If there is no football....

3,687 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by lunchbox
Post removed:
by user
trouble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It would be devastating.
Post removed:
by user
isitjustme
AG
Slocum on a mobile said:

What will the financial impact on the community be? That's a lot of tax dollars that don't materialize, lots of hotel rooms, lots of folks eating out...
The economic impacts would be extremely devastating to any community like BCS, and there are a lot of them around the U.S. (Los Angeles is not one of them)

I personally am very po'd at certain college athletes both here and elsewhere (for non-covid reasons, of course), mad enough that I've said I may not pay much attention in the fall. But losing football would be very difficult for a lot of local businesses, and that the main reason I haven't said to scrap the fall season altogether. Plus, football revenue funds so many of the other sports that no football=no other sports, and that would just prolong the pain.
LOYAL AG
AG
The local restaurants I work with will tell you that football isn't what it used to be which I suppose is a mixed blessing. However the northgate bar owners I know will tell you that football is an important stretch for them and that wins are more lucrative than losses. Of course the local hotels will be devastated. Along with the RV parks, AirBNB owners, etc.

FlyRod
COVID is going to impose some very dramatic changes to traditional local business models. And that is a severe understatement.
texasaggie04
AG
If there is no football, NCAA needs to consider just moving football to the spring instead. Problem solved.
Gap
AG
Why it be any different in the Spring. Covid is here to stay in this world. Once you move it to Spring, the same forces start to work on a Spring cancellation.
texasaggie04
AG
Gap said:

Why it be any different in the Spring. Covid is here to stay in this world. Once you move it to Spring, the same forces start to work on a Spring cancellation.

It's here to stay but it's about numbers. Ours are still going up. Others aren't. London had one new case yesterday. London.

Hopefully if nothing else, this changes the culture a bit so people feel comfortable wearing a mask when they're sick with flu or common cold. I don't know why there seems to be a stigma around that, I guess folks feel obligated to tough it out and go to work and to hell with the rest of us who don't want their germs.
isitjustme
AG
Spring won't be any different. Cases will be spiking again from November to February due to the need to be inside more, holiday family gatherings, and the lapse in self-protective behavior that comes with disease fatigue. It's all human nature that no mandates or other policies can change.

Before it all gets back to normal regarding covid - no fear of large batches of new cases is what I mean - most of us are going to need to catch it and get through it, or they'll need to develop a vaccine with high efficacy like mmr and dpt, not like the seasonal flu vaccine. I predict 1.5-2 years from now. In the meantime, we can either move on with normal activities, i.e. Football games in the fall or whatever and accept the interim consequences, or continue to crunch the economy and businesses with self-inflicted harm caused by fear.
FlyRod
I'd worry more about the diminished lung function (and thus affected careers) of any infected athletes who become "long-termers."
isitjustme
AG
FlyRod said:

I'd worry more about the diminished lung function (and thus affected careers) of any infected athletes who become "long-termers."
And this is why we have decisions to make. People have different views on what's more important and that's perfectly fine. While I'm not sure we know yet what kind of long term impacts covid will have on lung capacity, it's ok if some are more concerned with that than other things.

Just as we've seen recently, no matter how we proceed on this, many people will think the path we're taking is bogus and the (loud) discussion will not end.
Flatlander
Losing a football season would indeed have a devastating effect on the local economy. But not near the impact of what will happen if this Covid situation leads to major universities adopting a mostly remote-learning model long-term. That would turn CS into a true modern day ghost town.

I don't think A&M would actually move in that direction at this point, but it's a possibility that worries me.
FlyRod
Less pessimistic about the remote long term thing. Lots of smart folks here...they'll figure out safe(er) ways to do things. I don't think we're quite there at this moment. Others obviously feel we are.
Belton Ag
AG
FlyRod said:

You say this a lot. I mean, a lot.

