Its the apocalypse! Kyle field will be at 50% estimate...

10,663 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by double b
studioone
How long do you want to ignore this user?

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/28/texas-am-athletics-director-shares-financial-needs-and-updates-on-football-season/
CS78
I know where they can locate a quick $100 mil.
curry97
AG
They've made their bed, now they must lie in it.
oklaunion
If seats are 18-24" apart, laterally, and rows are what, 3' behind the one in front ? How the heck are they going to get 50% in that stadium with people yelling at the top of their lungs? All the while telling the 51% establishments they have to stay closed? And I'll bet a hot topic after the 1st game will be commenting on the distancing police.
histag10
AG
Im not particularly fond of them asking for money from the people they have shunned and have been calling racists for the past few months...
FlyRod
As an old fishing guide I knew in Montana used to say, trying to make this work is like watching 7 monkeys trying to **** a football.
JimInBCS
oklaunion said:

If seats are 18-24" apart, laterally, and rows are what, 3' behind the one in front ? How the heck are they going to get 50% in that stadium with people yelling at the top of their lungs? All the while telling the 51% establishments they have to stay closed? And I'll bet a hot topic after the 1st game will be commenting on the distancing police.

Great point. I think it might help to some degree to seat groups together. On say a 20 person row, you'd have 5 groups of 4 seats. On row 1, they'd fill the 1st, 3rd, and 5th group of 4 seats, with the 2nd and 4th group of 4 vacant. On the row behind, just the opposite with the 2nd and 4th grouping of 4 seats filled. That way no one sits directly in front of or directly behind anyone else. And you'd have 4 empty seats between each group of 4 on each row.

Not a perfect solution, especially when a particular group of 4 are not related and already living under the same roof.

Plus, it means some people accustomed to great seats will end up in the nosebleed end zone sections as well.
histag10
AG
Im curious how that will work for the student section. Will their be a lottery to see if you even get to pull tickets? Will they be refunding sports passes?
rsa
AG
t.u. is looking at a potential 25% cap for football.
greentab81
AG
histag10 said:

Im not particularly fond of them asking for money from the people they have shunned and have been calling racists for the past few months...
When the Athletic Department finds itself with shortfalls in the budget, it won't come out of the football program as much as it will the smaller sports. But sacrifices must be made for what those 3-4 athletes said.
bobinator
AG
histag10 said:

I can't believe this has 15 likes.
Tattoo
AG
histag10 said:

Will they be refunding sports passes?

Haha haha!

They should be refunding a lot more than that already, with the whole TAMUOnline. Don't see that happening.
histag10
AG
Tattoo said:

histag10 said:

Will they be refunding sports passes?

Haha haha!

They should be refunding a lot more than that already, with the whole TAMUOnline. Don't see that happening.

Online classes actually cost more than on campus classes. They are not charging the online price though, so technically you are saving money, i believe.
histag10
AG
bobinator said:

histag10 said:

I can't believe this has 15 likes.

Why can you not believe it? There are a ton of donors and former students who are not happy with the message coming out of the athletic office and football program for the past few months.
bobinator
AG
The athletic department has not called our donors racist is why I can't believe it.

You might not like what a few of our players have said themselves, but that's not the whole athletic department.

Just seems dramatic to say they've been calling people racist and now they're asking for money from those people. That isn't what's been happening.
histag10
AG
The athletic department has made it clear that they stand behind what our vocal athletes are saying. They sit complicit, which to me is the same thing.
bobinator
AG
How have they made that clear, and how exactly would you recommend they take some other stance?
histag10
AG
Fisher and Bjork have attended the athletes rallys on campus. To me, that is them clearly backing their stance, especially when those rallys turn into student athletes calling old ags racist and yelling at them. There has been no comment from the athletic department saying otherwise.

The best way to make their stance known is for them to not attend the rallys and to publically say that these athletes are not acting on behalf of the university when they make these remarks, and that the athletic department does not condone violence or intolerance of others with differing view points. That would be a good start. But the best way for them to make their side clear would be to do what other coaches have in the past, and discipline athletes for speaking to the news and for embarrassing the university publically. No previous coach has allowed any student athlete to publically bash the university or its donors.
bobinator
AG
Did Fisher and/or Bjork attend the anti-Sully protests?

Also no athletic department in the world is going to punish athletes for doing interviews in the offseason.

