masks in CSISD schools?

7,363 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggiePhil
nought
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CSISD just updated their web site today to show that masks are now required for all ages, not just 10 and up as per the governor's order.

Who is advising them on health-related matters? Have they not read how young children in masks are more likely to contract COVID-19 because they don't have the maturity to not touch/mess with the mask (getting the virus, if any, from the exterior of the mask on their fingers) and then touching their eyes, nose, and mouth?

Anyone with a Kindergartner knows how hard it is to get them not to pick their nose, or how hard it is to get a first grader not to wiggle that loose tooth non-stop. Now we're going to make them wear masks that may have the virus on the outside which guarantees it will get into their eyes, nose, or (more likely, and) mouth.

They do say it might be possible to get a medical exemption from this. I can imagine a child with asthma or other respiratory issues could get an exemption if there were a pediatrician who realized that masks are doing to do nothing (and are more likely harmful) under the age of 10. Why does CSISD think the governor's order was for 10 and up?

It would be nice to find such a pediatrician.
nought
AG
By the way, here is what the CDC has to say:

"Younger children (e.g., preschool or early elementary aged) may be unable to wear a cloth face covering properly, particularly for an extended period of time. Wearing of cloth face coverings may be prioritized at times when it is difficult to maintain a distance of 6 feet from others (e.g., during carpool drop off or pick up, or when standing in line at school). Ensuring proper cloth face covering size and fit and providing children with frequent reminders and education on the importance and proper wear of cloth face coverings may help address these issues."
BANA89
AG
The elementary school Principals asked for that for consistency to avoid the age line at 10. They can all be trained, but handling one grade or a partial grade with or without masks didn't make sense, Just easier to enforce. In kindergarten The kids have a lot to learn, but starting day one with a mask is not harder than teaching them to go to the bathroom by themselves.
BANA Class of '86/'89 - Living in Aggieland!
iisanaggie
AG
After teaching preschool for 15 years and now subbing at the elementary level, your post immediately made me think of the gross things that happen in the bathrooms with young children. Here are some fun instructions regarding mask wearing in the bathroom:

1. Do not put the mask in the toilet.
2. When your mask falls in the urinal or toilet, do not put it back on.
3. When your mask falls on the floor in the restroom, do not put it back on.
4. Do not wipe with your mask.
5. Do not use your wipe to dry your hands.

So many more scenarios that could be added!
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Who is advising these people? Good grief.
KidDoc
AG
Asthma or respiratory problems are not a contraindication for a mask. Mainly neurobehavioral problems like autism and intellectual disability are the main contraindications.

And I think this is a dumb rule for the reasons listed plus the large body of evidence showing kids under 10 are not spreaders and super low risk of severe disease.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Immunocompromised kids at Texas Childrens wear masks all the time. It is not that big of a deal especially if the adults in the room are wearing them too. It is amazing what kids can tolerate -- feeding tubes, catheters, oxygen masks, picc lines....they adjust really fast. And yes, I have lots of personal experience with this. It's not a big deal unless mom and dad make it a big deal.
DavysApprentice
AG
Children in kindergarten should not have to wear masks to attend school.

There is zero argument that it would help anything.

Immune compromised children in a hospital is completely different than children in a public school setting.

I have zero idea why anyone in CSISD would think this is a good idea and I hope the parents fight it like crazy. I am one of those parents and definitely will be fighting this madness.
Carnwellag2
[We do not allow disrespectful posts on this forum. -Staff]
Ratsa
I suggest watching the YouTube video of last night's board meeting where this was discussed. Pay attention to their definition of close contact. I have my theory about why they made the change, but I'll let everyone come to their own conclusion.
EBrazosAg
AG
KidDoc said:

Asthma or respiratory problems are not a contraindication for a mask. Mainly neurobehavioral problems like autism and intellectual disability are the main contraindications.

And I think this is a dumb rule for the reasons listed plus the large body of evidence showing kids under 10 are not spreaders and super low risk of severe disease.

As a physician, granted not a Pedi, I agree with this. Mask under 10 is just dumb. Can't believe CSISD went that way. May be a teacher uprising or something.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DavysApprentice
AG

People that pay taxes in a district have every right to question the policies of the district their kids will get sent to. This policy makes no sense from a public health standpoint and go well above any requirement from the state or cdc. It's not ok to just go along with things that make zero sense. It should always be questioned
nthomas99
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

In addition there is a simple answer if you don't like the policy. You can always choose virtual learning. No one is forcing in person attendance

You know it's our tax dollars and our kids, right? We've got every right to push back against a policy almost everybody agrees has no scientific basis.

