masks in CSISD schools?

7,440 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggiePhil
b0ridi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AGGODDESS said:

"Mainly neurobehavioral problems like autism and intellectual disability are the main contraindications."

This is what bothers me. It's going to force families to put a giant stamp on their kid's forehead that they "aren't like everyone else" where otherwise it may not be so visually identifiable. How exactly will we explain to one kid who is wearing a mask why the other child isn't? What will be the language used in the response?
So no in-person school to prevent a handful of uncomfortable conversations? Kids already make fun of each other a lot and can tell who is autistic.
JeepWaveEarl
AG
"So no in-person school to prevent a handful of uncomfortable conversations?"

I said nothing about in-person or online. At all. Just a statement.
Kids get treated differently all the the time. Many years ago, I heard my then 2nd or 3rd grader talking about 504's and IEPs. I had no idea what that was but he sure did. It was already part of his vocabulary in elementary school. I would guess that the "no mask" exception would be included in one of those special plans just like any other exception. The teachers handle 504s and IEPs all the time lots of the kids know what they are too, especially if they have one in place or have had a classmate with one in place.
AggiePhil
AG
What is a 504 and an IEP?
Jinx
AggiePhil said:

What is a 504 and an IEP?

Students with disabilities.
https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/special-services/504-plan/the-difference-between-ieps-and-504-plans
KidDoc
AG
BISD has a REALLY good plan, very impressive.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/21/bryan-isd-releases-return-to-learn-plan-during-board-of-trustees-meeting/?fbclid=IwAR3QZ2BJ8kzE09jfUi31VGuOAD1maw5EHaZ_mmEzUWTQqqSJH_KN4-cQb68

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nought
AG
About whether little ones need to wear masks, either for their own protection or for the teachers' protection, have you seen the several local news articles about the big outbreaks our day cares have experienced (they didn't close)?

You haven't? Of course you haven't, because such articles don't exist. Day cares have been open with lots of grubby little ones with terrible hygiene habits, no idea how to social distance, and no masks. The impact? It appears to be no different than most other things in town, like going to the grocery store.
cavscout96
AG
nought said:

About whether little ones need to wear masks, either for their own protection or for the teachers' protection, have you seen the several local news articles about the big outbreaks our day cares have experienced (they didn't close)?

You haven't? Of course you haven't, because such articles don't exist. Day cares have been open with lots of grubby little ones with terrible hygiene habits, no idea how to social distance, and no masks. The impact? It appears to be no different than most other things in town, like going to the grocery store.
Ratsa
While I'm not sure the masks are needed on kids under 10 at school, there is a big difference in the size of a daycare vs. an elementary school. Most daycares that I'm familiar with typically have around 100 kids, and probably significantly fewer kids currently, while elementary schools typically have somewhere from 500 - 700 students. There are simply a lot more adults and kids on an elementary campus, which makes it difficult to compare the two situations.
selk
AG
Shouldn't be wearing any mask
motherrunnersBCS
Err, yeah, unfortunately there are cases from childcare, in Texas.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/texas-coronavirus-cases-child-care-facilities/index.html
motherrunnersBCS
My kids will be wearing masks. They have to go to school, I am not well enough to homeschool them. I have never "recovered". They wear masks when we sit on the couch together and I do not eat with them but I do fix their food.

As long as they do not have fevers, they are going to school on the bus in the morning and I will pick them up in the afternoon if I am well enough.

Pretty sure you do not want my kids breathing on your kids. I do not want your kids breathing on mine.
Agmaker
that article is intentionally misleading. It does not state the causation. It just states that those that were infected either worked or attended a daycare.
I don't know why the local news has not reported on local day care centers that have had outbreaks, but we have had at least 2 occurrences in July that I know of personally. I'm sure that I don't know about all of them---just the ones that have impacted my friends/family.
nought
AG
motherrunnersBCS said:

Err, yeah, unfortunately there are cases from childcare, in Texas.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/06/health/texas-coronavirus-cases-child-care-facilities/index.html

It is always a good idea to look at the numbers.

The article cites 1,335 cases in 883 facilities out of a total of 12,220 child care facilities, so that means there is an average of roughly 1 infection per every 10 facilities. Of course since we know there were infections in only 883 facilities, that means there were infections at only 7.2% of all child care facilities. That's less than even I would have guessed. Oh, and we know that the average number of infections at a facility that had at least one infection is less than 2, because 1,335 over 883 is less than 2.

How many people (kiddos plus staff) are at each facility? Let's use a very conservative number and go with an average of 25 per facility. 12,220 times 25 is 305,500 people. 1,335 cases over 305,500 people is 0.4%. Again, I think that is a very conservative estimate. I am sure there are more than 305,500 children and staff at child care facilities across this state right now.

The current percentage of the Texas population who have ever tested positive for COVID-19 is 1.3%.

This tells me that if I walk into a random day care, which is full of kiddos with no masks, not much in the way of good hygiene habits at that young of an age, and not much in the way of social distancing, I'm at least 3 times less likely to encounter someone with COVID-19 than I am if I just go to the grocery store or some other public place.

But, it makes for great clicks to talk about a "surge" of COVID-19 cases at child care facilities.
cavscout96
AG
#micdrop
Oogway
Part of the difficulty is that the state is being restrictive on what data is released, referring to privacy laws. But the author of this article quotes health authorities saying that it would be beneficial if more info was released so that parents could make informed decisions. It is a tricky balance (privacy vs. public info with respect to health matters) but they ought to put their heads together and just get it done.

