B/CS punk community?

8,633 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 11 days ago by threecatcorner
KirakiraYugoRU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm just curious to know if there's anybody else who's into punk music/style, and where exactly I might be able to go to meet people with such interests. I know that country culture is way, WAY more prevalent in BCS, but I do hope it might be possible to find a couple of fellow punks and possible future friends around here.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one, because I've seen two punk guys before (though they might have been the same guy given that it was 3 months apart) but unfortunately I didn't approach them and start a conversation.
Probably kind of a silly question for here, but hey, it couldn't hurt to ask lol
FlyRod
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Start at Revs (Revolution).
threecatcorner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
A long time ago, there was Marooned Records which would put signs up for various shows; they were in Northgate, but are long gone.

There also used to be a lot (kind of a lot, for here at least) of punk shows at the Stafford Opera House in downtown Bryan. I think that building is still around but called something else, and I don't think there are bands there at all.

My info about listening to punk music here is all very dated. In the 1990s, there was more than you'd expect for BCS, but I have no clue about anything current.
patrick.redmill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rev is the best answer. A good number of regional punk bands cycle through there. Rev, along with the Stafford, have hosted Loud Fest the past few years (excepting this year, of course). Pretty good punk representation there, I hope they get it going again next year.

Also chat up the owner at Curious Collectibles. She may have her finger on the pulse of the local scene. That is if you aren't too old to go to house parties (which eliminates me).
KirakiraYugoRU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
patrick.redmill said:

Rev is the best answer. A good number of regional punk bands cycle through there. Rev, along with the Stafford, have hosted Loud Fest the past few years (excepting this year, of course). Pretty good punk representation there, I hope they get it going again next year.

Also chat up the owner at Curious Collectibles. She may have her finger on the pulse of the local scene. That is if you aren't too old to go to house parties (which eliminates me).
Thanks for the advice y'all ^^ Do those places you mentioned have a website that says when they have music there to make sure I can go on the right days?
I'm 21, so I guess that doesn't rule me out? Or does it? Idk, I've never been to one (I was always the super shy quiet kid in high school and never really made any friends) so I don't know what to expect.
Yeah, I went there the other day and looked around, got some stickers (and realized I have no idea who 90% of the artists they have on CDs are. As for records I didn't look at the records because I don't own a record player so that might not be too useful) but unfortunately I ended up leaving before I could talk to the guy there about local punk stuff because I was getting too hot and sweaty, I guess the A/C wasn't working very well.
techno-ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Nothing to add except the obligatory Dirty Harry reference.

patrick.redmill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
KirakiraYugoRU said:


I'm 21, so I guess that doesn't rule me out? Or does it?


Ha! I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek, but at 21, I would live it up if I were you.

To be totally honest, I don't know if that sort of diy scene is here, or ever has been here. I saw some great bands that went on to real careers when I was in college (this was Nashville, mind you). Now that I think about it, I got the invites to those parties because I DJed on the college radio station. Perhaps you need a punk show on KEOS? I would listen!

I'm sure these places are closed at the moment, but Rev has a Facebook page:
https://m.facebook.com/revolutionbcs/

The Stafford's website:
https://grandstaffordtheater.com/
J182
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Revolution is gonna be about the only place for what you're looking for. When music was a lot more prevalent, you could find shows most weekends. Stafford used to be a lot better about bringing in a wider ranger of acts, but unfortunately has gone waaaay downhill (I worked there when it reopened a few years ago and stayed for about 3 years).
👽
birdman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw Fugazi at Stafford Opera house about 25 years ago. I can't remember anything punk happening since then.
sornman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
As mentioned, Loud!Fest is a great event that has been going on 10+ years. 50+ bands, 3 nights, $5. With covid, there was no Loud!Fest this year, but you can check out their website and see some of the acts that come through town here: http://www.bcsloudfest.com/lineup.htm .. Clicking on the band names usually gets you a brief synopsis, band's URL, and a video clip.

Also, Rev (https://www.facebook.com/revolutionbcs/) is the bar that most of the bands will play in throughout the year, but, as it is a bar, it is currently closed. You can go through their fb page and get more insight.

Almost everything here is DIY, so you won't see big names here (usually), but you will see a lot of out of town bands that are touring and need a place to play in between other shows. There are also many quality local acts.
K2T2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey! I'm heavily involved in the local DIY music scene, and can definitively say Rev is the place for punk, and really, for live music at all. The Stafford is very picky and hoity toity and generally boring about what it allows, and it's a really sterile, cold environment, so if you want DIY/loud/fun/sweaty/community, Rev is the place. It's like our own living room in downtown Bryan. Unfortunately, it's been closed since March, with absolutely no plans for reopening anytime soon, or maybe even ever.

