Where can I get my LTC in B/CS?

5,982 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by histag10
johnnyblaze36
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I looked into Champions and they only have one class a week on Sundays and they are booked. Anybody know of a good alternative?
BQ_90
AG
I used these guys

https://integrityftc.com/

johnnyblaze36
AG
BQ_90 said:

I used these guys

https://integrityftc.com/

Dang they are booked through August 15th. Looks like a lot of people out there are trying to get licensed these days!

edit: Actually I was mistaken. Looks like you can register for online and take at your own pace at any time. Range qualification part booked until August 4th though.
BQ_90
AG
I think many LTC classes are that way now. Online then go to range for shooting test
dubi
AG
Gene Schiller
GSS
dubi said:

Gene Schiller
Gene is battling Parkinson's disease, but he and Bernice still are top-shelf people!
NRA Life
TSRA Life
txgardengirl
The Schiller's are amazing but booked through September last I checked because they max at 8 with social distancing requirements
dubi
AG
GSS said:

dubi said:

Gene Schiller
Gene is battling Parkinson's disease, but he and Bernice still are top-shelf people!

Gene did a private class for a friend and she was so impressed with his teaching style.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Thanks for the recommendations.

Is there any added benefit to taking the four hour class in person as opposed to online? I have shot guns plenty of times since I was a kid out on the ranch but would certainly still be considered a novice gun handler.

I'd obviously prefer to knock out the 4 hours online but just curious.
Muzzleblast
Hunter Guns and Ammo in Madisonville.

Jack Hunter.
Justified
I used Gene Schiller, but Burdett and Sons also offers the class.
taxpreparer
AG
My daughter and I used First Defender. 979-676-1949

Firstdefenderltc.co.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
dubi
AG
taxpreparer said:

My daughter and I used First Defender. 979-676-1949

Firstdefenderltc.co.

FIFY

https://firstdefenderltc.com/
taxpreparer
AG
Thanks, I suck at typing.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
CSMC2014
If you take an in-person class, you listen to the instructor talk for 4 hours & then take the written test. Then schedule a shooting qualification in which the instructor can only give you range commands & you pass or fail. Some people desire something more conducive to their schedule and would like input in their shooting technique. If you take the lecture on line you get to do so at your convenience and can break up the 4 hours at your convenience. Plus when you go to shoot & qualify, the instructor is mandated to give you 1.5-2 hours of "safe gun handling instruction", which allows the instructor to critique & help your shooting.
If you're interested in the on-line instruction just shoot me an email & I will give you my promo code to a great on line instructor that'll cost you $25. Then go to me or any instructor to shoot & qualify. I charge 25$ to qualify at CCC Shooting range or if you have a more convenient place for you. Or just go wherever you want, I offer the promo code to help people learn the law & get there LTC.
C lively tx at yahoo dot com
AggieBarstool
johnnyblaze36 said:

Thanks for the recommendations.

Is there any added benefit to taking the four hour class in person as opposed to online? I have shot guns plenty of times since I was a kid out on the ranch but would certainly still be considered a novice gun handler.

I'd obviously prefer to knock out the 4 hours online but just curious.
Yes. You can talk to and ask questions of someone who's had a permit to carry (the instructor) for decades and ask questions about real-life scenarios. You don't get that in an online class.

I got my LTC through Champion. If I had to do it again, I'd gladly wait until they had an opening.
johnnyblaze36
AG
CSMC2014 said:

If you take an in-person class, you listen to the instructor talk for 4 hours & then take the written test. Then schedule a shooting qualification in which the instructor can only give you range commands & you pass or fail. Some people desire something more conducive to their schedule and would like input in their shooting technique. If you take the lecture on line you get to do so at your convenience and can break up the 4 hours at your convenience. Plus when you go to shoot & qualify, the instructor is mandated to give you 1.5-2 hours of "safe gun handling instruction", which allows the instructor to critique & help your shooting.
If you're interested in the on-line instruction just shoot me an email & I will give you my promo code to a great on line instructor that'll cost you $25. Then go to me or any instructor to shoot & qualify. I charge 25$ to qualify at CCC Shooting range or if you have a more convenient place for you. Or just go wherever you want, I offer the promo code to help people learn the law & get there LTC.
Well shoot I actually just booked at Champions and forgot to check back on this thread and wish I had seen this. Thank you for the offer for assistance though.
JMac03
AG
GSS said:

dubi said:

Gene Schiller
I am sorry to hear this about Gene. He and his wife are awesome.
aggiepaintrain
AG
get a florida non resident, no class if you qualify based on some required docs.
Mainly Hunters Safety course

txyaloo
AG
aggiepaintrain said:

get a florida non resident, no class if you qualify based on some required docs.

