are 10 miles north of Bryan. You can park it here overnight. We have a locked gate, and live down a dirt road. Not much theft out here. Our property is also guarded by 2 fur missiles and an undisclosed amount of fire power.

Histag2010@gmail.com

The "fur missiles" reference is fantastic. Lol.
histag10
AG
scd88 said:

histag10 said:

Histag2010@gmail.com

The "fur missiles" reference is fantastic. Lol.

They truly are fur missiles. I have an english lab pup (9 months old), and a 6 month old Shepsky (1/2 german shepherd 1/2 husky) pup that can already jump our back yard fence (we are putting up hot wire as we speak). They are super protective of their land, humans, and animals. Both dogs are currently around 50-60 lbs, and both will be over 100 at maturity.

2 pups that big is a huge undertaking, but we had both of our longtime dogs pass away within a few months of each other earlier this year (english lab and great dane). We had the new lab puppy when our great dane passed, and got our shepsky not long after, as he needed a home.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.