If you want fairness and freedom, then let me opt out entirely, give me the money the district would receive for my three children to hire a private tutor. If this were actually an option, this arbitrary policy changing would magically stop.
nthomas99
AG
BANA89 said:

The elementary school Principals asked for that for consistency to avoid the age line at 10.

If that's the really the case. then come on. That feedback should've happened before a public announcement less than a week ago. Intended or not, it's a policy that going to push more kids virtual, which let's face it... If it's anything like the spring, will not be as good of an education.
toolshed
AG

Google it, really? Google will likely give lots of "reasons" to wear them, some valid and some just plain made up.

As with most anything, google can provide multiple sides of most any argument. Heck, google will show me Dr Fauci saying don't wear masks! I know, I know, now we are supposed to, because he changed his statement. Point being, "Google it" doesn't necessarily point to facts.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2020/05/12/flashback_march_2020_fauci_says_theres_no_reason_to_be_walking_around_with_a_mask.html?jwsource=cl
lost my dog
Perhaps the physicians who post here would speak up in public against this mandate? The only person we seem to hear from in the corona virus world is Dr. Seth Sullivan. If there is disagreement in the medical community about the policy of young children wearing masks, it would be good if medical professionals let the school board know at the next public meeting. That is certainly the most direct route towards getting this rule rescinded.
Carnwellag2
nthomas99 said:

Carnwellag2 said:

In addition there is a simple answer if you don't like the policy. You can always choose virtual learning. No one is forcing in person attendance

You know it's our tax dollars and our kids, right? We've got every right to push back against a policy almost everybody agrees has no scientific basis.

If you want fairness and freedom, then let me opt out entirely, give me the money the district would receive for my three children to hire a private tutor. If this were actually an option, this arbitrary policy changing would magically stop.
Be glad they don't just do what seems like most every other district is doing at move everything online.

If teachers feel safer if everyone wears a mask and that means we can send our kids to school - not a hill to die on
nthomas99
AG
Carnwellag2 said:

Be glad they don't just do what seems like most every other district is doing at move everything online.

If teachers feel safer if everyone wears a mask and that means we can send our kids to school - not a hill to die on

It's not the masks per se that is frustrating, it's the attitude of changing it in less than week with no explanation given. I would never treat a customer like this because guess what? They'd stop paying me. The lack of any market forces means no need to face repercussions or innovate to what families actually want.

Again, if they just want the freedom to do what they want, give me back my tax dollars and let me have the freedom to do what I want.
EBrazosAg
AG
No one wants to hear from us. Everyone is a google Physican and epidemiologist these days. I have frankly grown weary of dealing with error from those who have not been doing this for 25+ years.
02atthelake
I have three elementary kids and was excited that two of the three wouldn't be required to wear masks until I saw the definition of "close contact" and the implication of the lack of masks on quarantine protocol. Effectively not wearing masks could mean a revolving door of 14-day quarantines for my younger ones each time someone tested positive in their class/pod (TEA regs?). While I agree that masks aren't really necessary for young kids, if wearing one means no need to quarantine for two weeks each time there is a positive case in their class/pod, I'll gladly send them in a mask. For me, stability/continuity of in-person school is more important. Like someone else mentioned above, watch the school board meeting from last night for more insight.
KidDoc
AG
lost my dog said:

Perhaps the physicians who post here would speak up in public against this mandate? The only person we seem to hear from in the corona virus world is Dr. Seth Sullivan. If there is disagreement in the medical community about the policy of young children wearing masks, it would be good if medical professionals let the school board know at the next public meeting. That is certainly the most direct route towards getting this rule rescinded.
I had a KBTX feature and a blog coming soon from CHI not sure what else you expect from physicians who are trying to do their day to day job as well as changing school board policies.

