City of College Station to vote on mask mandate

23,483 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggiePhil
Omega6464
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Council will consider mandating masks inside of all businesses at their meeting tomorrow night (25 June). Businesses that are just beginning to see the light may have to turn away customers.
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
FlyRod
MiMi
S
From a recent KBTX story (Monday afternoon):
Quote:

College Station Mayor Karl Mooney said he was more open to having a hearing from others about the idea of mandating businesses to require employees and customers to wear masks. The matter will be discussed further at Thursday's city council meeting, but no formal action is expected.
Based on this, it doesn't look like a vote will be taken tomorrow night. But maybe they have decided to vote on this? Do you have more recent information?
Bryanisbest
AG
Nancy Berry, former CS Council Person, now on Commisioners' Court, is spearheading the same mask requirement for all businesses in the county
Gunner0740
It's like the OP writes for KBTX. Making an absolute statement when in actuality, the discussion is yet to be had or a decision to be made. Nothing like trying to whip everyone into a tizzy by leading with a misguided headline.
Rapier108
I'm sure the police are going to love the endless calls from our local Karens anytime they see someone not wearing a mask.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
FlyRod
No doubt. The Karens who want to speak to the manager about why they're being asked to wear a mask will be pretty inconvenienced.
tb9665
Question of the day. How would you like for your surgeon not to wear a mask when you are having surgery done?

AggieYankee1
Rapier108 said:

I'm sure the police are going to love the endless calls from our local Karens anytime they see someone not wearing a mask.

Can we please get over the insults and the dismissivness. We are about to have 10,000's more people come into this city and our health care system is already starting to bend... let's get our act together as a community and not stick our heads in the sand. At some point the arrogance by which someone has treated this will come back, if we do not start acting now.

And I have found that those that have insulted people along the way and dismissed experts who haven been handling these things for decades are either safe and sound and get their food delievered or are scared themselves and so project that fear into other people.

The truth is - a lot of people are scared - ALOT! and I am young - my husband has had so many vaccines coming out of the military and is on a constant regimen of vitamins.

But we are still worried - there is no telling what this might do to us - and as along as we face that fear and act accordingly - we will come out of this. But the more we take that fear and lock it away because we are afraid of the fear - the longer it will all take... with only a vaccine to save us.
Rapier108
You need a sense of humor.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
tb9665
Does not anyone look at Houston news? ICU beds might be gone by Thursday.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
Rapier108 said:

Karens go both ways. See crazy woman screaming at city council videos making the rounds.
AggieYankee1
Rapier108 said:

You need a sense of humor.

And you need prepective. 120,000 dead Americans - with 10,000's more before a vaccine comes along.

Jump on board and let's do our part. If we got hit by a terrorist attack tomorrow - we would all line up and give blood - support the Troops and wave the flag! Proudly! But instead this is tearing us apart... why?

Let's act accordingly.
Rapier108
tb9665 said:

Not even close. And most ICU beds are not being used by coronavirus patients. Hospitals tend to run with ICU between 70% and 80% full under normal circumstances.

tb9665
Texas Children's Hospital is accepting adults. Not just disabled .
AggieYankee1
Rapier108 said:

tb9665 said:

Not even close. And most ICU beds are not being used by coronavirus patients. Hospitals tend to run with ICU between 70% and 80% full under normal circumstances.

https://www.tmc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2020/06/9-TMC-total-icu-bed-occupancy-6-22-2020.png

That was 4 days ago.... today will be the 25th

The date says the 21st
Rapier108
Still no where close to being out of beds.

Here is the most recent.

And this only applies to the Texas Medical Center. Not every single hospital in Houston.
AggieYankee1
Rapier108 said:

Still no where close to be out of beds.

So when is too much ... too much. What is your measure of "it's getting bad and I'm sorry I was not warning more people to be safe"

We want to warn people so it does not get so bad people are scared back in their homes. It seems you are trying g to convince people it's not that bad. It seems like your encouragement is toward ... it's not that bad - go about your life.

Well - it's gotten bad because people ignore it. So what is your limit? Dark red - semi yellow?
Rapier108
AggieYankee1 said:

Rapier108 said:

So when is too much ... too much. What is your measure of "it's getting bad and I'm sorry I was not warning more people to be safe"

We want to warn people so it does not get so bad people are scared back in their homes. It seems you are trying g to convince people it's not that bad. It seems like your encouragement is toward ... it's not that bad - go about your life.