Since you can't really get out to shows right now, it might be worth checking out 979Represent, the local zine some friends and I been putting out for a decade. There's all sorts of stuff in there, but also reviews of local music, lists of shows/band livestreams, and junk like that.

If you're looking for a list of bands to check out, checking out the L!F site is a great resource, since a lot of those bands are locals or bands that come through a lot. Also, if you've been waiting to start a band, this is the place to do it. Barriers are low, and the community is great.
J182
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
K2T2 said:

Hey! I'm heavily involved in the local DIY music scene, and can definitively say Rev is the place for punk, and really, for live music at all. The Stafford is very picky and hoity toity and generally boring about what it allows, and it's a really sterile, cold environment, so if you want DIY/loud/fun/sweaty/community, Rev is the place. It's like our own living room in downtown Bryan. Unfortunately, it's been closed since March, with absolutely no plans for reopening anytime soon, or maybe even ever.

Since you can't really get out to shows right now, it might be worth checking out 979Represent, the local zine some friends and I been putting out for a decade. There's all sorts of stuff in there, but also reviews of local music, lists of shows/band livestreams, and junk like that.

If you're looking for a list of bands to check out, checking out the L!F site is a great resource, since a lot of those bands are locals or bands that come through a lot. Also, if you've been waiting to start a band, this is the place to do it. Barriers are low, and the community is great.
Stafford used to be so much fun to work at and to catch a show. Driver Friendly, The Bright Light Social Hour, Kopecky (fka Kopecky Family Band), David Ramirez, and many more are some of my favorite shows I've ever been to. Really a shame what's happened to it in the last few years.
👽
KirakiraYugoRU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
patrick.redmill said:

KirakiraYugoRU said:


I'm 21, so I guess that doesn't rule me out? Or does it?


Ha! I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek, but at 21, I would live it up if I were you.

To be totally honest, I don't know if that sort of diy scene is here, or ever has been here. I saw some great bands that went on to real careers when I was in college (this was Nashville, mind you). Now that I think about it, I got the invites to those parties because I DJed on the college radio station. Perhaps you need a punk show on KEOS? I would listen!

I'm sure these places are closed at the moment, but Rev has a Facebook page:
https://m.facebook.com/revolutionbcs/

The Stafford's website:
https://grandstaffordtheater.com/
I would do a show for them, I just don't know the first thing about DJing or hosting a show (punk or otherwise) not to mention I have an awful stutter. Now if someone else wants to start a show I could be a co-host, following the other person's example.
And thanks for the links! I'm bookmarking them now.
KirakiraYugoRU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
K2T2 said:

Hey! I'm heavily involved in the local DIY music scene, and can definitively say Rev is the place for punk, and really, for live music at all. The Stafford is very picky and hoity toity and generally boring about what it allows, and it's a really sterile, cold environment, so if you want DIY/loud/fun/sweaty/community, Rev is the place. It's like our own living room in downtown Bryan. Unfortunately, it's been closed since March, with absolutely no plans for reopening anytime soon, or maybe even ever.

Since you can't really get out to shows right now, it might be worth checking out 979Represent, the local zine some friends and I been putting out for a decade. There's all sorts of stuff in there, but also reviews of local music, lists of shows/band livestreams, and junk like that.

If you're looking for a list of bands to check out, checking out the L!F site is a great resource, since a lot of those bands are locals or bands that come through a lot. Also, if you've been waiting to start a band, this is the place to do it. Barriers are low, and the community is great.
Thank you so much for the advice! I'm wondering if there's like any ways to connect with people who share that interest now, given that the main ways to do so are cancelled right now kinda stupid that all this closing everything down happened over a glorified flu, definitely not worth making my already bad social life even worse tbh Maybe there's a Facebook group or something that I can join for starters. If not I might try making my own Facebook group for the local punk scene!
I guess it's a good thing after all that I didn't delete my Facebook. I may hate FB with a burning passion rivaled only by Twitter and TikTok, but no other platform really has that kind of local connection and I've had a really awful experience with searching for the more national/international punk communities on other platforms to say the least. (Not to mention that I wanted to make real life friends, not more online friends I can't do anything with, so that would kind of defeat the purpose.)
Robin Sparkles
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:


Quote:

K2T2 said:
Hey! I'm heavily involved in the local DIY music scene, and can definitively say Rev is the place for punk, and really, for live music at all. The Stafford is very picky and hoity toity and generally boring about what it allows, and it's a really sterile, cold environment, so if you want DIY/loud/fun/sweaty/community, Rev is the place. It's like our own living room in downtown Bryan. Unfortunately, it's been closed since March, with absolutely no plans for reopening anytime soon, or maybe even ever.

