B/CS punk community?

11,345 Views | 56 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by threecatcorner
Buford T. Justice
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a cool thread.
I never left B/CS after graduating in '97.
I can remember seeing the Killer Bees in '94-'95.
They always drew the ladies, which drew a crowd.
SoTxAg
AG
Sausalito apts in the late 80s we use to put our speakers in the windows facing the pool and play Dead Kennedys, MDC, Fear, SxDx, Minor Threat, etc... to entertain the crowd. Good times.
For live shows we went to Houston.
FlyRod
Quote:

I've been into punk music going back to high school. Mostly New York Hardcore stuff, but also Black Flag, Ramones and others.

This thread reminds me of a time when I was chatting up a young co-ed (long before I met my wife) and we were talking about our music likes. When I said I liked punk she says "oh you mean like Avril Lavigne!"[

Not so much, no.

You have excellent taste. Saw Black Flag sooooo many times in DC when I lived there.
nashvilleaggie11
Century Square has a new Thursday night Open Mic starting tomorrow from 8-10pm. You never know who you'll meet.
Spyderman
AG
FlyRod said:

Quote:

I've been into punk music going back to high school. Mostly New York Hardcore stuff, but also Black Flag, Ramones and others.

This thread reminds me of a time when I was chatting up a young co-ed (long before I met my wife) and we were talking about our music likes. When I said I liked punk she says "oh you mean like Avril Lavigne!"[

Not so much, no.

You have excellent taste. Saw Black Flag sooooo many times in DC when I lived there.
We drove over to Austin back in the mid '70s to see the Ramones at the World Armadillo Headquarters or something. One of the members wore an A&M sweatshirt on one of the album covers. I purchased an Aggie beanie and tossed it on stage. Wonder what became of that? Was very loud and energetic for sure. I was the designated driver coming home..
Grab some popcorn...why the ongoing cover-up? The Phenomenon: FF to 1:22:35 https://tubitv.com/movies/632920/the-phenomenon

An est. 68 MILLION Americans, including 19 MILLION Black Children, have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

TAMU purpose statement: To develop leaders of character dedicated to serving the greater good. Team entrance song at KYLE FIELD is laced with profanity including THE Nword..
The greater good?
legalbird
I need a list of all the underground sub culture clubs out there
Post removed:
by user
doubledog
KirakiraYugoRU said:

I'm just curious to know if there's anybody else who's into punk music/style, and where exactly I might be able to go to meet people with such interests. I know that country culture is way, WAY more prevalent in BCS, but I do hope it might be possible to find a couple of fellow punks and possible future friends around here.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, because I've seen two punk guys before (though they might have been the same guy given that it was 3 months apart) but unfortunately I didn't approach them and start a conversation.
Probably kind of a silly question for here, but hey, it couldn't hurt to ask lol
Sorry I blew up those records with all of the disco records I had in 1976. (sad they may be worth something now)
BCStalk
Curious if anyone knows when revs closed down?
FlyRod
During Covid. A lot of the staff and regulars have relocated to 101.
nought
AG
101?
halibut sinclair
nought said:

101?

The 101. It's a cool bar in an old gas station on Texas near the courthouse.
Post removed:
by user
Donny Hall
BCStalk said:

Curious if anyone knows when revs closed down?
It was on the decline since pre-covid. Last I talked to Rola shes figuring out what she wants to do with it and that was a few weeks back.
91poohah
AG
Look what I stumbled across….

I ran Marooned Records on Northgate from '91-'94/'95. Then Chris Penn (currently Good Records in Dallas) took it over. TC ran Stafford Opera House, and we did some decent shows, certainly for BCS.

Fugazi (as mentioned above)
Dinosaur Jr.
Fishbone
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Jawbreaker
Jawbox
No Doubt (free for over 21, $5 for minors, maybe 50 people total attendance)
Green Day ($5, maybe 50 local people, but packed with Austin, Houston, Corpus, and San Antonio kids)
Lungfish
Citizen Fish
Avail
GWAR (cancelled pre-emptively by fire marshall)
Jesus Lizard
Dead Milkmen
Mary's Danish
Michelle Shocked
fIREHOSE
commonwealth
Pansy Division
J Church
DeadHorse
All (Descendents)
Face to Face
Jack O Fire
Poison 13
Soul Coughing
Nation of Ulysses
Nomeansno
Shudder to Think
Tilt
Voodoo Glow Skulls
Holy Rollers
And lots of others…. I was tied into Dischord Records and Lookout Records, and got all their shows. It was a good run and lots of fun. Also tons of other acts and big shows like Jimmy Cliff and all the Texas singer/songwriters and country acts.
91poohah
AG
I got them off the tour they were doing with Neil Young at the time of that show. They drove over from Austin and the place was packed. Wasn't one of my favorite bands, but those that liked them loved the show.
91poohah
AG
You can buy a recording of it through the Fugazi live series-

Link to Setlist and info…
91poohah
AG
Just added a list above of a bunch of the shows I brought in…. We had a nice little scene for the most part.
FlyRod
Almost weeping at that list. Trying to imagine those bands playing the Stafford. Holy s**t, well done!
91poohah
AG
Marooned had a good run, and the shows at Stafford and even Northgate Live were awesome. We even did a Dodgeball Musicfest out at the Welborn Community Center with a bunch of Austin bands. Weird having a bunch of punks hanging out in Welborn in '93
birdman
Saw nearly all of the shows at the top of the list. Didn't recognize most of bottom two-thirds.

Always enjoyed the blues guys like Junior Medlow, Christ Duarte, Eric Johnson.

And the Texas acts were great - Ely, Keen, Jimmy Dale Gilmore.

You forgot to mention Skanking Pickle Great band that put on incredible shows.
legalbird
The Clash filmed one of their videos in Austin. Rock the Casbah
threecatcorner
I notice GWAR says "cancelled preemptively be fire marshal". Due to special effects they would have wanted to do?

I remember cops were waiting outside Billygoat concert, I think to arrest singer if he decided to be naked, but not positive. Not sure if they count as punk, but there was definitely mosh pit / slam dancing at their shows.

Marooned was awesome. I'm guessing it got priced out of Northgate?
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.