Local bank recommendations

5,397 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 1.618
Ukraine Gas Expert
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy!

Looking to move from big bank and interested in some recommendations. I rarely if ever go into the bank itself, and have thought on online as an option, but not quite sold.

With that in mind, I'd love to hear some suggestions of consistent bakns here in the area, or online that have good service, online banking, and perks for loyal customers if possible.

Thanks in advance!
Bryanisbest
AG
First Financial
dallasiteinsa02
American Momentum. Great customer service and they personally care about each customer. It is clear that they believe in relationship banking.
Tailgate88
AG
We have been very happy with Prosperity for over a decade.
MiMi
S
Brazos Valley Schools Credit Union
txgardengirl
Another vote for First Financial
legalbird
Stick with Chase.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
City Bank (perks include good service, really nice smooth pens that last a long time, coffee, and good candy not just tootsie rolls) or Extraco, or Brenham National if you're trying to get away from the big box banks. Of course when the lobbies open back up Brenham has the Blue Bell onsite.
TheAlarmGuy
We have Been Pleased (Very Happy) With Commerce National Bank on WM D Fitch
Sponsor Message: Advanced Security Concepts | Reliable security by dependable people at an affordable price | david1@advancedsec.com | 979-690-8516 | State Lic B09523
gus1390
AG
Extraco Banks
threecatcorner
Brenham National bank is awesome. Very good fraud department. They only have one location in CS, but they cover ATM fees if you use a different one. Not positive about currently, but they have an ice cream case in the lobby so if you do go in, you can normally get a little Blue Bell ice cream. They don't charge you to talk to a teller like some banks do. They have online banking. Small bank with nice bankers.
TxSquarebody
Aggieland Credit Union. They have been good to me for years!
Sleepnumber
AG
American Momentum. The ONLY bank that is 100% locally, and Aggie, owned.
Ukraine Gas Expert
AG
Thanks everyone so far, giving me some good options to check out.
frito bandito
Another vote for Brenham National Bank.
GSS
First Financial instituted fees of various types, versus the previous operation.
Our small business/ranch acct was hit with a $5 "paper statement fee", which they refused to waive (regardless of balance). We did not agree....

They had a sign at the counter that anyone wanting to cash a check issued by a First Financial account holder would incur a fee! Give your grandkids, or the lawn guy, a check...and they can't cash it for free, at the bank it was drawn on??
NRA Life
TSRA Life
goatchze
AG
I third Brenham Nat'l Bank. We switched to them from Wells Fargo about 10 years ago and haven't looked back.

The service is outstanding. When you go in, they actually recognize you. Staff has always been extremely helpful.

Rewards Checking is nice. Pays a rate similar online savings like Ally (1% right now) on up to $25,000. Refunds ATM fees (both theirs and the ATMs), so you can use any ATM you want.

Everything you could want in a community bank.

happyinBCS
Brenham National they are wonderful and still pay 1% interest on checking
bigdog1
Agree with GSS about First Financial and new fees. I have voiced my displeasure. Will probably be looking for another bank in the short future.
milner79
Frost will be here soon!!
skeetboy3
AG
I would not go anywhere other than Brenham National. Over the past 12 years, their staff has been phenomenal with us--going way above and beyond what I expected. The Blue Bell is a nice added perk--they will often send it through the drive thru tubes. The ice cream also helps kids get interested in banking if you have little ones; my then 4 year old would want to go make a deposit if he found a quarter on the sidewalk.
goatchze
AG
threecatcorner said:

Brenham National bank is awesome. Very good fraud department. They only have one location in CS, but they cover ATM fees if you use a different one. Not positive about currently, but they have an ice cream case in the lobby so if you do go in, you can normally get a little Blue Bell ice cream. They don't charge you to talk to a teller like some banks do. They have online banking. Small bank with nice bankers.
My experience has been the same with this as well.

Years ago I was traveling for business. I spent the beginning of the week in Moscow and the end of the week in Portugal. I used my debit card in each place to pull out local currency. I had been traveling to Europe about once a month for several years at this point, so pulling out cash in foreign countries was a regular thing (BNB knew this). However, this particular schedule was very odd to go from one side of the continent to the other in a single business week.

I hadn't pulled out euros in Portugal for more than a few hours when I got a call from Barbie, the CS branch manager, checking in on me and whether the draws were legitimate. Unlike others where you get a robotic text, the personal touch of an actual phone call from someone I knew was nice and assuring. It was the only time my activity got "flagged" on all of my trips, so I wasn't constantly getting bothered by fraud alerts.