Since you can't really get out to shows right now, it might be worth checking out 979Represent, the local zine some friends and I been putting out for a decade. There's all sorts of stuff in there, but also reviews of local music, lists of shows/band livestreams, and junk like that.

If you're looking for a list of bands to check out, checking out the L!F site is a great resource, since a lot of those bands are locals or bands that come through a lot. Also, if you've been waiting to start a band, this is the place to do it. Barriers are low, and the community is great.
Stafford used to be so much fun to work at and to catch a show. Driver Friendly, The Bright Light Social Hour, Kopecky (fka Kopecky Family Band), David Ramirez, and many more are some of my favorite shows I've ever been to. Really a shame what's happened to it in the last few years.

100% agree. Stafford was great when it first opened until the end of 2014. They were bringing in amazing acts (that have now gone on to great things nationally) and selling out shows. Now (well, in pre-COVID times), they only host the same 3 musicians who seem to be on a rotating basis.

Man, I really miss the old Stafford.
EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I ran sound at SOH back when TC had it. Some of the groups/acts I worked with were -

Billy Goat
Dead Horse
Fugazi
Fishbone
Del Castillo
Pushmonkey
Robert Earl Keen
Jesus Lizard
Nixons
******ed Elf


and i am sure I am missing a ton of acts that played there between 92-94


EliteElectric
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chris Duarte
Bo Diddley
BB King
Alseep at the Wheel
patrick.redmill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
birdman said:

I saw Fugazi at Stafford Opera house about 25 years ago. I can't remember anything punk happening since then.
To be totally fair, it would be really, really hard to top that. I had no idea they came here ... that's amazing!
K2T2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I mean, the only way really to connect with people right now would be FB/social media. The only good meeting place is closed indefinitely, and shows are a BIG no right now (also, there would be no place to play). You're kind of out of luck if a big social introduction to the music scene here is what you're looking for right now. It's in hibernation mode. It sucks, but thems the breaks.
patrick.redmill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robin Sparkles said:

100% agree. Stafford was great when it first opened until the end of 2014. They were bringing in amazing acts (that have now gone on to great things nationally) and selling out shows. Now (well, in pre-COVID times), they only host the same 3 musicians who seem to be on a rotating basis.

Man, I really miss the old Stafford.
I was around the folks rehabbing the Stafford about 7 years ago. They had good intentions, but it appeared to me that they were pouring lot of money into it. The probably cannot justify the existence of that space by catering to niche music communities.

Really sad to hear that Revolution might not come back, but color me skeptical. That's a Cerone-family business. I figure they have the capital to survive the pandemic and, in good times, I suspect Revolution makes good money. There is always a good crowd and the drinks are surprisingly expensive considering the state of the bathroom.

If Rev doesn't come back, there is a good business opportunity for someone who wants to have an Emo's/Mohawk/etc., etc. styled club in Bryan.
K2T2
How long do you want to ignore this user?
patrick.redmill said:

Robin Sparkles said:

100% agree. Stafford was great when it first opened until the end of 2014. They were bringing in amazing acts (that have now gone on to great things nationally) and selling out shows. Now (well, in pre-COVID times), they only host the same 3 musicians who seem to be on a rotating basis.

Man, I really miss the old Stafford.
I was around the folks rehabbing the Stafford about 7 years ago. They had good intentions, but it appeared to me that they were pouring lot of money into it. The probably cannot justify the existence of that space by catering to niche music communities.

Really sad to hear that Revolution might not come back, but color me skeptical. That's a Cerone-family business. I figure they have the capital to survive the pandemic and, in good times, I suspect Revolution makes good money. There is always a good crowd and the drinks are surprisingly expensive considering the state of the bathroom.

If Rev doesn't come back, there is a good business opportunity for someone who wants to have an Emo's/Mohawk/etc., etc. styled club in Bryan.
It's not a "won't come back" because of money. That place makes the money it needs to pay off everything for the month (a pittance) on First Friday. It was never intended to to be the center of punks/drunks/weirdos it's become, it was supposed to be a hippie drum circle cafe spot, but the punks drank beer, and drinking beer keeps the bar open. Currently, it's in shambles, and the intention if it does open up is to push out the live music stuff that was happening there and be a nice quiet hippie bar/cafe.
Clucky
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think Dinosaur Jr. played in '93, maybe '94? I just remember because I bought tickets, but then my Mom wouldn't let me go ( I was like 13) .
patrick.redmill
How long do you want to ignore this user?
K2T2 said:

