Annual "They are Coming" Thread - C19 edition

12,035 Views | 77 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by jeffk
bushytailed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The students are coming. This is not a drill.

You've probably already seen the increase in traffic. Campus housing opens this Saturday, FOW for the Corps begins on the 11th, and A&M classes begin on the 19th.

Final trips to HEB, Target, Walmart, and Specs are in order. It's time to replenish your food and alcohol stockpiles and remind yourself of the curbside options around town. Do you have enough to last you through Labor Day?

Enjoy those last leisurely drives down Texas Avenue and University Drive. You won't get that luxury again until the winter break in December.

-----

I've been posting something similar to this every August, but there is typically more humor involved. We're about to see a lot of students either returning to campus or moving here for the first time. It's been fairly quiet since Spring Break; however, that's about to change soon.

I know a lot of people are anxious about what this fall semester has in store for our community in light of C19 (returning to school/work, potential increase in C19 cases, an uncertain A&M football season, economic impact, etc.). Hopefully things will be smoother than expected. In the meantime, be patient and kind towards each other.
Tumble Weed
Then I heard one of the four living creatures say in a voice like thunder, "Come!"

I looked, and there before me was a white mattress! Its rider held a cell phone, and he was given a 12th man towel, and he rode out as a conqueror bent on conquest.
Rex Racer
AG
Winter Break will come early this year for us locals. Thanksgiving.
scd88
AG
I'm glad they're coming back.
studioone

Dunno...I think they're all gonna stay home with mom and dad and do everything online. Would save them rent and foods free at moms fridge...

redd38
AG
The polls I've seen show the vast majority of students returning to BCS
scd88
AG
redd38 said:

I would guess that 80% want to be here.
jac4
AG
scd88 said:

redd38 said:

Do those 80% know the bars are closed?
studioone

and polls showed that Hilarity would win..... so...

I'll believe it when I see it..
Post removed:
by user
saltydog13
AG
Live at home with parents or get to party all the time. Tough choice
theNetSmith
AG
bushytailed said:

In the meantime, be patient and kind towards each other.

It's like you don't know us at all!
montegobay
My husband has averaged around 7 or 8 students a day saying they are staying home and doing online. I would bet we get 50%.
Graceful
double b
AG
About time! We need their money to help our economy move along. Too many business are struggling and need the cash infusion to get them through.
FlyRod
Students have cash? This is funny.
rodan85
AG
There was a Facebook live last night from TAMU and they said 73% coming back.
double b
AG
FlyRod said:

Students have cash? This is funny.

Well they either have money from their parents or receive a big refund check from financial aid. So yes, the students do have money to infuse into the community.
tb9665
They are coming and some are here now. I have been to a few places and noticed that there are a few that do not care about the state mandatory mask policy. Good Luck in a few weeks.
isitjustme
AG
jac4 said:

scd88 said:

redd38 said:

They probably do, cuz they're closed at their home as well. But kids are innovative - they will find numerous other ways to party, and spend less money in the process.
KidDoc
AG
From my personal experience they have mommy & daddy's credit cards while @ A&M- at least mine have had them!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Post removed:
by user
tb9665
I am not sure how UT will enforce it but they say students are not allowed to have parties and if they are reckless it could go all the way up to suspension. It sounds like maybe for the fraternity and sorority rush weeks.

IWannaGoFast1
AG
agrab86 said:

jac4 said:

scd88 said:

redd38 said:

They probably do, cuz they're closed at their home as well. But kids are innovative - they will find numerous other ways to party, and spend less money in the process.
Wife and MiL went house hunting last weekend and one of the houses had a garage full of beer. I mean full. Cases were stacked everywhere, forming narrow walkways around the garage between 3 and 5ft high. Mil thought it was just boxes. Nope, all full. They have clearly been prepping for this for awhile.
cavscout96
AG
coleasterling said:

agrab86 said:

jac4 said:

scd88 said:

redd38 said:

Wife and MiL went house hunting last weekend and one of the houses had a garage full of beer. I mean full. Cases were stacked everywhere, forming narrow walkways around the garage between 3 and 5ft high. Mil thought it was just boxes. Nope, all full. They have clearly been prepping for this for awhile.
and y'all thought preppers were crazy..... this is gold medal-level.
redd38
AG
Just made a trip to specs, lots of their kegs are listed as sold out
txgardengirl
Studio - you need to drive around during the day or attempt a target run they're back. Some areas that are high density student housing are leased at closer to 100% than last year even!

I'm thankful they're here!
JMac03
AG
While I may sometimes grumble when the traffic is bad, I am glad they are back. The economy desperately needs it.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
some colleges at A&M have said the same thing about "studying" together -- on or off campus on their personal time. Not sure that's enforcible.
armymom
I'm thinking that COVID increase will be remarkable by Sept 1 with possible closure again. I sure hope not but can't see it not happening.
I'm happy to see the Aggies come back...and I'll be happy to see them leave at the end of the semester!
979ag
AG
I know that many fraternities bought all of their beer for Chilifest before rona, and then got stuck with it once it was canceled. A buddy told me the that they have 300 cases of Keystone Light that they have no idea what they're going to do with.

I would bet that is why that house was so loaded down haha
redd38
AG
979ag said:

they have 300 cases of Keystone Light that they have no idea what they're going to do with.

More evidence of A&M's declining standards, imagine not knowing what to do with a bunch of beer.
Post removed:
by user
doubledog
Slocum on a mobile said:

jac4 said:

scd88 said:

redd38 said:

Bars may be closed but keg parties and rush is definitely ON LIKE DONKEY KONG! You get the Rona, you get the rona, everybody gets the rona!!!!
I wonder why the CS council has not banned keg sales to individuals. It seems that is something they would do.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.