Getting Teen DL options

1,981 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by TexAg1987
ags4rocks
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone have any luck getting drivers license for teen. My teen passed the driving portion and just needs to get the license issued. The DMV say you have to get appointment but they are 30 days out!!! Any ideas appreciated...
MiMi
S
You could try another DPS office in a near-by city.
Tim Weaver
Jumping in on this. My Son just turned 18 and needs to renew, but there's no option for setting a "renew your license" appointment on the DMV Website. They tell him to do it online, but that option is not available when we log in. I'm guessing they need him to take another photo, but we are stuck in a loop of apathy and poor planning.

Any ideas?

OP, have you tried the Spring super center? They were the fastest and easiest to deal with two years ago when he got his test done.
ags4rocks
We have tried every surrounding county within 50 miles......I haven't looked into Spring Super center yet...We are getting the same thing when we go to get an appointment. Very Frustrating.....
iisanaggie
AG
Can you just show up and wait or do you have to have an appointment?
ags4rocks
You have to have appointment to enter building.....
Tim Weaver
Yeah they turn you away and make you reserve an appointment online.

Of course, for the OP and my son the ability to make that appointment doesn't exist online.
chickiepoo
AG
I think you can take the driving test through the Austin Driving School in Bryan. We didn't use them because there was a fee (can't remember how much). You may want to check with them.
MiMi
S
I am not sure about issuing the actual license, but Safeway Driving (in Towerpoint HEB) offers the DPS road test.

https://www.safewaydriving.com/teen-dps-exam
toolshed
AG
I have a friend who's son went through this last week. They called Centerville I believe and were told to be there in line when they opened and they'd likely be in and out in a few minutes. They said the local office was over 30 days to get an appointment time.
ags4rocks
Thanks for the heads up!
iisanaggie
AG
I just made an appointment for my son on August 11. Sonar, it you try the Centerville option, please post if you are able to get in without an appointment. We will try that if it works for you.
ags4rocks
Will do!! that's quite a trek!!!
ags4rocks
Will do!! that's quite a trek!!!
aggiegal99
I know of at least three kids, including my own, who took their driving test at Austin Driving School or Safeway the last week of May (before local DPS offices opened back up) and promptly sent their stuff into the state DPS office. A month later, they are still waiting (but the checks have cleared the bank).

This route does not appear to be faster than waiting for a DPS appointment somewhere.
TexAg1987
Tim Weaver said:

Jumping in on this. My Son just turned 18 and needs to renew, but there's no option for setting a "renew your license" appointment on the DMV Website. They tell him to do it online, but that option is not available when we log in. I'm guessing they need him to take another photo, but we are stuck in a loop of apathy and poor planning.

Any ideas?

OP, have you tried the Spring super center? They were the fastest and easiest to deal with two years ago when he got his test done.

If you can renew online, then that is what you should do. I don't think you need a new photo.
Tim Weaver
TexAg1987 said:

Tim Weaver said:

Any ideas?

If you can renew online, then that is what you should do. I don't think you need a new photo.

It won't give us the option after logging in. It says to visit local dps.

For what it's worth we did speak to someone in Austin that said his license will be honored until the local offices resume full operation and then we'll have 60 days to renew.
TexAg1987
I see. I thought it was letting you renew, just not make an appointment.

I am gathering a stack of license plates i need to renew for the same reasons.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.