City of College Station to vote on mask mandate

23,676 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggiePhil
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Forcing employees to wear masks for 8+ hours a day straight is not good for their health.

When people who have their own office are forced to wear them, it has gone beyond absurd.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
MiMi
S
Quote:

Forcing employees to wear masks for 8+ hours a day straight is not good for their health.
Do you have a source for this? I, and other health care professionals, wear masks many hours a day. I haven't suffered any adverse effects, but it would be interesting to learn what could happen.

Quote:

When people who have their own office are forced to wear them, it has gone beyond absurd.
Agreed. I were in my own office, I would not wear a mask. Since you're not interacting with the public, then I don't see this as a problem.
FlyRod
There are quite a few pics of health care personnel showing their pulse oximeter readings while wearing masks circulating the interwebs.
Rapier108
MiMi said:

Quote:

Do you have a source for this? I, and other health care professionals, wear masks many hours a day. I haven't suffered any adverse effects, but it would be interesting to learn what could happen.

Quote:

Agreed. I were in my own office, I would not wear a mask. Since you're not interacting with the public, then I don't see this as a problem.
It may not hurt everyone, but I have some coworkers who have difficulty breathing if they wear one for a long period of time. Also, sucking in bacteria and extra CO2 all day can't be good for some.

After about an hour, my face turns bright red and feel hot, although it will clear up if I take if off for 5-10 minutes.

Also, how the hell am I supposed to talk on the phone? I asked about taking if off for that and was told that would be grounds for being sent home for the day.

Comrade Mooney made no distinction for people in offices and those who aren't, so it is either wear a mask all day, or you can't work.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
dubi
AG
Rapier108 said:

MiMi said:

Quote:

Quote:

It may not hurt everyone, but I have some coworkers who have difficulty breathing if they wear one for a long period of time. Also, sucking in bacteria and extra CO2 all day can't be good for some.

After about an hour, my face turns bright red and feel hot, although it will clear up if I take if off for 5-10 minutes.

Also, how the hell am I supposed to talk on the phone? I asked about taking if off for that and was told that would be grounds for being sent home for the day.

Comrade Mooney made no distinction for people in offices and those who aren't, so it is either wear a mask all day, or you can't work.
Your coworker should buy a lace mask!
medic1969p
AggieYankee1 said:

Rapier108 said:

I'm sure the police are going to love the endless calls from our local Karens anytime they see someone not wearing a mask.

Can we please get over the insults and the dismissivness. We are about to have 10,000's more people come into this city and our health care system is already starting to bend... let's get our act together as a community and not stick our heads in the sand. At some point the arrogance by which someone has treated this will come back, if we do not start acting now.

And I have found that those that have insulted people along the way and dismissed experts who haven been handling these things for decades are either safe and sound and get their food delievered or are scared themselves and so project that fear into other people.

The truth is - a lot of people are scared - ALOT! and I am young - my husband has had so many vaccines coming out of the military and is on a constant regimen of vitamins.

But we are still worried - there is no telling what this might do to us - and as along as we face that fear and act accordingly - we will come out of this. But the more we take that fear and lock it away because we are afraid of the fear - the longer it will all take... with only a vaccine to save us.

Here we go again. Stop the fear mongering.
toolshed
AG
So, since we started the week with Mooney and Peters saying "we aren't going to mandate masks", "no action will be taken at today's meeting", "we will discuss at the commissioners meeting but we won't mandate masks", I assume closing the economy will happen once they figure out masks don't do anything or don't slow the spread fast enough. They've said they won't close down or do stay at home orders again, but at this point, their word holds no meaning.

Whoever screams the loudest wins!
Bunk Moreland
The way I read it is you don't have to wear it in your own office. Just in areas of the building where you can't maintain a social distance.
Rapier108
Bunk Moreland said:

The way I read it is you don't have to wear it in your own office. Just in areas of the building where you can't mai9a social distance.
According to our safety officer who contacted the city, it applies to everyone.
Bunk Moreland
Rapier108 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

The way I read it is you don't have to wear it in your own office. Just in areas of the building where you can't maintain a social distance.

