If they cancel the Aggie football season, how can we help local businesses?

5,663 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lost my dog
lost my dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The title says it all. Lots of sportswriters are very negative about the possibility of the college football season being played. The Aggies have already lost a game because the Pac 12 cancelled out of conference games. Several of the SEC states are hotspots. The SEC has delayed all sports until 8/31 already.

I hope the games are played. But hope is not a plan. What can we (government/community/people) do to mitigate the impact on BCS if the season is cancelled.

Thoughts?
The Brazos Kid
Spend as much as you can as often as you can with the restaurants and other outlets who see a rise in foot traffic on game days.

It's not up to out of towners this year. It's up to us.
cavscout96
AG
Nothing.

The disposable income and out of town revenue will dry up as folk tighten their belts.

People who rely on those expenditures will lose their livelihoods.

In turn THEY will not be spending either. Rinse. Repeat.

It will, crush this town if football is cancelled. .

Ask the local business the damage from losing parents weekend and two graduation weekends. Not to mention baseball and softball.

Now multiply that times about 50.
PS3D
Whether football is cancelled or not (attendance will certainly be depressed this fall, even if restrictions aren't in play), it just serves as a wake-up call to diversify the economy better to withstand potential downturns. Sadly, some of the biggest area "employers" that aren't linked to campus are call centers that pay chump change.
AgGunNut
AG
Some valid points here. This is (most likely WAYYY too late) the wake-up call that CS has to diversify and have industry aside from the university.
FlyRod
Good points. Business models dependent on football crowds and student $$$ will need to be re-evaluated, at least in the short term.
cavscout96
AG
FlyRod said:

Good points. Business models dependent on football crowds and student $$$ will need to be re-evaluated, at least in the short term.
Thanks for stopping by Captain Obvious.

that's, essentially, everything in town.

even those business that don't rely directly on those forms of income, rely on the people and business who DO earn their living from those revenue streams. No one is immune from the "cure" we've imposed for this disease.

OK, maybe producers Co-op, that's about the only one that comes to mind.
Charli
AgGunNut said:

Some valid points here. This is (most likely WAYYY too late) the wake-up call that CS has to diversify and have industry aside from the university.

Have asked for years why the Brazos Valley's Economic Development folks have not seriously courted a variety of companies with "adult" jobs that have the wages and benefits to reflect middle incomes and beyond that is independent of health care, retirement facilities, education and government.

Perhaps now, they will listen.
isitjustme
AG
Spend as much as you can at local businesses and buy less from Amazon or any other online retailer with no local facilities. This includes local businesses that are locally owned and a part of regional/national groups as all of their local employees are local and their franchisees are often local as well.

Hold off on starting a business that might compete with existing businesses as it will make it harder on everyone due to limited spending power. But do start a business that does not compete with already established businesses and that preferably has a good many customers from outside the area so that those people can send their spending to us.

Find ways to recruit events here (we're in the cancelling mode right now, unfortunately) so that we can bring people in to spend their money at our hotels, restaurants, stores, and other businesses.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
It would be helpful if there was a master list of companies, restaurants, and entities that are locally owned.

There are some big box entities that are doing quite well right now around town while the local establishments are taking on the chin.
cavscout96
AG
Charli said:

AgGunNut said:

Probably not
Have asked for years why the Brazos Valley's Economic Development folks have not seriously courted a variety of companies with "adult" jobs that have the wages and benefits to reflect middle incomes and beyond that is independent of health care, retirement facilities, education and government.

chrisfield
Sponsor
AG
I totally get what you're saying and don't disagree. But a lot of "chains" are owned and operated by local folks not to mention the ones who are not are filled from mgmt to dishwashers and everywhere in between with folks who are our neighbors. This whole deal just sucks and the cut of no football season would be crushing.
AggieBarstool
They're not canceling the football season.