I have -0- interest in running for school board or any other elected office. I am pretty happy and busy with a medical practice + teaching A&M medical students.

threecatcorner
If they make them all wear masks, they're NOT going to have the whole class quarantine if one of them comes down with COVID-19?
02atthelake
Yes, that's my understanding. No quarantine IF everyone is wearing a mask. They walk through a couple of scenarios in the board meeting video and that is how it was presented.
AggiePhil
AG
KidDoc said:

...plus the large body of evidence showing kids under 10 are not spreaders and super low risk of severe disease.
Out of curiosity, where is that information coming from and why is it the case? Seems like kids under 10 would be way more likely to spread the virus.
txgardengirl
There are multiple physicians on the Fort Bend ISD school board, they have significantly delayed everything.

I'm not sure I agree with that approach either so if masks are the middle ground, I suppose it shall be for a time.

Quote:

No extracurricular activities, including athletics, will occur in Fort Bend ISD to start the school year with the district declaring it will begin 2020-2021 entirely online.

Considering rising coronavirus cases, the district says it will phase in in-person learning with small groups but the timeline for that is currently unknown. The Texas Education Agency says school districts can opt to start the academic year online for three weeks, while still receiving state funding if all students in the district have computer and internet access at home.
from the Chronicle on initial delay
ShinerBlonde
AG
I have 2 that will need to wear masks but they are older. I am curious if anyone has a recommendation on a good mask that is comfortable to wear all day for kids? Mine have not gone out of the house much since this started so we have been doing mostly paper medical masks which wouldn't be good for all day at school every day. We bought some cloth masks from a lady on Nextdoor when this first started but they aren't comfortable for the kids. What is everyone buying for their kids to wear to school?
KidDoc
AG
AggiePhil said:

KidDoc said:

...plus the large body of evidence showing kids under 10 are not spreaders and super low risk of severe disease.
Out of curiosity, where is that information coming from and why is it the case? Seems like kids under 10 would be way more likely to spread the virus.
Yes that is what was expected and why schools closed. It has been found to not be the case.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/20/parenting/coronavirus-children-spread-covid-19.html

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/07/20/892354171/kids-get-coronavirus-but-do-they-spread-it-well-find-out-when-schools-reopen

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/26/10/20-1315_article

KidDoc
AG
This is a pretty awesome source for pediatric COVID info as well.

https://www.covkidproject.org/compass

CS78
02atthelake said:

Yes, that's my understanding. No quarantine IF everyone is wearing a mask. They walk through a couple of scenarios in the board meeting video and that is how it was presented.

Something tells me this is not how things will shake out. First positive test and the whole school will be on a 14 day lockdown.
02atthelake
Praying that's not the case but who knows in this environment.
JMac03
AG
ShinerBlonde said:

I have 2 that will need to wear masks but they are older. I am curious if anyone has a recommendation on a good mask that is comfortable to wear all day for kids? Mine have not gone out of the house much since this started so we have been doing mostly paper medical masks which wouldn't be good for all day at school every day. We bought some cloth masks from a lady on Nextdoor when this first started but they aren't comfortable for the kids. What is everyone buying for their kids to wear to school?
My MIL made us some but I'll be getting more. My husband and older son wear ones from Target. I've heard the ones from Old Navy are working well for kids. I plan on getting a few.
gigemags03
AG
My girls have said the ones we got from Attitude Dance Boutique are really comfortable. I'm buying one for every school day of the week because they will need to be washed daily and they will need a backup in case they sneeze. Yuck.
txgardengirl
good places for kid/adult ones - in my order of favorites

1) Attitude dance - made out of knit leotard type fabric and great fit with adjustable thin ear loops
2) And Sew on - they have the knit type that you can even get school logos/monograms - also available in multiple sizes
3) Gift Box - the cloth ones are light and also can be personalized
4) Monograms & More - the athletic ones seem to breathe well and they have a spot on the inside to write the name
5) Cloth masks are everywhere - Silver Thimble does a great job and patterns are easy to come by

Best hack yet - attach it to a lanyard with a hand sanitizer for the kiddos

We potty trained them - we can do this
JeepWaveEarl
AG
"Mainly neurobehavioral problems like autism and intellectual disability are the main contraindications."

This is what bothers me. It's going to force families to put a giant stamp on their kid's forehead that they "aren't like everyone else" where otherwise it may not be so visually identifiable. How exactly will we explain to one kid who is wearing a mask why the other child isn't? What will be the language used in the response?
jopatura
AG
ShinerBlonde said:

My kids really like the Old Navy ones and they fit really well. Definitely the best retail mask we've purchased.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.