Hat tip to CSISD admin

3,201 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Tailgate88
LOYAL AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The district has caught a lot of flack this semester and some of it was well deserved but they deserve a tip of the cap for the work they've put in to make sure the seniors got a graduation. I know CSISD isn't the only district in Texas to hold a graduation but I also know a lot of them didn't. My daughter is on STUCO at CSHS and the admin included them in the planning process and made sure their input was taken seriously.

Given the circumstances it would have been easy to claim we couldn't do it safely but instead they chose to make sure a group of kids who had a big portion of their senior year cancelled at least got to experience graduation.
MiMi
S
Agreed. My daughter is graduating in a few hours and is looking forward to walking across the stage to receive her diploma.
BMo
Took pics of the TV as my grandson walked the stage. It is good they pulled this off.
scd88
AG
I'm happy for these kids and parents. Where is/was graduation held?
MiMi
S
High school football stadiums
scd88
AG
Thanks. I remember hearing about that; just didn't know if it came to fruition. Old school stuff - I like it!!
MiMi
S
https://www.kbtx.com/2020/06/28/college-station-high-school-holds-graduation-ceremony-saturday-night/
chickiepoo
AG
Our son graduated last night and the ceremony was great considering the circumstances. Thanks for live streaming the event for family and friends who couldn't be in attendance. I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to have the ceremony at Reed Arena (when there isn't a pandemic) but there is something to be said for having that final ceremony on the students' home turf.
befitter
Spot on OP!! My son graduated last night and we appreciated the time and effort CSISD put into this.
Scoopen Skwert
AG
Save the money renting Reed and keep it on campus with the fireworks.

I Can enjoy them now.
Tailgate88
AG
We watched the livestream and they really did a great job. Kudos to the administration for their handling of the Covid madness. We've never been through anything like this before and hopefully never again. Thankfully the district seems like they want to have school be as normal as possible next year! But I agree with the poster above - maybe we should keep doing graduation at the stadium?
theNetSmith
AG
Tailgate88 said:

Thankfully the district seems like they want to have school be as normal as possible next year!
keywords: "as possible"..

tailgate, my SO (whom you have met) has a respiratory condition and she teaches 2nd grade. I understand that there are plenty of people who want (need?) their kids back in school so that they can return to work or "life before covid", but there is at least 1 immuno-compromised teacher who would be putting her health (life?) at risk by returning to the classroom to teach, even at half capacity (alternating day proposal, which totally sucks for the children of teachers who are single parents). I, for one, am really hoping that our teachers will be given the discretion to choose whether to return to the classroom or continue with a remote learning option similar to the way things were at the end of last year. but what if she is told she must either return to the classroom or lose her job? we'll see what the next month of 'rona has in store for us, but that's not trending well right now, so maybe I will get my wish.

didn't mean to derail the thread. I'm very happy for all of the graduates who were able to experience their hs graduation due to the efforts of CSISD, but I will reserve my praise until we know what decision has been made regarding the schooling environment for the fall semester. to their credit, tho, they have been polling the teachers and asking for input/feedback. time will tell.
LOYAL AG
AG
theNetSmith said:

Tailgate88 said:

Thankfully the district seems like they want to have school be as normal as possible next year!
keywords: "as possible"..

tailgate, my SO (whom you have met) has a respiratory condition and she teaches 2nd grade. I understand that there are plenty of people who want (need?) their kids back in school so that they can return to work or "life before covid", but there is at least 1 immuno-compromised teacher who would be putting her health (life?) at risk by returning to the classroom to teach, even at half capacity (alternating day proposal, which totally sucks for the children of teachers who are single parents). I, for one, am really hoping that our teachers will be given the discretion to choose whether to return to the classroom or continue with a remote learning option similar to the way things were at the end of last year. but what if she is told she must either return to the classroom or lose her job? we'll see what the next month of 'rona has in store for us, but that's not trending well right now, so maybe I will get my wish.

didn't mean to derail the thread. I'm very happy for all of the graduates who were able to experience their hs graduation due to the efforts of CSISD, but I will reserve my praise until we know what decision has been made regarding the schooling environment for the fall semester. to their credit, tho, they have been polling the teachers and asking for input/feedback. time will tell.
You actually bring up an interesting idea. There are going to be parents who opt for online learning if given the choice. what if those kids had an online teacher as well? my teacher wife is concerned that the hybrid model is going to stress the teachers significantly who now basically have two groups of kids to worry about. What if the in school kids had their teacher and the at home kids had a teacher dedicated to them? then your wife stays home and teaches "all" of the online kids, assuming those numbers work out about right?
Tailgate88
AG
Netsmith, I certainly sympathize with your SO's situation and hopefully it works out that she will be able to teach an online option as LoyalAg suggests until conditions change and those compromised can feel more comfortable back in public. That solution seems very logical for the benefit both of your SO and any kids that choose the distance learning option. So far, local districts are signaling that they want to get back to normal as much as possible while still accommodating students (and I am sure teachers) that are not ready to physically return to school. I know teachers want nothing more to get back to school with their kids when they can do so safely, and I hope that is soon, including and especially for your SO.

But I do believe it is critical to give all those who want to come back to school the opportunity to do so, and I was glad to see this from the American Association of Pediatrics. (Hat tip to Dr. Louis Coates, the Aggie physician who has been posting daily on Facebook with Covid updates).

https://services.aap.org/en/pages/2019-novel-coronavirus-covid-19-infections/clinical-guidance/covid-19-planning-considerations-return-to-in-person-education-in-schools/?fbclid=IwAR2x1sm0qaERlN7PAJtY16POgDHeQN5dVJXch-lagqHBwE0CuCms8H7-cLY

Quote:

With the above principles in mind, the AAP strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school. The importance of in-person learning is well-documented, and there is already evidence of the negative impacts on children because of school closures in the spring of 2020. Lengthy time away from school and associated interruption of supportive services often results in social isolation, making it difficult for schools to identify and address important learning deficits as well as child and adolescent physical or sexual abuse, substance use, depression, and suicidal ideation. This, in turn, places children and adolescents at considerable risk of morbidity and, in some cases, mortality. Beyond the educational impact and social impact of school closures, there has been substantial impact on food security and physical activity for children and families.

Policy makers must also consider the mounting evidence regarding COVID-19 in children and adolescents, including the role they may play in transmission of the infection. SARS-CoV-2 appears to behave differently in children and adolescents than other common respiratory viruses, such as influenza, on which much of the current guidance regarding school closures is based. Although children and adolescents play a major role in amplifying influenza outbreaks, to date, this does not appear to be the case with SARS-CoV-2. Although many questions remain, the preponderance of evidence indicates that children and adolescents are less likely to be symptomatic and less likely to have severe disease resulting from SARS-CoV-2 infection. In addition, children may be less likely to become infected and to spread infection. Policies to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 within schools must be balanced with the known harms to children, adolescents, families, and the community by keeping children at home.
BTHO Covid-19!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.