Suddenlink internet and TV without the Altice modem/router? Is this possible?

4,916 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by nwspmp
Uncle Bug
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If anyone in Aggieland has Suddenlink internet and TV WITHOUT Altice/rented modem/routers, please help!

I'm looking forward to moving to B/CS, but not excited about the SuddenLink monopoly (I've been reading the forum regarding interruptions and poor service). Since I'm shopping for 1Gig and basic TV, I guess I'll have to climb aboard the pain train.

I sure would like to set up a mesh on the property using DOCSIS 3.1 equipment while having BASIC (cable) TV.

However, it looks like I am forced to use the Altice "Gateway" (modem+router) and have to rent additional Altice One Minis for each TV ($10/mo). I guess we can't just use little cable boxes in the other rooms?

If INTERNET only, you have the option to use your own modem+router, BUT the following pops up on the SL site:

For the best performance you must have a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and a router capable of delivering an 802.11AC connection. Certified modems are listed below. Using a different modem may impact performance.

• Arris SB6190
  • Arris SB6183
  • Netgear CM600

DOCSIS 3.0 for a 1 Gig package.... (?) I do not think 3.0 equipment can carry 1 gig...

Has anyone tried their own DOCSIS 3.1 equipment?

If so, does that mean I'm out of luck for basic cable TV (and have to go back to DirecTV)?

Thanks for any insight - I'm looking forward to being your neighbor even if I have to use rabbit ear TV and rotary phone!

BCStalk
If possible, see if Brazos WiFi is available in the area you are moving to. I had been a Suddenlink customer for 15 years and finally dropped them earlier this year. I no longer have any internet other than my cell phone and IPad. They have absolutely no loyalty, horrible service, even worse customer service. If you can get Brazos WiFi and satellite, you will be happier in the long run.
Uncle Bug
AG
I'm glad to see some competition! Unfortunately, it appears I will not be in their coverage area...
txgardengirl
We have suddenlink with our own modem and an orbi mesh system. The modem we had assigned/rented froM SL maxed at 200 and we were paying for 400 -grrrr- But it's all much better now. Not sure I would go with orbi again because every time SL has a hiccup it has to be rebooted
Koko Chingo
AG
I have Suddenlink. I use my own modem and have my own mesh. i do not subscribe to basic cable. I have been told that you can buy a digital cable box to get basic channels -- I have not tried it. I believe you can pay for cable too.

I have been using a DOCSIS 3.1 modem for a long time without any issues (Motorola MB8600).

I believe the website is referring to either minimum or recommended minimum requirements.

I have had the same plan for a long time - before altice. I am curious if things have changed. Keep us updated.
Three Seasons
AG
Have Suddenlink 200Mbps service...

Just setup (today) the Arris SBG8300 Wifi Cable Modem. Have nine devices running now on (4) wired and (4) WiFi connections and we are having no issues. I had to be wired-in to get the 200Mbps speeds. Now, I am getting 200Mbps (+) speed on all connected devices - including WiFi.

We are working from home... most times Zooming on (3) laptops or streaming Netflix, etc. and were taxing our old router's capabilities.

Happy with the SBG8300 running DOCSIS3.1 (talking down to 3.0) on Suddenlink.

The Arris SBG8300 is not on the Suddenlink "list" ...but because its "DOCSIS3.1" its working like a dream.
Bunk Moreland
Ordered the same one the other day. I'm done with the suddenlink rental. It worked fine for a few years but now the wifi devices are not running as fast as they promote they should be.
txag1876
AG
Just curious if anyone ever found an answer to the original question? I'm running into the same issue.
nwspmp
txag1876 said:

Just curious if anyone ever found an answer to the original question? I'm running into the same issue.
Officially, DOCSIS 3.0 does support gigabit, though most of the modems I've seen in DOCSIS 3.0 at 32 channels are Intel Puma chip based. I personally had a horrible time with more than one of those.

The CM600 was very stable in many ways for me and supposedly supports up to 960Mbit, which is close, but that's reliant on perfect cable modem channels and such.

I run a DOCSIS 3.1 modem on Suddenlink and it works just fine, and by that, I mean at the level of expectation I have of Suddenlink Service at this point. It's the Arris SB8200 which is a Broadcom-based 32x8 modem.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.