Either the safety officer is misinformed or they miswrote the order.

Quote:

Requiring your employees to wear a face covering while at work when maintaining sufficient physical distance from another person is impossible or unlikely;

We have plenty of space and offices to operate at a distance. They can piss off.
tb9665
It kind of stinks but masks are here to stay for awhile.
threecatcorner
City of Bryan and Brazos County have similar orders effective 12:01 AM on Tuesday.

[url] https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/bryan-mayor-brazos-county-judge-sign-order-requiring-masks-in-businesses/article_1feedbbe-b7f9-11ea-b56c-bfc5f5e1c796.html[/url]
musicforall
I'll mask. It is the easiest way we have to prevent giving/getting it. The alternatives are worse - lock downs, no students, no school. Don't like it, but I will do it, until someone gives me a better alternative. I really want school to be held sometime in the 2020/2021 school year and do not see how it is possible with our cases still climbing.

Homeschooling while working is pretty darn awful. Teaching one child takes four hours a day, teaching two is a full time job.
PS3D
toolshed said:

So, since we started the week with Mooney and Peters saying "we aren't going to mandate masks", "no action will be taken at today's meeting", "we will discuss at the commissioners meeting but we won't mandate masks", I assume closing the economy will happen once they figure out masks don't do anything or don't slow the spread fast enough. They've said they won't close down or do stay at home orders again, but at this point, their word holds no meaning.

Our elected officials have straight-up lied to us. This is far more concerning than just hand-wringing about healthcare.
toolshed
AG
Here's one, of several, issues I have of the mandate.

Scientifically, a mask doesn't work properly with facial hair. Therefore, can the powers that be mandate all men must shave for the greater good!

Scientifically, you can get the virus through your membranes around your eyes. So can they mandate swim/ osha approved goggles to keep the virus out?

Where does it stop? As I heard one person say, if they can mandate you wear one mask, they can mandate you wear two masks and goggles. They can pretty much mandate anything they want at this point, in the name of the "greater good" , as defined by them of course. We've given over our rights and freedoms to make choices at this point. It's a free for all power grab now. As long as they say, it's for your and my safety, they can tell you to do pretty much anything at this point.
merc
AG
I do not know what is the right or wrong way to handle this (not convinced anyone does at this point) but wearing a mask doesn't bother me. At this point though I think the long term damage is already done. It has been done to mental health, economic health, and any kind of trust in the leadership at all levels. The media has made a game out of everything. Anything even slightly important is hijacked by politics. Pick a path and walk it. Isolate until is gone or open things up and live life. Back and forth is horrible.
techno-ag
AG
Bunk Moreland said:

Rapier108 said:

Bunk Moreland said:

Either the safety officer is misinformed or they miswrote the order.

Quote:

Requiring your employees to wear a face covering while at work when maintaining sufficient physical distance from another person is impossible or unlikely;

We have plenty of space and offices to operate at a distance. They can piss off.
This, along with Trouble's earlier comments about government interference, is the proper attitude.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
PS3D said:

toolshed said:

Our elected officials have straight-up lied to us. This is far more concerning than just hand-wringing about healthcare.
I will be voting early and often against our current elected officials in the next election.
nthomas99
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

PS3D said:

toolshed said:

I will be voting early and often against our current elected officials in the next election.

Honest question borne out ignorance. Are there viable alternatives yet / on the horizon? I saw somewhere on FB there's an informational for candidates next week. Any word on emerging choices?
toolshed
AG
nthomas99 said:

GiveEmHellBill said:

PS3D said:

toolshed said:

Honest question borne out ignorance. Are there viable alternatives yet / on the horizon? I saw somewhere on FB there's an informational for candidates next week. Any word on emerging choices?