Source: I work Aggie Football and we're gearing up for staffing.
jja79
AG
But there will be many fewer people in town spending money.
woodiewood1
chrisfield said:

I totally get what you're saying and don't disagree. But a lot of "chains" are owned and operated by local folks not to mention the ones who are not are filled from mgmt to dishwashers and everywhere in between with folks who are our neighbors. This whole deal just sucks and the cut of no football season would be crushing.
Correct. I support the local restaurants and other buisnesses three or four times a week but their area national named restaurants and other businesses that support the local community as much.

We have totally locally owned business, we have franchises that are locally owned and we also have national names that have local local part-owner managers. Many of the national restaurant chains are like that. Also, although Lowes, Home Depot, Wal-mart target, etc. etc. etc. are national companies, they employee hundreds and hundreds of local residents who can stay here and buy homes, go to the restaurants, pay sales tax and property taxes, and spend their money. We have had many small businesses shut down the last six months but many have opened and are not struggling. It's tough out there right now.
FlyRod
Quote:

They're not canceling the football season.

Source: I work Aggie Football and we're gearing up for staffing.

I honest feel bad for you for having posted this. I have ties to "Aggie Football" too, and you have no idea what's coming. Which is deeply sad.
cavscout96
AG
Well, when I walked by the practice field and heard players working out,. I'm pretty sure we're at least considering playing the game.

MTTANK
AG
A great way to help business would be to get out and vote. City council is busy talking about mandating more trees or shrubs at business locations for aesthetics. Meanwhile our economy and small business are being crushed. Are cities slashing budgets? Of course not, they are looking at ways they can make up for it by raising taxes. Vote pro business. Please. On another note, president Young has not been doing much to help things either. If we do have a football season, attendance will be way down. Labeling TAMU and this community as racist bigots over a hoax has many canceling donations and season tickets. Don't worry though, no consequence for the hoaxer and no apology from Young. Moral of the story is, hold our leadership more accountable and vote.
GIG 'EM
lost my dog
MTTANK said:

A great way to help business would be to get out and vote. City council is busy talking about mandating more trees or shrubs at business locations for aesthetics. Meanwhile our economy and small business are being crushed. Are cities slashing budgets? Of course not, they are looking at ways they can make up for it by raising taxes. Vote pro business. Please. On another note, president Young has not been doing much to help things either. If we do have a football season, attendance will be way down. Labeling TAMU and this community as racist bigots over a hoax has many canceling donations and season tickets. Don't worry though, no consequence for the hoaxer and no apology from Young. Moral of the story is, hold our leadership more accountable and vote.
So much to unpack here...

I agree that we should all get out and vote. More voting is good. However, for a long time our choices in local elections have been the real estate development/non-development groups. Neither of these will help out in the current situation.

As Charli points out above, we need to expand our economic base in our community beyond the university, the health services, retirement, and government. Building Castlegate 17 (to be ridiculous) is not a long-term economic growth strategy - it enriches developers, but does not provide long term jobs. No one seems to offer ideas on how to bring more high paying jobs to our community. The closest thing is Bryan giving land to the health sciences area with the goal of developing a bio-industry there. This is a very long term play.

"Are cities slashing budgets? Of course not..." Umm, check the Eagle or other news sources, the proposed College Station budget for 2021 is down 8.3% from the current year. You can argue they should cut more, but they are cutting.

Like him or hate him, Michael K. Young is not evaluated on the strength of the local economy. This is nothing new. A&M exists for a different purpose than local economic development.

That kid pulling the hoax on his car is as foolish as many 20 year olds, and since in these days whenever you apply for a job the hiring manager will google your name, he will regret it.

Perhaps the whole Sully situation is a devious plan to get 50% of the Old Ags to cancel their season tickets, so the Athletic Department doesn't have to make difficult choices on who gets to attend games this fall? Let's say the athletic department brings in $100 million this year instead of $200 million. Given the number of events they will be cancelling, I wonder if this will hurt?
cavscout96
AG
lost my dog said:

MTTANK said:

So much to unpack here...

I agree that we should all get out and vote. More voting is good. However, for a long time our choices in local elections have been the real estate development/non-development groups. Neither of these will help out in the current situation.

