Suggestions on finding unusual box size locally?

1,237 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by legalbird
MisterShipWreck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I sold several framed items - and I can never find boxes to ship these kinda things locally.

I have to ship 3 shadowboxes - 19"x24" by 3 inch deep. All I can ever find are TALL boxes, and they hit ya for more shipping that way.

Any suggestions?

birdman
Just buy the large boxes. Then cut them down to the size you need. Fedex just takes the three dimensions of what you are shipping. The weight and size of box is what they charge you.
ibdm98
AG
Have you tried ecobox?
MisterShipWreck
ibdm98 said:

Have you tried ecobox?
No. Where is that at?
Tim Weaver
Call photographers or frame shops that do their own framing. We get tons of frame boxes all the time because our frame supplier is in Dallas. Unfortunately the quarantine means we haven't been doing a lot of framing business lately. Or any business for that matter.......
halibut sinclair
MisterShipWreck said:

ibdm98 said:

Have you tried ecobox?
No. Where is that at?
On Briargate in Bryan:

http://www.ecobox.com/Shipping-Supplies/Artwork-Boxes
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- We use to use a lot of side loader boxes 30 x 5 x 24 for mainly Christmas Light storage

( Pro Tip: SideLoader Boxes are WAY better than almost any other means to store Christmas lights; the lights won't get tangled)

https://www.uline.com/BL_413/Large-Side-Loaders

S-4553
is what you might want to buy 25 boxes of and have them on your doorstep by like tomorrow. ( If someone local doesn't have what you need. But these are $2.23 each from Uline + Includes ample Product Catalogs for life basically )

P.S. Boxes can also be stacked and taped for not much extra shipping ( Up to 4 ; then FedEx gets mad). These boxes also fit under a nice pricing tier, due to the dimensions usually $18 to $24 to ship anywhere in the USA. (additional boxes taped together sometimes adds nothing/ not much to shipping).

- Also, I've found IRL the verticalness of the boxes helps prevent damage; thin boxes get stacked on top, not on the bottom in transit like regular 'box shaped' boxes. These are easy to slide on shelves in Fedex vans.

www.ecozapphvac.com
- check out our Air Purifiers for 2020 -

MisterShipWreck
Thanks for the info guys. I will look into the above ideas.

Cutting down boxes never works for me - the "new" folds always come out terrible, and it looks like the box is crushed by the time I am done.
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
I'm not sure if I've ever gotten one of those Blue Stars on here before.. does my in-depth knowledge of how to efficiently obtain & ship this exact specific dimension of cardboard boxes deserve one?

Only thing I think I could add to it, would be splurge for the tape gun with the padded handle + Silent Tape Rolls (my office staff was very glad for the 'Silent' Tape Rolls)

Also, Big Bright Yellow Stickers on a 4x6" sticker roll. Slap some Yellow Stickers on Boxes being shipped and they get damaged wayy less often in my experiece.
www.ecozapphvac.com
- check out our Air Purifiers for 2020 -

MisterShipWreck
halibut sinclair said:

MisterShipWreck said:

ibdm98 said:

Have you tried ecobox?
No. Where is that at?
On Briargate in Bryan:

Thanks. It figures the one I need is not available in college station - only Austin. 2 boxes and shipping is like $41. Wow.
halibut sinclair
MisterShipWreck said:

halibut sinclair said:

MisterShipWreck said:

ibdm98 said:

Have you tried ecobox?
No. Where is that at?
On Briargate in Bryan:

Thanks. It figures the one I need is not available in college station - only Austin. 2 boxes and shipping is like $41. Wow.

Maybe the Bryan office could order them for you?
MisterShipWreck
It is in big bold letters that it is only available in Austin and NOT College Station or San Antonio. I guess I will have to go with U Line. Thanks.

Even that is still like $40 shipped for 10. Only need a few, but that is my only choice.

Grangier is a lot cheaper, but they want $23 to ship 3, and it comes out to the same price as 10 from U Line.
MisterShipWreck
Thanks again, Ecozap. I took your suggestion and ordered from Uline!
legalbird
Shipwreck

To cut down a box, two different methods.

A) Score the OUTSIDE of the box where you want it to bend. With a little practice it will work just fine

or
B) Cut the box all the way around to the height you need. The fit the top (that you just cut off) over the lower portion. You will have to do a little pushing, but it will work.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.