This was my question and I haven't dug into it. But I assume with primaries already done with, your left with either who we have that's unopposed or a single other candidate.
nthomas99
AG
toolshed said:

This was my question and I haven't dug into it. But I assume with primaries already done with, your left with either who we have that's unopposed or a single other candidate.
https://blog.cstx.gov/tag/city-council-101/?fbclid=IwAR3VKfsRSog7xugBWJRhN8_SjH5dBvBdLtE2mWn7RXW1WWT97sXrKUj_k9I

" If you are considering running, we invite you to attend a free City Council 101 seminar at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, June 27 at the City Hall Council Chambers."

"The filing period to run for council is July 24-Aug. 24. Candidates must be at least 18 years old, U.S. citizens, qualified Texas voters, and College Station residents for at least one year before Election Day. Candidate information packets are available at the City Secretary's Office at College Station City Hall."

Any takers?
91_Aggie
AG
toolshed said:

Here's one, of several, issues I have of the mandate.

Scientifically, a mask doesn't work properly with facial hair. Therefore, can the powers that be mandate all men must shave for the greater good!

Scientifically, you can get the virus through your membranes around your eyes. So can they mandate swim/ osha approved goggles to keep the virus out?

Where does it stop? As I heard one person say, if they can mandate you wear one mask, they can mandate you wear two masks and goggles. They can pretty much mandate anything they want at this point, in the name of the "greater good" , as defined by them of course. We've given over our rights and freedoms to make choices at this point. It's a free for all power grab now. As long as they say, it's for your and my safety, they can tell you to do pretty much anything at this point.
silly slippery slope... at this point it is requiring a mask.
We really need the snowflakes to stop whining about a minor inconvenience of wearing a mask and making it out to be that someone is trying to take away a Constitutional right.

the issue is to help slow the spread. Everyone knows a mask is not 100% effective.. but it is effective enough to slow it.
Bringing up edge cases about bears and eyes is just not honest.
toolshed
AG
Slippery slope indeed...I mean it's just a minor right to give away. Shouldn't be a big deal, no?
91_Aggie
AG
toolshed said:

Slippery slope indeed...I mean it's just a minor right to give away. Shouldn't be a big deal, no?
Your entire argument is based on: "I will not wear a mask because it is not 100% effective against stopping the spread, therefore I will not wear one"

Oh, and "maybe, just maybe if the government is able to make us all adhere to wearing a mask, then the next thing they will make us do is wear goggles and shave our beards"

Look, I know it is the internet, but even you have to sit back and look at that and see how ridiculous it is.

"Hey, people.. condoms are not 100% effective against pregnancy and STDs... I can show you countless scientific sources that show they are not 100% effective, so do not even wear one... it's useless and the scientists and doctors are lying to you."

"Hey kids, if you have the cold or flu, the doctors and scientists say you should sneeze or cough into the crook of your elbow to help avoid spreading it... but that's not 100% effective in stopping the spread of it... so just sneeze or cough without covering at all... the scientists are lying to you"

"Hey kids, during this covid-19 time, the doctors and scientists are saying you should wash your hands several times a day... but of course, that's not 100% effective against spreading.. so stop being a lemming and washing your hands... it's a conspiracy"

And your slippery slope is just as bad.
The government has already MANDATED and CLOSED DOWN businesses during this time. I know you may not own a business, or maybe not own one that was affected... but that seems to be the bigger government overreach... but no, you anti-common sense/anti-maskers glom on to being required to endure a minor inconvenience as what you are going to make your "last stand".

you all would have been useless during WWII and the sacrifices that were required then.

wasntme
nthomas99 said:

toolshed said:

https://blog.cstx.gov/tag/city-council-101/?fbclid=IwAR3VKfsRSog7xugBWJRhN8_SjH5dBvBdLtE2mWn7RXW1WWT97sXrKUj_k9I

" If you are considering running, we invite you to attend a free City Council 101 seminar at 6 p.m. on Tuesday, June 27 at the City Hall Council Chambers."

"The filing period to run for council is July 24-Aug. 24. Candidates must be at least 18 years old, U.S. citizens, qualified Texas voters, and College Station residents for at least one year before Election Day. Candidate information packets are available at the City Secretary's Office at College Station City Hall."

