Fireworks EVERYWHERE!

6,651 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by 91_Aggie
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Quote:

On a related note, WHY are some dogs so afraid of fireworks?
From a veterinary behaviorist: https://www.dvm360.com/view/canine-noise-aversion-sound-and-worry

• Lack of habituation-the dog encounters a novel, startling sound and fails to learn that it has no consequence or meaning, continuing to show fear instead.

• Stress-induced dishabituation-the dog experienced a stressful event and was therefore at a higher level of stress at the same moment of the environmental sound and was unable to cope with the noise as it previously had, resulting in a fear response.

• Sensitization-a noise bothers the dog more and more over time, causing it to be more sensitive to it rather than learning to ignore it.

• Social transmission-the dog learned to fear a noise from another dog in the household.
TLIAC
AG
Omega6464 said:

It'll take a whole lot more than illegal fireworks for me zoo "hate" the day my country was born.
I said almost. I'll add in that my father died on July 4th so, yeah, it's not my favorite day of the year.
frito bandito
I don't get the tolerance for illegal fireworks in the city. We had three separate groups of folks in our Southwood Valley shooting big fireworks. One group of young men was putting on a show six houses down. Big shells going off at tree and roof top level. CSPD paid them a visit around 9:00 pm. That only slowed them down, because they continued to shoot off aerials until midnight, although sporadically.

If you have to shoot off big fireworks, find a country friend, and celebrate there. We did that a time or two with our kids.

It is amazing that there weren't more fires.

91_Aggie
AG
I would wish people would follow the law.
I imagine for this july 4th, the extreme usage of them a result of Covid shutdown and the other issues, that the police just said "we'll allow it for one night".

But yeah the major fireworks being shot in city limits/subdivisions was a huge increase of past July 4ths.

Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.