That option is fine if you don't ever travel to a state that only accepts resident permits. Quite a few of those...

The Texas Legislature has also looked very closely at eliminating this option in the last few sessions. The Texas license is cheap enough now there is no reason to not get one.
histag10
AG
Also check circlestar in Anderson. Not sure how full they are though.

We ended up taking part in a private class a few weeks ago near Houston. Was worth it. It was put on by www.goheeled.com
WTM
Dan Martin is local and very flexible. You can put together a class for in person or do an online 4 hour classroom at your own pace and then a one hour range instruction with Dan plus the shooting test. Cost for the online / shooting in person option is $75.00

You can register here:

https://texascarryacademy.com/product/high-standard-tactical-complete-hybrid-ltc/

We are going to shoot this Saturday at 8am locally with Dan for the class and he still has some spots available if you wanted to do the four class this week.
aggiepaintrain
AG
txyaloo said:

aggiepaintrain said:

That option is fine if you don't ever travel to a state that only accepts resident permits. Quite a few of those...

The Texas Legislature has also looked very closely at eliminating this option in the last few sessions. The Texas license is cheap enough now there is no reason to not get one.

Not going to the range with Uncle Eddy is good enough reason for me
I am a beer
Circle Star Firearms in Anderson
JP76
aggiepaintrain said:

You are violating federal law if you carry within 1000 ft of any school when you choose to go this route unless you are in Florida
fcag
AG
This place just opened today...

https://savageoutdoordefense.com/
AggiePhil
AG
CSMC2014 said:

My neighbor just got his through you and had nothing but great things to say. Super easy and highly recommended! Arm the free world!!
AggieBarstool
aggiepaintrain said:

That might be legal, but is it worth the courtroom fight if you ever have to discharge your firearm?

Good luck explaining to a jury why you opted for a Florida permit (reciprocity and all) as a Texas resident. It looks BAD.

With the currently low bar to, and cost of, entry, there's no reason not to go for a Texas LTC.
EBrazosAg
AG
Having obtained my CHL back in January of 1996, 4 months after the original statute, and having carried illegally for 4 years prior after I got held up on way home from hospital, I agree with those who say just get the license. Not only does it protect you to a degree in Texas, it provides cover in other states you might not have otherwise. It's become appropriately reasonable to get a LTC in Texas.... way better than it began.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
skeetboy3
AG
dubi said:

Gene Schiller
Tangentially related:
Mr. Schiller was heavily involved in the 4-H Sportsmans Club (Trap and Skeet) even after his children aged out (one went to the Olympics, the other shot for the Air Force). He is without a doubt the best skeet coach I have ever seen. Amazingly patient with me when I was 9 (and 18) and also very practical. I use him as my FFL and love seeing him around town or when picking up a purchase. Truly a great man who did a whole lot for me beyond teaching me how to shoot but also how to be a man.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Does it seem odd to anybody else that I'm scheduled at Champions to take the shooting portion on a day before even taking the four hour class?

And they say show up prepared to know what you are doing handling the gun, loading, etc. I mentioned earlier that I've shot guns in my life plenty of times but am still a novice. I guess I need to go there a couple times before my appointment and practice a bit.
skeetboy3
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Does it seem odd to anybody else that I'm scheduled at Champions to take the shooting portion on a day before even taking the four hour class?

And they say show up prepared to know what you are doing handling the gun, loading, etc. I mentioned earlier that I've shot guns in my life plenty of times but am still a novice. I guess I need to go there a couple times before my appointment and practice a bit.
Not odd at all. During the test, they are not to give you any help beyond what the instructions are for each scenario. If you need any coaching, you have to get it beforehand--the class is more about laws, conflict deescalation, and the like. There is some gun safety, but you need to be proficient with a pistol ahead of time.
johnnyblaze36
Omega6464
johnnyblaze36 said:

No, it's not odd. If you aren't proficient before taking the shooting portion of the test you aren't ready for a LTC. I'd recommend a solid week - or even month - of shooting before you test. Consider engaging a shooting instructor. I don't want you to accidentally shoot someone, even in you or your families defense. Sure you fell the same.
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
Omega6464
johnnyblaze36 said:

No, it's not odd. If you aren't proficient before taking the shooting portion of the test you aren't ready for a LTC. I'd recommend a solid week - or even month - of shooting before you test. Consider engaging a shooting instructor. I don't want you to accidentally shoot someone, even in you or your families defense. Sure you fell the same.
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.