The TAMU RIF tsunami is upon us...

38,390 Views | 120 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by BluHorseShu
doubledog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
lost my dog said:

cavscout96 said:

Seriously though, if you increase one budget line item without ba corresponding increase, or worse, a decrease, in revenue, you must find that money somewhere else in the budget.

Not all flavors of money are the same. Scholarship money is not the same as salary and benefits money. Ask any business office person

But I did like Alan Sams. I don't think this would have happened with him at the helm
This is true, the scholarship money is not in the same budget as salary. It is the "indirect" comment that holds.

Finding 100M for diversity scholarship in one meeting and then cutting merit raises in another, indirectly sends a signal to all faculty and staff is not a good "look" for the BOR.

Most of the faculty and staff support diversity and will welcome more scholarship money especially if it is merit based.
double b
AG
The bulk of the scholarship dollars come from tuition increases.

Each student is charged a state and institution fee, which a portion of each is set aside for both state and institution need-based funding. When I worked for TAMU, this fee was approximately 25% and 15%, respectively.

I'm sure the bulk of this diversity scholarship fund will come from the next set of tuition increases.
cavscout96
AG
Totally get the whole color/flavor of money line of thought, but the overall money chest is not bottomless. Additional green money has to be raised (tuition increase, donation, etc.) Or reallocated from blue/purple/red.

I've played the "color if money" game before in DoD.
Cholula Verde
AG
"But I did like Alan Sams. I don't think this would have happened with him at the helm".
Three Seasons
AG
The state-wide stakeholders have spoken…

Share your "did you know" stories

Like:

Did you know… that Stover and Gill pissed-off so many (high-level) stakeholders that Sharp was receiving (multiple) daily emails detailing Stover and Gill's mismanagement?

Did you know… that Gill's administration days are over? I know… easy prediction there. At least she won't be at risk of losing her paycheck or insurance - unlike those she ousted.

But will she get along with the new administration???
(Claire should start praying now)

Did you know… that the internal search is being conducted? I wonder who that internal* person could be?

*This could be one of Sharp's best power play moves - ever.
Muzzleblast
A&M can and should cut out tons of dead wood.

Sincerely,
A Taxpayer
Stupe
S
What dead wood should they cut?

Specifically.

Muzzleblast or anyone that stars the post can answer that question.

I'm always in favor of cutting waste programs in order to fund good programs. However, there are always posts that make statements like that without every backing them up with....anything.
cavscout96
AG
I'd start with anyone associated with the "Flourish" program.

I have several good friends employed on campus and when they showed me some of the stuff out of that program my reaction was YGTBFKM..... what a load of[Edit]

[Bypassing word filters in an automatic ban. -Staff]
woodiewood1
Three Seasons said:

We have entered the new budget 60-day window where the reductions in force are happening. If A&M doesn't find funding from somewhere, non-tenured teaching faculty, staff, programs, and even courses are now at risk. Every department is going through a program justification review to let those know at the university level how devastating the cuts could be to the individual departments. This is happening system-wide.

Imagine a student needing a course for graduation - only to find out that the needed course can't be offered because that non-tenured faculty is no longer with the university and all tenured faculty are plus one or two over their full time teaching load. Now imagine colleges that make most of their program offerings off of these non-tenured faculty, professor of practice positions. These positions go away, then the supporting staff goes with them... for us, it will (potentially) be a 60% reduction in household income which is devastating, but not as devastating as losing all of our medical insurance. We have about a 6-month savings buffer - but after that?

The A&M system is not the only one hurting... UTSA just announced major cutbacks and I was down at Rice a couple of weeks ago and it looks like they have scaled back on things there as well - even the lawn care at Rice looked atrocious.

Get ready to hang on! Things are about to get tighter...

"Every department is going through a program justification review" --- Every program every few years should have to justify every program and even every course.

"Imagine a student needing a course for graduation - only to find out that the needed course can't be offered because that non-tenured faculty is no longer with the university and all tenured faculty are plus one or two over their full time teaching load" ---- That is nothing new. That happened to me a few decades ago and we replaced it with another course.

Industry and private small business has had regularly had to trim down investments in facilities and personnel at times due to the economic environment. Universities and other state agencies should also. From 1973 to 1998 A&M went through three RIF in many programs and the elimination of programs and all survived. Often it was a way to get arid of the dead weight that was needed to be done away with.
spike427
AG
I felt like I was in an alternate universe reading those staff bios. Really? Those words are actually published on a TAMU official site? Who is minding the store?
Stupe
S
Isn't that now called Living Well and is the employee wellness program at TAMU?
AggieBarstool
Stupe said:

Yep.

And what gets me is groups like this, HROE, and others focus on the Texas A&M community... that live in BCS. What about the folks "on the fringe" that are part of the Aggie family? Too bad; sucks to suck?
Stupe
S
Who are the folks "on the fringe"? Can't every employee of the TAMU system take advantage of an employee wellness program?

I'm seriously asking because I don't know who you are talking about.
denied
Non-full time employees and the third party types maybe. It used to be food services, grounds, maintenance were all University employees. Now they are just third party employees.
woodiewood1
AggieBarstool said:

Stupe said:

Yep.

And what gets me is groups like this, HROE, and others focus on the Texas A&M community... that live in BCS. What about the folks "on the fringe" that are part of the Aggie family? Too bad; sucks to suck?
I suspect the employee wellness program and other A&M programs focus on the A&M community as that is their goal. There may be other programs in town that the "fringe". whoever they are, should be able to access but I would think that an employee program should be for the employees?
BluHorseShu
AG
spike427 said:

I felt like I was in an alternate universe reading those staff bios. Really? Those words are actually published on a TAMU official site? Who is minding the store?
Had to chuckle a little on the Flourish Program site and some of the content. But hey, if they are getting a return on the investment of paying those salaries, then I'm good with it. I think employee support is critical for recruiting and retention. I'm sure they've looked at all the employee support related depts/services on campus to see if any could be combined or discarded for more relevant services. What's really interesting is the wide range of requirements to be a Dean in a college. Some require terminal degrees, while others employee only masters degrees with much less experience.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.