As Charli points out above, we need to expand our economic base in our community beyond the university, the health services, retirement, and government. Building Castlegate 17 (to be ridiculous) is not a long-term economic growth strategy - it enriches developers, but does not provide long term jobs. No one seems to offer ideas on how to bring more high paying jobs to our community. The closest thing is Bryan giving land to the health sciences area with the goal of developing a bio-industry there. This is a very long term play.

"Are cities slashing budgets? Of course not..." Umm, check the Eagle or other news sources, the proposed College Station budget for 2021 is down 8.3% from the current year. You can argue they should cut more, but they are cutting.

Like him or hate him, Michael K. Young is not evaluated on the strength of the local economy. This is nothing new. A&M exists for a different purpose than local economic development.

That kid pulling the hoax on his car is as foolish as many 20 year olds, and since in these days whenever you apply for a job the hiring manager will google your name, he will regret it.

Perhaps the whole Sully situation is a devious plan to get 50% of the Old Ags to cancel their season tickets, so the Athletic Department doesn't have to make difficult choices on who gets to attend games this fall? Let's say the athletic department brings in $100 million this year instead of $200 million. Given the number of events they will be cancelling, I wonder if this will hurt?

I tend to concur with a lot of this, but would point out that more voting is not automatically good.

Increased participation by an INFORMED electorate is likely to be beneficial. More votes, by people of whatever tribe, base on mass media and political sound bites, is not actually very helpful.
Ratsa
MTTANK said:

Labeling TAMU and this community as racist bigots over a hoax has many canceling donations and season tickets.
Young's Statement

I have seen this said about Young multiple times on Texags, and I don't even venture over to F16. Young's statement said, "We are tired of bigoted members of our community marring the experiences of students of color." That is not the same as labeling our entire community racist bigots. It is referring to a subset (hopefully very small) of our community that are racist bigots. And if you don't believe that there are at least some racist people in BCS, then I don't know what to say.
isitjustme
AG
Ratsa said:

MTTANK said:

Labeling TAMU and this community as racist bigots over a hoax has many canceling donations and season tickets.
Young's Statement

I have seen this said about Young multiple times on Texags, and I don't even venture over to F16. Young's statement said, "We are tired of bigoted members of our community marring the experiences of students of color." That is not the same as labeling our entire community racist bigots. It is referring to a subset (hopefully very small) of our community that are racist bigots. And if you don't believe that there are at least some racist people in BCS, then I don't know what to say.
Young was responding to a hoax with that statement. Once it was fully shown to be a hoax, he should have been just as quick to say something, anything, to address the fact that it was a hoax, that hoaxes will not be tolerated just as bigoted behavior will not be tolerated, and that hoaxers will be treated as harshly as those who practice bigoted behavior. But instead .. crickets!
cavscout96
AG
agrab86 said:

Ratsa said:

MTTANK said:

Young's Statement

Young was responding to a hoax with that statement. Once it was fully shown to be a hoax, he should have been just as quick to say something, anything, to address the fact that it was a hoax, that hoaxes will not be tolerated just as bigoted behavior will not be tolerated, and that hoaxers will be treated as harshly as those who practice bigoted behavior. But instead .. crickets!
He also tends to paint with a very broad brush, actually a roller, no...... a powered sprayer, when he labels "the community."
Ratsa
I agree he should have made a statement once it was determined the notes were a hoax. But that still doesn't mean he is calling everyone in BCS racist. It's fine to disagree with the actions of a person, but that doesn't mean it is ok to credit him with statements he never made.
isitjustme
AG
Look, it's as if he condoned the hoax. People, former and current students in particular, don't like the general tenor of bigoted, racist ags lurking to be mean to minorities, which was Young's insinuation. His lack of hoax condemnation reverberated loudly.
cavscout96
AG
agrab86 said:

Look, it's as if he condoned the hoax. People, former and current students in particular, don't like the general tenor of bigoted, racist ags lurking to be mean to minorities, which was Young's insinuation. His lack of hoax condemnation reverberated loudly.
yes, his silence speaks volumes...
W
AG
"diversifying the economy" is much, much, much easier said that done.