Here is something a little more local than CNN:

Quote:

"Definitely people need to be really cautious and thoughtful and careful. I also think there's a risk of overreacting and saying, 'Child care centers are the highest-risk location,' when actually, it's not a bar," said Emily Oster, a professor at Brown University, who conducted what she calls an "unscientific survey" of COVID-19 in 916 child care centers nationwide serving more than 20,000 children. She found that just over 1% of staff and 0.16% of children were confirmed to be infected.

Quote:

Public health and policy experts say they need more information to know whether the recent jump in cases means Texas child care centers pose an unacceptable risk for children and staff whether, for instance, people were infected inside the facility, or how concentrated the cases are.
"All we need is a few more numbers to put that into context," said Dina Tom, a pediatrician at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. "I don't know the answers, but I think the data is there."

The Texas health agency also doesn't keep data on the number of children in care or staff employed in child care centers, making it hard to know whether 555 infections in children and 1,140 in staff represent troubling numbers. Child care centers have the capacity on paper to take in more than 800,000 children, according to HHSC, but many are reporting much lower enrollment numbers than normal. If child care centers are at half capacity, the 555 Texas cases represent about 0.14% of children in centers, a bit lower than the rate Oster's survey showed.

"I worry a little bit that people ... see a number like 300 cases, and they have in their mind it's [among] 1,000 kids," Oster said, referring to the number of cases in children last week. "There are many things about that that are scary. But 300 cases on a base of 300,000 kids is a different thing."

Link to entire article: https://www.texastribune.org/2020/07/09/texas-day-care-coronavirus-risks/

Oogway
motherrunnersBCS said:

My kids will be wearing masks. They have to go to school, I am not well enough to homeschool them. I have never "recovered". They wear masks when we sit on the couch together and I do not eat with them but I do fix their food.

As long as they do not have fevers, they are going to school on the bus in the morning and I will pick them up in the afternoon if I am well enough.

Pretty sure you do not want my kids breathing on your kids. I do not want your kids breathing on mine.
I am sorry you are still suffering the effects. That has got to be difficult with taking care of your family.
AggiePhil
AG
So what date does CSISD start? I thought it was August 13 but then Martindale said August 19 in the last press conference.
JMac03
AG
Website still shows this.

Quote:

2020-2021 Important Dates
  • July 3 (Holiday)
  • August 10-12 (Staff Development)
  • August 13 (First Day of School)
  • September 7 (Holiday)
  • October 12 (Staff Development / Student Holiday)
  • November 23-27 (Holiday)
  • December 18 (Early-Release Day)
  • December 21-January 1 (Winter Break)
  • January 4 (Staff Comp Day / Student Holiday)
  • January 18 (Holiday)
  • February 15 (Staff Comp Day / Student Holiday)
  • March 15-19 (Spring Break)
  • April 2 (Holiday)
  • May 27 (Early-Release Day / Last Day of School)
  • May 28 (Staff Development / Student Holiday)
  • May 31 (Holiday)

AggiePhil
AG
Even the superintendent doesn't know. Jeez.
nthomas99
AG
AggiePhil said:

So what date does CSISD start? I thought it was August 13 but then Martindale said August 19 in the last press conference.

After watching the Brazos Health press conference on Friday, specifically called to address the potential delay of schools opening, I would put the chance of that August 13 date happening 50/50.
dogowner
People wanting to make "no masks" not only their hill to die on, but also forcing it onto their kids and trying to find a medical loophole.... Y I K E S
Ratsa
The way I understood Mr. Martindale's comment at the press conference was that they want in-person classes. Earlier in the summer, they moved the start date up by 3 school days, hoping to give a little flexibility in the calendar assuming things would flare up during the winter months. But if they are forced into online-only learning by Dr. Sullivan, then there is no need to have such an early start date.
toolshed
AG
So, who should be in charge/ responsible for their kids?

Please don't say government or unelected officials...
nthomas99
AG
Ratsa said:

The way I understood Mr. Martindale's comment at the press conference was that they want in-person classes. Earlier in the summer, they moved the start date up by 3 school days, hoping to give a little flexibility in the calendar assuming things would flare up during the winter months. But if they are forced into online-only learning by Dr. Sullivan, then there is no need to have such an early start date.

The press conference was weird, and I'm still at a loss to fully understand the dynamics clearly going on behind the scenes. Dr. Sullivan seemed taken off guard that it was his decision and not all comfortable with it.

Seeing as it was called on the same day Judge Hidalgo delayed Harris County schools meeting in person, my best guess is that mayors + maybe county judge would prefer them delayed / closed but they can't do that unless Sullivan signs off. Unfortunately, none of them want to stand front and center and take the heat for their decisions.

cavscout96
AG
nthomas99 said:

Ratsa said:

The press conference was weird, and I'm still at a loss to fully understand the dynamics clearly going on behind the scenes. Dr. Sullivan seemed taken off guard that it was his decision and not all comfortable with it.

Seeing as it was called on the same day Judge Hidalgo delayed Harris County schools meeting in person, my best guess is that mayors + maybe county judge would prefer them delayed / closed but they can't do that unless Sullivan signs off. Unfortunately, none of them want to stand front and center and take the heat for their decisions.

Color my shocked. More cowardice from our elected "leaders "
AggiePhil
AG
Looks like Martindale may have let it slip out in the press conference since it now appears that opening will be delayed.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.