It's not a "won't come back" because of money. That place makes the money it needs to pay off everything for the month (a pittance) on First Friday. It was never intended to to be the center of punks/drunks/weirdos it's become, it was supposed to be a hippie drum circle cafe spot, but the punks drank beer, and drinking beer keeps the bar open. Currently, it's in shambles, and the intention if it does open up is to push out the live music stuff that was happening there and be a nice quiet hippie bar/cafe.
Woof, good luck to them, but their "kitchen" has a long way to go. That, and The Village has been been filling that role for a long time.
KirakiraYugoRU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
K2T2 said:

I mean, the only way really to connect with people right now would be FB/social media. The only good meeting place is closed indefinitely, and shows are a BIG no right now (also, there would be no place to play). You're kind of out of luck if a big social introduction to the music scene here is what you're looking for right now. It's in hibernation mode. It sucks, but thems the breaks.
I guess so, maybe not a super big social introduction (even if those were possible now, I think there's a certain limit of crowd size where the number of people makes socializing and actually having fun a lot harder) but something small would definitely be nice... especially for me as a beginner not only to the punk scene but making friends in general. I can't really think of any examples- right now what I had in mind I guess was going into Curious Collections or something and seeing a small group of like 3-4 people there and just going "Oh my god, I absolutely love that band you're looking at/all your patches on your battle jacket" and friendship just kinda... happens somehow- but whatever it is by the end of it I would actually kind of have a friends group of some sort and we would go out and do fun stuff together (whatever friends do... tbh I've never had more than two friends at any given time and I've never really ended up having an actual outing with both of them, I've always just invited them over to come play video games or whatever)
Is there already Facebook and other social media stuff for that right now? Or do I have to make a group myself?
Slawster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
There's actually a large punk community here. Its just all shut down at the moment since its bar based.
Slawster
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm trying to guess who you are. I think I have an idea lol.
Spyderman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I spray painted RAMONES on our old shed back in the '70's. Mesa Verde Drive extension in Indian Lakes took out the old place. Sad deal. Great concert at the old Armadillo World Hdqts in '77.

No good live music in BCS as far as I know..
The Extraterrestrial reality-should we keep living the lie?
“The very word “secrecy” is repugnant in a free and open society..
"-JFK...

An est. 68 MILLION Americans have been killed in the WOMB since 1973-act, pray and vote accordingly.

Kayne's "POWER"....is it time to purge the filth?
KirakiraYugoRU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Hey, just thought I'd put this here... I mean, it's probably not the right place to put it, but I've just started a FB group for the local punk scene. https://www.facebook.com/groups/2861323220820854/about/
If there's somewhere better I should be sharing that please let me know
Belton Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been into punk music going back to high school. Mostly New York Hardcore stuff, but also Black Flag, Ramones and others.

This thread reminds me of a time when I was chatting up a young co-ed (long before I met my wife) and we were talking about our music likes. When I said I liked punk she says "oh you mean like Avril Lavigne!"

Not so much, no.
tbone94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
EliteElectric said:

I ran sound at SOH back when TC had it. Some of the groups/acts I worked with were -

Billy Goat
Dead Horse
Fugazi
Fishbone
Del Castillo
Pushmonkey
Robert Earl Keen
Jesus Lizard
Nixons
******ed Elf


and i am sure I am missing a ton of acts that played there between 92-94





Don't forget about:
Joe Rockhead
Ugly American
Little Sister
Cowboy Mouth
Donny Hall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
late to the convo.

the underground revs folks call ourselves revrats. there is a good little scene with a mix of age and different people. there have been a few house shows here and there but people arnt doing much until bars open. most people i know are OGs now like Ian, atari matt, wonko, kiri, Ian does have younger kids with a band sykotic tendancies and thats where a lot of new blood is. I crossed over with dj screw / thrash crowds a bit and thats how i met most of those guys.

my parents helped john williams run 3rd floor and dixie theatre when russ welch moved my dad down here to work at the harley shop in 93. I grew up 15 years old at the bar watching killer bees back when downtown bryan was dangerous and more fun

i did music videos in houston from 2003-2009 before moving to LA. All the old swisher house / rapalot / UGK stuff and dated the door girl at Rudyards (punk rock stacy) for a while. RIP stacy. plenty of gutterpunk / fixie kids in Houston. miss my street art friends the most.

we are all pretty old now and have families. you tend to meet a lot of people through shows and tattoo shops.

heads up, a lot of people have substance abuse and other issues. if you can make it out of the cycle, its a fun ride for a while
KirakiraYugoRU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Donny Hall said:

late to the convo.