Even if it's something that's worth worrying about (it's not at this point), an athlete will not have an athletic career in their future with remote learning and no college sports.
TellMeMore
While loss of football is a crushing blow, how many businesses won't make it til the end of the year regardless. Sales tax revenue will tank in College Station, and just exactly what do you do with a shuttered hotel. Cause there will be a few of them as well.
isitjustme
AG
TellMeMore said:

While loss of football is a crushing blow, how many businesses won't make it til the end of the year regardless. Sales tax revenue will tank in College Station, and just exactly what do you do with a shuttered hotel. Cause there will be a few of them as well.
True. Maybe time for an even larger effort to recruit white collar businesses from high tax states. They can convert large empty buildings to office space or a mix, hire people who need jobs and get folks to relocate here, and provide additional reasons for others to visit here on business. This will, of course, help the restaurants, stores, hotels, and service providers that are able to hang on.

While we're at it, we might consider not putting many public funds into new development in the form of tax breaks or grants. They're great when used appropriately and at the right time, but now might not be the right time. I'm all for private sector doing it all on their own if they think they can make a profit, though. So govt needs to stay out of their way in the process.
oklaunion
TellMeMore said:

Whether a hotel or out-of-business apartment complex, I have expected the city of CS to turn one or more into a HUD project. Probably one on the outskirts of the city to get it out of close proximity to the campus.
W
AG
question...how much of an impact would the cancellation of the high school football seasons have?

on the local economy and the local ISD's

seems like each school in BCS plays 5 or 6 home games
Smeghead4761
One impact nobody has mentioned is what happens to all the other sports if there's no football. Football, and maybe basketball, generates almost all of the revenue for the athletic department.

Without that revenue, the athletic department either has go get a lot of money from boosters, or start cutting programs that aren't self-funding. (And getting money from boosters will be more challenging, because, aside from boosters that have a focused interest in a specific sport, football tends to be the thing that attracts the boosters.)

Even if football is played in the fall, if stadium capacity is limited, revenue is going to take a big hit. That's both the athletic department, and the local economy and tax revenues.

Playing in the spring would be a full admission of what everyone already knows - they're doing it for the money. And it would be a 'Lite' version, since a lot of draft eligible players (think Trevor Lawrence from Clemson) would opt out of playing
isitjustme
AG
Langenator said:

One impact nobody has mentioned is what happens to all the other sports if there's no football. Football, and maybe basketball, generates almost all of the revenue for the athletic department.

Without that revenue, the athletic department either has go get a lot of money from boosters, or start cutting programs that aren't self-funding. (And getting money from boosters will be more challenging, because, aside from boosters that have a focused interest in a specific sport, football tends to be the thing that attracts the boosters.)

Even if football is played in the fall, if stadium capacity is limited, revenue is going to take a big hit. That's both the athletic department, and the local economy and tax revenues.

Playing in the spring would be a full admission of what everyone already knows - they're doing it for the money. And it would be a 'Lite' version, since a lot of draft eligible players (think Trevor Lawrence from Clemson) would opt out of playing
Mentioned in 4th post of thread.
TellMeMore
First, no travel cost both varsity and JV saves money. HS football has vertually no impact. Only hurts the players chances for scholarships.
FlyRod
Businesses will have to reevaluate their business models. Bored alums will have to find other distractions. This isn't even remotely the end of the world. It's a huge disruption to be sure. We'll move on.
Gap
AG
TellMeMore said:

First, no travel cost both varsity and JV saves money. HS football has vertually no impact. Only hurts the players chances for scholarships.
It certainly impacts the experiences one needs as they grow into adulthood.
lunchbox
Slocum on a mobile said:

What will the financial impact on the community be? That's a lot of tax dollars that don't materialize, lots of hotel rooms, lots of folks eating out...

If they play with no fans you are still going to have the same issue. People aren't going to come and fill up the hotels and restaurants if they can't get in. I think the B/CS economy is going to take a beating even if they let in 25% capacity.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.