Well - it's gotten bad because people ignore it. So what is your limit? Dark red - semi yellow?
And you want everyone to agree with you that we're all one step from doomsday. Just like on your elephant thread, any and every post that refutes what you say, you just can't let it stand and have to do the very thing you complain about, start attacking the poster.

And for most people, it is not that bad. Depending on the study, it may be up to 80% or higher who are asymptomatic or symptoms so mild they would not even draw attention. Yes, it is dangerous to the elderly and those with additional health issues, but even most of those survive it. We cannot live in fear, nor can we keep locking down the country over and over.

There are two choices because a vaccine cannot be counted on. Either we have endless lock downs every other month or so or we get it over with now. Keeping everything locked down does nothing but cause a slow burn and as soon as the next lock down it is over, it will come roaring back, and so will the calls for locking it all down yet again.
02skiag
AG
From the all the numbers released, it seams the spread has nothing to do with visiting a business with or without a mask. It all seems to be from extended exposure, those working close together and large gatherings.
Rapier108
02skiag said:

From the all the numbers released, it seams the spread has nothing to do with visiting a business with or without a mask. It all seems to be from extended exposure, those working close together and large gatherings.
Per the CDC's latest guidelines, it is people who have had at least 15 minutes of close contact with a contagious person who are most at risk.

Walking past someone on the sidewalk or in the grocery store is very low risk unless the person spews a bunch of fluid onto your face.

The #1 riskiest public place right now seems to be bars, and #2, whatever it is, isn't even close.

The problem is, let's say we shut down bars and cut restaurant capacity to 25% or 50%. It is not going to stop people under 30 from hanging out and being exposed. They'll just get together at private locations and do whatever they want. Some here (not you 02skiag) just don't seem to realize that college students believe they're immortal and don't give a crap about anyone but themselves. Better they all get it and get over it because that gets us much closer to the herd immunity needed to truly slow and eventually all but stop the spread.
Psychag
AG
I just don't understand the defiance and reluctance of people's refusal to wear masks when in public. This is the very least that should be done for our fellow man/woman. We all owe it to each other out of understanding, respect, and empathy. C'mon!
txgardengirl
ICU beds have a little space but hospitals in the largest medical center in the world will be full tomorrow. The graphics are all over, even Sharpe co-signed a letter. Houston has a real issue.

Bigger issue - do you want to be in a bed when there is not enough hospital staff? Sadly, that's coming on strong. They were already understaffed and this will exacerbate that. Bonus - new residents start July 1 and they finished their last semester in online classes...

Keep it to essential trips out and kindly mask up. It's a very small thing to do.
Gunner0740
Answer of the day: I'm not walking around with my body cut open.

Also, the masks they wear are designed to keep the surgeon's germs out of the patient, not the patient's germs out of the surgeon which would be what is needed to keep people from getting sick. Unless you have a mask that both keeps your germs in and other people's out you are only achieving a solution to half the problem.
Broncos
tb9665 said:

Question of the day. How would you like for your surgeon not to wear a mask when you are having surgery done?

Question of the day. How would you like to not have wings on an airplane while flying?
rodan85
AG
Rapier108 said:

AggieYankee1 said:

Rapier108 said:

And you want everyone to agree with you that we're all one step from doomsday. Just like on your elephant thread, any and every post that refutes what you say, you just can't let it stand and have to do the very thing you complain about, start attacking the poster.

And for most people, it is not that bad. Depending on the study, it may be up to 80% or higher who are asymptomatic or symptoms so mild they would not even draw attention. Yes, it is dangerous to the elderly and those with additional health issues, but even most of those survive it. We cannot live in fear, nor can we keep locking down the country over and over.

There are two choices because a vaccine cannot be counted on. Either we have endless lock downs every other month or so or we get it over with now. Keeping everything locked down does nothing but cause a slow burn and as soon as the next lock down it is over, it will come roaring back, and so will the calls for locking it all down yet again.
Cannot star this enough.
rodan85
AG
Rapier108 said:

AggieYankee1 said:

Rapier108 said:

Cannot star this enough.
taxpreparer
AG
tb9665 said:

I cannot even imagine a time I would be in public, leaning over someone for more then a minute, where I might be breathing into am open wound. Walking by someone ion the street, or in a grocery store, or even sitting across a desk from them for a half hour is not comparable to a surgeon performing a procedure.