Expecting the athletic department to push back on athletes wanting to say something is a recipe for a PR disaster and just a wild thing to expect them to do.
pants
histag10 said:

intolerance of others with differing view points.
That's actually what some Aggies are doing to other Aggies (football players) when none of them has damaged the statue, only protested having to walk past a Confederate general every day who is glorified in the greatest place of honor on campus.

There is a lot to be said for and against Sully, but you have to at least admit they have a right to be uncomfortable about A&M glorifying someone who fought a war for the right to literally own black people.
histag10
AG
bobinator said:

Did Fisher and/or Bjork attend the anti-Sully protests?

Also no athletic department in the world is going to punish athletes for doing interviews in the offseason.

Expecting the athletic department to push back on athletes wanting to say something is a recipe for a PR disaster and just a wild thing to expect them to do.

Id have to search for the articles again, but the batt an eagle both had articles saying Bjork and Fisher attended the BLM marches on campus
bobinator
AG
They were at the athlete's unity march, but that wasn't a protest against Sul Ross. It wasn't even a protest against anything really, just a unity march.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter but it's just wild that a bunch of people have apparently interpreted this as the athletic department calling donors racist.
histag10
AG
pants said:

histag10 said:

intolerance of others with differing view points.
That's actually what some Aggies are doing to other Aggies (football players) when none of them has damaged the statue, only protested having to walk past a Confederate general every day who is glorified in the greatest place of honor on campus.

There is a lot to be said for and against Sully, but you have to at least admit they have a right to be uncomfortable about A&M glorifying someone who fought a war for the right to literally own black people.

If you think the civil war was solely about "the right to literally own people", you really should do a bit more research on the civil war. I would suggest starting with James McPherson's "What They Fought For". Its a great entry book into the driving emotions and feelings in the south that led to those to fight.
FlyRod
There's not going to be a football season...at least not one that lasts more then three games. Y'all are cute in your blissful ignorance. You really have no idea what's coming. And honestly, take some comfort in that.
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

There's not going to be a football season...at least not one that lasts more then three games. Y'all are cute in your blissful ignorance. You really have no idea what's coming. And honestly, take some comfort in that.
Just curious, do you hope you are correct or incorrect regarding the length of the football season and "what's coming," and just what do you think is coming?
cavscout96
AG
agrab86 said:

FlyRod said:

Just curious, do you hope you are correct or incorrect regarding the length of the football season and "what's coming," and just what do you think is coming?

He's been doling it this line for months.
isitjustme
AG
I know, and he usually is more straightforward. So I thought I'd ask him directly those questions.
CS78
bobinator said:

It wasn't even a protest against anything really, just a unity march.
Right, the "unity" march.

[img]?resize=1200%2C800[/img]
bobinator
AG
If people had issues with the unity walk then it probably says more about them looking to be upset about something and I'm not sure how they've survived the last few months. It was literally just the black athletes leading a walk across an empty campus to raise awareness of racial issues they face/have faced/etc.

It wasn't a protest again donors, Sul Ross or whatever else and it didn't disrupt anything.
isitjustme
AG
bobinator said:

If people had issues with the unity walk then it probably says more about them looking to be upset about something and I'm not sure how they've survived the last few months. It was literally just the black athletes leading a walk across an empty campus to raise awareness of racial issues they face/have faced/etc.

It wasn't a protest again donors, Sul Ross or whatever else and it didn't disrupt anything.
Donors are not cows who live in a vacuum. You can't just milk them no matter what happens elsewhere. Some actions will result in reactions, even from the donor class. I actually don't think most had a problem with the unity march. But when athletes like Mond and Tucker get in the faces of old ags at the Sully statue while calling for its removal; when Young jumps on a windshield note hoax and basically alleges the A&M community is full of racists and then says nothing once it's proven a hoax; and when 1/2 of the season ticket holders (12th Man contributors) aren't going to get to see games, then donors might decide not to contribute.

There's more to life than sports, and the donors are saying that their vision of A&M is pretty important to them.
bobinator
AG
That's a more measured take than saying the athletic department has been calling the donors racist, which is what i was arguing against.
Post removed:
by user
jja79
AG
3 game season you say?
Listen, they have to TRY to have football. At least give it a real, solid attempt and then when things go south, everyone can say at least we tried. I hope that we make it to 3. I'd consider that a HUGE success. 5 games would be a near miracle.
Post removed:
by user
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.