Similarly, a few years later, I made an advance payment on my mortgage. Wells Fargo had bought my mortgage, so the payment went to them. For whatever reason, I forgot to sign the check. This payment was made in person in Bryan, and Wells Fargo processed the check just like normal. A week or so later, I get a call from Barbie asking whether the check was authorized. They were actually comparing signatures on checks to what was on file and had caught that mine was unsigned.

I don't work at BNB, I don't have family there, I'm simply a customer. But I have really enjoyed the personal aspect of banking with them. With WF, I always felt like a number and someone to squeeze in every way possible.
Agmaker
First Financial (was TB&T) having significant changes, Fees, personnel. Who knows where that's all going.
samsal75
AG
Normangee State Bank
medic1969p
GSS said:

First Financial instituted fees of various types, versus the previous operation.
Our small business/ranch acct was hit with a $5 "paper statement fee", which they refused to waive (regardless of balance). We did not agree....

They had a sign at the counter that anyone wanting to cash a check issued by a First Financial account holder would incur a fee! Give your grandkids, or the lawn guy, a check...and they can't cash it for free, at the bank it was drawn on??

I agree. TB&T was a small town bank. First Financial went around and bought up all these small Banks. They have added fees to almost everything. My employees have to pay $5 if they want to cash their check at my bank. It seems they want to charge for every little thing now.

I'm looking for a small town bank as well.
skeetboy3
AG
goatchze said:

threecatcorner said:

My experience has been the same with this as well.

Years ago I was traveling for business. I spent the beginning of the week in Moscow and the end of the week in Portugal. I used my debit card in each place to pull out local currency. I had been traveling to Europe about once a month for several years at this point, so pulling out cash in foreign countries was a regular thing (BNB knew this). However, this particular schedule was very odd to go from one side of the continent to the other in a single business week.

I hadn't pulled out euros in Portugal for more than a few hours when I got a call from Barbie, the CS branch manager, checking in on me and whether the draws were legitimate. Unlike others where you get a robotic text, the personal touch of an actual phone call from someone I knew was nice and assuring. It was the only time my activity got "flagged" on all of my trips, so I wasn't constantly getting bothered by fraud alerts.

Similarly, a few years later, I made an advance payment on my mortgage. Wells Fargo had bought my mortgage, so the payment went to them. For whatever reason, I forgot to sign the check. This payment was made in person in Bryan, and Wells Fargo processed the check just like normal. A week or so later, I get a call from Barbie asking whether the check was authorized. They were actually comparing signatures on checks to what was on file and had caught that mine was unsigned.

I don't work at BNB, I don't have family there, I'm simply a customer. But I have really enjoyed the personal aspect of banking with them. With WF, I always felt like a number and someone to squeeze in every way possible.
Barbie is amazing.
Three Twenties and A Ten
AG
BBVA isn't small, but the local CS branch operates like a "local bank". Amos (Market President) has been great to work with and have had great interactions/help from all employees. Nice to have access to a bank with a lot of options and resources, that operates on a local level. Have been very impressed so far!
6-4-3
AG
csag97 said:

BBVA isn't small, but the local CS branch operates like a "local bank". Amos (Market President) has been great to work with and have had great interactions/help from all employees. Nice to have access to a bank with a lot of options and resources, that operates on a local level. Have been very impressed so far!

That is a very good branch.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I like Guaranty Bank & Trust. It is a Texas based bank.

https://www.gnty.com/
Cedar09
BB&T
Coach Dub
After the unpleasant experience of having a very large banking corporation purchase yet another of my mortgages and then proceeding to screw me with their horrendous customer service (costing me thousands), I am looking to refinance at a bank that will not sell my mortgage without my permission.

Any suggestions?

TIA

I can't think of anyone who would not bundle and sell your loan. I think your best bet is to find someone who would sell the loan but continue to service it? That way even if it is sold over and over, you'd e dealing with the same servicer.
CEAg78
AG
Highway_6 said:

csag97 said:

That is a very good branch.
We like the CS BBVA. Be aware that the whole thing is being acquired by PNC Financial.
Somebody has to lose. Might as well be t.u.
Post removed:
by user
Rearview
AG
Coach Dub said:

After the unpleasant experience of having a very large banking corporation purchase yet another of my mortgages and then proceeding to screw me with their horrendous customer service (costing me thousands), I am looking to refinance at a bank that will not sell my mortgage without my permission.

Any suggestions?

TIA

Last I knew, Brenham National Bank did not sell mortgages they took on, but they only financed for 10 years (though they'd do a 30 year amortization with a balloon payment at the end which you could refinance then).
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.