in fact it may simply not be possible
MTTANK
AG
I didn't say he called everyone in our community racist. He said we have a racist and bigoted community, and that he was tired of it -implying that the hoax was one of many occurrences. By calling our community and school these things, it implies that's the culture here. How many racist hate crimes have occurred on campus during his tenure, that were not a hoax? I'll save you the trouble of Sifting through the annual reports. IT'S ZERO!!! I have lived here for 20 years and am a former student and HAVE NEVER ONCE BEEN AROUND OR SEEN ANYONE DO ANYTHING REMOTELY RACIST! In fact, I believe aggieland is one of the most friendly and welcoming communities on the planet. Is it perfect, no. Has nothing racist ever happened here or anywhere on earth, no. But his statement was ridiculous and while you seem to support it, many don't and it will hurt our economy if we have a football season.
GIG 'EM
cavscout96
AG
W said:

"diversifying the economy" is much, much, much easier said that done.

in fact it may simply not be possible
1, Nothing is impossible.

2. It can be done, but it takes will power, participation, and refusal to let others continue their hegemony

3. It is likely to take a long-term, dedicated effort; which means it is hard, but not impossible. The ingredient most needed is also the most lacking IMO, stamina.
bcschamp365
Almost all of the reductions in College Station come from a utility fund transfer and capital project delays or cancellations.

There are negligible cuts in city departments. The headcount and payroll planned for 2021 vs. 2020 actually increases with the addition of over $1,000,000 tourism department payroll.

Also the 2020 planned budget was bloated and planned at 10% above 2019 at a full $13 million above 2019 for combined funds. Does anyone really think our population or city services will be at 2019 levels?

College Station Government just keeps growing and growing and borrowing and borrowing....plus the current city council spends most of the time during the budget workshop talking about bird habitat, bushes, and swimming pools.

There is an absence of executive city leadership and political oversight in College Station.

Embarrassing and sad.

isitjustme
AG
Conference only FB schedule:

https://theeagle.com/sports/sec-will-play-10-game-conference-only-schedule-beginning-sept-26/article_5e80fade-d2a1-11ea-8b16-b7707cc68e4e.html#tracking-source=home-breaking
Ratsa
This has gotten way off topic, and I'm not sure I can convey my thoughts about it in a way that will make sense to you. Aggieland is the most friendly and community-oriented place I have ever lived. But that doesn't mean that racist people don't exist here. By saying that, I'm not calling you or anyone else posting on this thread racist. I'm simply saying some racist people exist in Aggieland. And I believe that Young was calling out whoever those people may be, not the entire community. In this case, it was a hoax. In my opinion, Young should have come back with a statement later decrying the person for the hoax.

As for the OP and how to help local businesses survive, I'm doing my absolute best to not shop online anymore and only buy things in BCS.
W
AG
so the maximum number of home games is 5.

(down from the planned 7)
TommyBrady
AG
Diversifying the economy isn't easy in any sense, but our lack of economic development and using tax incentives and other options to attract companies is disappointing. I see a lot of communities make huge investments in luring companies to their area and I just don't see the same effort and drive here. College Station and Bryan need to have people in office who are driven to do more and really enact policies to do everything we can to bring jobs that can actually improve the community.
one MEEN Ag
AG
Charli said:

AgGunNut said:

They won't. They don't want a major player coming into town and calling the shots. They want their control, their super tight zoning, and to be top dog.

Diakin didn't even think about trying to move to college station. Waller is way more business friendly.

And also, for as 'cheap' as college station is, it really isn't. Every home is priced to cash flow 3-4 college kids. Not be single owner occupied by a manufacturing operator with a family.

As a side note, this isn't a College Station only thing. Waco had the same issues back in the 70s when a tire manufacturer wanted to set up shop outside the city. The Baylor admins and local roost of doctors/lawyers/politicians couldn't have some white trash money driving around with truck nuts in their town.

Waco eventually did get a ring of distribution/manufacturing.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.