the underground revs folks call ourselves revrats. there is a good little scene with a mix of age and different people. there have been a few house shows here and there but people arnt doing much until bars open. most people i know are OGs now like Ian, atari matt, wonko, kiri, Ian does have younger kids with a band sykotic tendancies and thats where a lot of new blood is. I crossed over with dj screw / thrash crowds a bit and thats how i met most of those guys.

my parents helped john williams run 3rd floor and dixie theatre when russ welch moved my dad down here to work at the harley shop in 93. I grew up 15 years old at the bar watching killer bees back when downtown bryan was dangerous and more fun

i did music videos in houston from 2003-2009 before moving to LA. All the old swisher house / rapalot / UGK stuff and dated the door girl at Rudyards (punk rock stacy) for a while. RIP stacy. plenty of gutterpunk / fixie kids in Houston. miss my street art friends the most.

we are all pretty old now and have families. you tend to meet a lot of people through shows and tattoo shops.

heads up, a lot of people have substance abuse and other issues. if you can make it out of the cycle, its a fun ride for a while
Confused what you mean by "if you can make it out of the cycle". I don't plan on using any substances, if that was what you were talking about. IMO if you need to be high or drunk to enjoy doing something then you don't really enjoy it and your friends are boring lol
Of course that's not to say I don't have a cross to bear too, mine's just basically mental health related stuff.

Does that mean that there aren't any people closer to my age (in the 18-25ish range) and don't have families? Because people closer to my age, I usually get along better with and feel more comfortable around.

I'm really hoping though that there's at least some place that I could go while the bars are still closed so I can meet some local people and maybe for once in my life have some friends, and go do something with them that's not at a bar. (I have no idea what friends groups do since I've really only ever had one friend at any given time in school... not trying to make people feel bad, I'm just stating a fact, if I did suddenly wind up with a couple of friends from that crowd I would have literally no idea what we'd do.)
Donny Hall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Staff
all the suggestions here are good.

If revs was open you would find people your age immediately. If I hear of a house show or something I'll let you know but gathering are capped. I'm just a generation older.

There are several straight edge punks and such. I was just giving you some game, I don't judge anyone for life choices, I was just reminiscing on my glory days lol

You can still find me walking boomboxes through downtown or north gate on occasion lol
KirakiraYugoRU
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Donny Hall said:

all the suggestions here are good.

If revs was open you would find people your age immediately. If I hear of a house show or something I'll let you know but gathering are capped. I'm just a generation older.

There are several straight edge punks and such. I was just giving you some game, I don't judge anyone for life choices, I was just reminiscing on my glory days lol

You can still find me walking boomboxes through downtown or north gate on occasion lol
That's good to know!
I probably won't end up walking around downtown or anything until the weather cools off substantially. I don't do heat very well at all lol
But I guess maybe finding like... chance encounters in random places will probably be the best shot atm. To elaborate a bit on that, I did once see a fellow punk at a thrift store. He had a red kinda flippy mohawk and I think an eyebrow ring or two, maybe a tattoo on his hand? Main thing I remember is that he did enjoy talking to me and we had a fun conversation, but I didn't think to ask for his #, social media or anything until he'd already left. I'm definitely hoping I run into him around town again, whether there or somewhere else. And of course, that next chance encounter like that I have, I'll actually remember to (and be brave enough to) ask for their number/social media/etc so we can talk more.
tbone94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Donny Hall said:

late to the convo.

the underground revs folks call ourselves revrats. there is a good little scene with a mix of age and different people. there have been a few house shows here and there but people arnt doing much until bars open. most people i know are OGs now like Ian, atari matt, wonko, kiri, Ian does have younger kids with a band sykotic tendancies and thats where a lot of new blood is. I crossed over with dj screw / thrash crowds a bit and thats how i met most of those guys.

my parents helped john williams run 3rd floor and dixie theatre when russ welch moved my dad down here to work at the harley shop in 93. I grew up 15 years old at the bar watching killer bees back when downtown bryan was dangerous and more fun

i did music videos in houston from 2003-2009 before moving to LA. All the old swisher house / rapalot / UGK stuff and dated the door girl at Rudyards (punk rock stacy) for a while. RIP stacy. plenty of gutterpunk / fixie kids in Houston. miss my street art friends the most.

we are all pretty old now and have families. you tend to meet a lot of people through shows and tattoo shops.

heads up, a lot of people have substance abuse and other issues. if you can make it out of the cycle, its a fun ride for a while


Do you know Papa Joe? Lol
Page 1 of 2
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.