Wait! Maybe a comparable to the surgeon would be lying the beach and spending several minutes rubbing sunscreen on my wife. That is the only time i can think of I wold be spending such close constant contact for a period of time.
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
Jbob04
AG
tb9665 said:

That isn't even close to being the same thing as wearing a mask while out shopping.
cavscout96
AG
tb9665 said:

non sequitur
cavscout96
AG
tb9665 said:

Texas Children's Hospital is accepting adults. Not just disabled .
half-truth, at best.

they are TESTING adults and have OFFERED space for adults.

cavscout96
AG
AggieYankee1 said:

Rapier108 said:

Can we please get over the insults and the dismissivness. We are about to have 10,000's more people come into this city and our health care system is already starting to bend... let's get our act together as a community and not stick our heads in the sand. At some point the arrogance by which someone has treated this will come back, if we do not start acting now.

And I have found that those that have insulted people along the way and dismissed experts who haven been handling these things for decades are either safe and sound and get their food delievered or are scared themselves and so project that fear into other people.

The truth is - a lot of people are scared - ALOT! and I am young - my husband has had so many vaccines coming out of the military and is on a constant regimen of vitamins.

But we are still worried - there is no telling what this might do to us - and as along as we face that fear and act accordingly - we will come out of this. But the more we take that fear and lock it away because we are afraid of the fear - the longer it will all take... with only a vaccine to save us.
Grand Slam of logical fallacies!

Ad Hominem
Appeal to False Authority
  • Tradition
Appeal to emotion
  • Fear
  • Pity
  • Mob
False Dichotomy

This is why application of reason and logic is preferred over decision making based on irrational fear and hysteria.
laavispa
Guess I'm of mixed mind about this issue. Let me explain.

I came out of an industry where PPE was pretty standard. Did a lot of confined space permitting- so slipping in an out of PPE for this is 2nd nature. PPE is never the end all, actually it is the least preferred method of mitigating a risk- but sometimes it is all you have. Seems like with COVID we have had to default to least effective- but 30-40% effective is > 0%.

Now for years I wore FRC daily, and those things are a bustard in heat/humidity. Fortunately never had to test their effectiveness. Same true for safety glasses and hard hats.- most of the time big pain in the arse.

I don't like the idea of gumment mandated PPE(masks) but then the things cited above were all OSHA mandated.
So, I got used to the idea... or go find another profession.

KidDoc
AG
A month ago I did not worry about not wearing a mask in any business where I could social distance. At that time we had 100 active cases in BCS. Now we are climbing to 700 so I mask up with surgical mask.

Of course I mask when seeing patients as mandated by the Texas Medical Board. Doctor visits are high risk situations for spread.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
cavscout96
AG
laavispa said:

Guess I'm of mixed mind about this issue. Let me explain.

I came out of an industry where PPE was pretty standard. Did a lot of confined space permitting- so slipping in an out of PPE for this is 2nd nature. PPE is never the end all, actually it is the least preferred method of mitigating a risk- but sometimes it is all you have. Seems like with COVID we have had to default to least effective- but 30-40% effective is > 0%.

Now for years I wore FRC daily, and those things are a bustard in heat/humidity. Fortunately never had to test their effectiveness. Same true for safety glasses and hard hats.- most of the time big pain in the arse.

I don't like the idea of gumment mandated PPE(masks) but then the things cited above were all OSHA mandated.
So, I got used to the idea... or go find another profession.

Agreed and COVID is no exception. The most effective, according to the experts, is distance and hand hygiene.

Masks have been noted for use in instances where distancing isn't possible or feasible.

The frustrating thing I'm seeing is that, out of irrational fear, people think their mask will save them. According to recent research, right here on campus, masks are up to 40% effective at stopping droplets. 40% >0% undoubtedly, but most I've seen are

• no wearing their mask properly
  • fiddling with their mask constantly
  • using their mask as an excuse to ignore distancing

All of these significantly reduce the efficacy of masking and, when combined with constantly touching your face and/or ignoring physical separation guidance, might actually INCREASE your risk.

It's an outward and visible measure and it makes people feel good, but it's not that effective, and it COULD actually be counter-productive.

-------------------------------------

Agreed. If the boss says...... you comply or move on, but this isn't about a condition of employment.

It is actually about elected officials lording power over the masses through edict or through threats to business licensing. Why do I need a license to operate a business anyway? Don't contracts only require two parties? Why does a merchant need to pay the king to simply operate?

Should people wear masks who are high risk or conducting activities with high likelihood of exposure? Certainly.

Could businesses mandate masks? Certainly. Their property. Their business interest. Their liability. Their decision.

Should GOVERNMENT mandate masks. Absolutely not.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.