Assisted Living in BCS

1,869 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 75AG
75AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's time for Mom to move into an independent care facility. We're taking "virtual tours" next week of Watercrest Bryan, Waldenbrook Estates, and the Parc at Traditions. Any insight or experience would be appreciated. Also, other recommendations in the community would be helpful. TIA
jeffk
AG
I have a family member over at Parc. I'd be happy to share our experiences (mostly positive) with you if you'd like. Email is in my profile.
UmustBKidding
My mom is in watercrest Katy and to call it assisted is a stretch. They keep adding things you in and must subscribe to. Added you have to buy $75 in meals, then you must add a couple house keeping appointments every month. Only problem no staff to actually show up for housekeeping appointment but plenty of resources to bill you for it. Can you send someone by her apartment to welfare check since we have not been able to get in touch with her. No we can't do that. We added cameras.
ontheedge
Beware of Isle at Watercrest. Loved one had things stolen and after they passed things were removed from the room and disappeared even though "rent" was paid for several more days. Went back to move the remainder of belongings and they were no longer there nor could they be located. They could also be unresponsive at times.
Fishing Fools
The Langford in south CS. It's fairly new and no waiting list. It's associated with Crestview in Bryan. Be very careful with the places that offer Inexpensive start up pricing then different levels of care. The Langford has only one price for different levels of care. (Except memory care)

I'm very sorry with what you're going thru.
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
Have also heard good things about The Langford in terms of quality. A new one also just opened up near the Scott & White Hospital in south CS. I believe it's Huntington? Saw some "now leasing" signs in the area over the weekend.
halibut sinclair
St. Joseph Manor assisted living side is older but still nice and well-maintained. Lots of activities for the residents and a wonderful staff.
Well, okay then
AG
MIL has been at Bluebonnet Place in CS for several years. Small, comfortable, very good people in charge.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
I worked in the industry for a while. Feel free to email me I have opinions and some insight -- whoop03atgeemaildotcom

txagnative
Like "ontheedge" response above--do NOT, I repeat, do NOT consider the Isle at Watercrest. We filed a police report three years ago after parents passed away after spending 6 months there--and we realized jewelry had been stolen (conservatively valued at $12,000) when mother went to the hospital and dad was left there bedbound. (Okay, should we as the children have known not to let them have valuables there--of course--but life gets in the way and unfortunately you learn so much as elderly parents go through their last stages.) Do not be fooled by the pretty atmosphere of the place nor the promise of having clients taken care of on the "extended care" 3rd floor there. That was BS, our parents never should have been admitted there, but we were desperate at the time to keep them together (and even allowed their doctor to change the order saying they'd be okay there, I'm embarrassed to say). The manager who is still there does NOTHING to help--we learned that all the action to get anything done was through the head nurse there. After 5 there was NO security...I went in several times only to find the place looking abandoned and unable to find any staff and only 1 nurse in the entire facility who couldn't be located when one parent went into serious medical need. The floor desk was never staffed regularly--especially after 5 p.m. (they learned to rush somebody up there to the desk when they saw me coming, cause I'd complain). The staff in general are NOT trained well and let's face it, many work after hours because of need for a 2nd or 3rd job to make ends meet--which I sympathize with. Staff do not respond regularly there, and our parents complained they'd lie in bed for long periods in the room waiting for someone to respond and change bedsheets. (The intercom is not interactive, as the buzzer works only one way). Additionally, they did NOT have any kind of social worker on staff there because they weren't required to under their license status--which was desperately needed (and we as children needed) when we moved parents in the room and there was an emotional breakdown at seeing where they'd be the rest of their lives. Our parents basically gave up after that point. We had staff come to tell us about how other staff bragged about stealing the fragrance from rooms once the clients left for hospital stays. We had a couple suspects on the theft, but when I went with a list of missing items to the administrator, he said I should have known not to allow parents to have valuables and did NOTHING--even though we had a couple suspects. I'm not the only one who has filed police reports about that place. Looking back, we should have placed parents together at Generations because one parent needed skilled nursing (which The Isle promised they could handle on extended care floor even though they were not licensed for skilled nursing then)--and they could have stayed together. One parent spent last three months at Generations after suffering a major infection at The Isle and went for a long hospital stay--and we got good care and oversight for her there--which is what really counts. I will forever have to live with the guilt and grief of not knowing more upfront about how to evaluate and understand the considerations of finding best possible place for parents at assisted living stage of life. And remember, regardless of what facility, you will need to ensure you maintain constant oversight to ensure facility is doing what it is supposed to do. Good luck!
75AG
AG
Thanks to everyone for your insight, and unfortunate horror stories. Please continue to provide any information that you think would be helpful to us. Fortunately, we're not in the need to move her immediately, but within several months.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.