Where can I get my LTC in B/CS?

5,990 Views | 58 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by histag10
histag10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Does it seem odd to anybody else that I'm scheduled at Champions to take the shooting portion on a day before even taking the four hour class?

And they say show up prepared to know what you are doing handling the gun, loading, etc. I mentioned earlier that I've shot guns in my life plenty of times but am still a novice. I guess I need to go there a couple times before my appointment and practice a bit.

Not odd at all. An LTC course is so they can verify that you are qualified to carry. It is not a course designed to teach you how to carry or fire your weapon. You need to be proficient on your own prior to the course.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I went to Champions today and practiced with a SIG P365 that the employee recommended and I really liked it. In fact I'm looking to buy one tomorrow and go again and then again Thursday morning and again Thursday evening for my test.

I noticed Academy appears to be sold out of them. Does anybody know any other local places that may carry them? I just watched this video on them and this guy is a hoot:

skeetboy3
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

I went to Champions today and practiced with a SIG P365 that the employee recommended and I really liked it. In fact I'm looking to buy one tomorrow and go again and then again Thursday morning and again Thursday evening for my test.

I noticed Academy appears to be sold out of them. Does anybody know any other local places that may carry them? I just watched this video on them and this guy is a hoot:

I would check Burdett and Son. Barry is a good guy and will "shoot straight" with you. I know 9mm anything is flying off the shelves right now, so it may be a tough get.
skeetboy3
AG
For an extra 100, you could get one with no snag sights and a ported barrel https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/250201; or without a ported barrel https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/249778. You will find different views on ported barrels for carry due to increased muzzle flash at night vs. lower muzzle "jump." I use sportsmanoutdoor a lot and am always pleased. Ship to Schiller Arms, he charges ~$15 for the paperwork. You won't be able to get it tomorrow though.
BCStalk
Burdett should have a 365. They have had a couple different models every time I've been in. Definitely call and ask when they open up.
histag10
AG
Try Circle Star in Anderson. I just bought my Sig 938 from them. They are fairly priced, and usually have a decent selection or will order for you (though orders are taking quite a while these days everywhere)
histag10
AG
Also, 9mm ammo is crazy hard to find right now. We ended up buying online in bulk for a couple hundred dollars.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

As for the ammo, yeah, they would only sell me 10 bullets at Champions because he said they were so low. I asked if I wanted to use that loaner for my test which is 50 rounds how would that work and he said they keep a certain amount on reserve for testing.

Hopefully I can find what I'm looking for somewhere today.
skeetboy3
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

As for the ammo, yeah, they would only sell me 10 bullets at Champions because he said they were so low. I asked if I wanted to use that loaner for my test which is 50 rounds how would that work and he said they keep a certain amount on reserve for testing.

Hopefully I can find what I'm looking for somewhere today.
Wishing I had put my investment portfolio in 9mm. Weird times always bring either an ammo or firearm shortage and sometimes both. This one seems to have hit 9mm the hardest.
AggieBarstool
Nope. The shooting test is the part where students are most likely to fail. By doing it ahead of the classroom instruction, they allow ample opportunity for retakes. It also keeps a very bad shooter from sitting through a 4 hour lecture should they be under-qualified.
johnnyblaze36
AG
histag10 said:

Try Circle Star in Anderson. I just bought my Sig 938 from them. They are fairly priced, and usually have a decent selection or will order for you (though orders are taking quite a while these days everywhere)
Y'all weren't lying about ammo and certain models being hard to find. Called every place mentioned in this thread today and nobody had the Sig P365.

Called Burdett and Son first and they said they didn't have one. Then called Circle Star and they didn't have one but recommended the Hellcat and said it was very similar. Then I tried Academy and they didn't have it either and had ZERO 9mm ammunition.

So I ended up making the drive to Anderson and got set up nicely by Josh and Jason with a Springfield Hellcat and 150 rounds. Ready to try it out in the morning before tomorrow's test in the evening.

I believe it was Jason that said he's never heard of someone failing the shooting test. He probably jinxed me in the process. We'll see what happens.
BCStalk
I have both the 365 and the Hellcat. Definitely similar guns in terms of size. Sig has a little better trigger, but the Hellcat has better ergonomics for my hand.
histag10
AG
BCStalk said:

I have both the 365 and the Hellcat. Definitely similar guns in terms of size. Sig has a little better trigger, but the Hellcat has better ergonomics for my hand.

And if you need a new trigger, take it out to circle star. They put a flat trigger on my husbands Sig P229 with a skeleton frame, and it makes all the difference. Really good prices, and really good work. We love them out there!
Rockdoc
AG
You won't have any trouble with the shooting portion. Just have fun.
AggieBarstool
johnnyblaze36 said:

histag10 said:

I believe it was Jason that said he's never heard of someone failing the shooting test. He probably jinxed me in the process. We'll see what happens.
You have to be extraordinarily bad at shooting to fail the test. Check out the Youtube videos Champion has.
BCStalk
Very true. My wife messed up on a couple of stages and didn't fire about 5 rounds total and still passed.
BQ_90
AG
BCStalk said:

Very true. My wife messed up on a couple of stages and didn't fire about 5 rounds total and still passed.
lady in my group hit somebody elses target and still passed
histag10
AG
BQ_90 said:

BCStalk said:

Had someone mine miss the paper several times (and hit paper/not target a few) and still passed with a few extra points.

Im not a super great shot (im getting there), and i passed with 30 or 40 extra points.
BQ_90
AG
histag10 said:

BQ_90 said:

BCStalk said:

Had someone mine miss the paper several times (and hit paper/not target a few) and still passed with a few extra points.

Im not a super great shot (im getting there), and i passed with 30 or 40 extra points.
to not pass you have to either be partially blind or completely inept with a firearm.
Nealthedestroyer
AG
BQ_90 said:

histag10 said:

BQ_90 said:

BCStalk said:

to not pass you have to either be partially blind or completely inept with a firearm.

The LTC class isn't to test marksmanship, it's to educate you on what will happen if you draw and shoot someone. Everyone who receives a LTC will be held to a higher standard in the eyes of the court. Act accordingly.

Those that do take the class should feel compelled to take a training course from a qualified quality instructor. There are a few in this area, like KR Training.
Vae Victis
histag10
AG
BQ_90 said:

histag10 said:

BQ_90 said:

BCStalk said:

Pretty much. The instructor for mine said he has never had someone not pass.
johnnyblaze36
AG
histag10 said:

Also, 9mm ammo is crazy hard to find right now. We ended up buying online in bulk for a couple hundred dollars.
What website did you order from?
histag10
AG
We use www.ammoseek.com to compare prices and find places that have it. I think we ended up ordering from 2A Warehouse.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Thanks. I checked out 2A Warehouse and even they have zero 9mm ammunition in stock. This is crazy.
histag10
AG
It looks like bass pro might have 500 rounds for 120 of brass cased. Its the cheapest on ammoseek right now and likely wont last long.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.