Any takers?
June 27th is today, not Tuesday.
Brian Alg
It was a Tuesday in 2017
Brian Alg

Brazos Coalition for Responsible Government
nthomas99
AG
Brian Alg said:

It was a Tuesday in 2017

Sorry, missed that date. My bad, it was posted yesterday in a local business owner's FB page. But in any case, probably not too late to register for 2020
Brian Alg
It happens, lol

nthomas99 said:

But in any case, probably not too late to register for 2020

Yep.

Registration for seats 1, 3, and 5 starts mid July.

https://www.cstx.gov/departments___city_hall/elections
toolshed
AG
91_Aggie said:

toolshed said:

Your entire argument is based on: "I will not wear a mask because it is not 100% effective against stopping the spread, therefore I will not wear one"

Oh, and "maybe, just maybe if the government is able to make us all adhere to wearing a mask, then the next thing they will make us do is wear goggles and shave our beards"

Look, I know it is the internet, but even you have to sit back and look at that and see how ridiculous it is.

"Hey, people.. condoms are not 100% effective against pregnancy and STDs... I can show you countless scientific sources that show they are not 100% effective, so do not even wear one... it's useless and the scientists and doctors are lying to you."

"Hey kids, if you have the cold or flu, the doctors and scientists say you should sneeze or cough into the crook of your elbow to help avoid spreading it... but that's not 100% effective in stopping the spread of it... so just sneeze or cough without covering at all... the scientists are lying to you"

"Hey kids, during this covid-19 time, the doctors and scientists are saying you should wash your hands several times a day... but of course, that's not 100% effective against spreading.. so stop being a lemming and washing your hands... it's a conspiracy"

The government has already MANDATED and CLOSED DOWN businesses during this time. I know you may not own a business, or maybe not own one that was affected... but that seems to be the bigger government overreach... but no, you anti-common sense/anti-maskers glom on to being required to endure a minor inconvenience as what you are going to make your "last stand".

you all would have been useless during WWII and the sacrifices that were required then.

Ridiculous indeed!! I mean, the CDC must be wrong, right?

https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-recommends-different-facial-hairstyles-work-better-with-face-masks-2020-2

My argument is less government intrusion. If you let them tell you to wear a mask, what else are you willing to let them tell you to do? Sit at the back of the bus? Drink from a different fountain? Those were deemed to be for the "greater good" born out of racism and utterly wrong. But the government and leaders mandated it, it was the law.

You don't know a thing about me, you just resort to name calling and put downs. You don't know the business I own, how it's affected by this shutdown and COVID, financial losses, etc. You just want to sit behind your keyboard and tell me what I can and can't do and who I have to listen to.

I'm tired of other people deciding who should be offended and who shouldn't. Of other people deciding they know what's best for everyone and telling those who have a different opinion to go along to get along. I'm tired of giving and inch and they take a mile.
MiMi
S
I had no idea men's facial hair had names!

FYI - The chart is for proper fitting of N95 respirators, not surgical masks or other face coverings.
toolshed
AG
The point is that it's telling you the only way that the N95 mask works and is fully effective. All else is down hill from there on effectiveness. , whether a less effective mask, or facial hair, or the combination of the two. Less than that is a false sense of security. But it makes everyone feel safe.
FlyRod
For some reason you, and others, keep missing the central point...arguably at this point the only one that matters. If most people are wearing masks, the rate of transmission drops dramatically, Regardless of whether or not you are wearing an N95 mask.

For the Nth1000th time, it's not about protecting you, it's about protecting you and others.

The science is pretty firm on this by now, and yes of course it's your choice not to buy into it.
trouble
AG
They have different actions of effectiveness though.

A N95 needs a good seal to keep you from breathing things in. The point of wearing a cloth or surgical mask is to stop larger droplets from you coughing or sneezing getting to other people. They don't seal on anyone's face, beard or not.

I still don't like the government mandate but not because of effectiveness.
91_Aggie
AG
toolshed said:

Ridiculous indeed!! I mean, the CDC must be wrong, right?

https://www.businessinsider.com/cdc-recommends-different-facial-hairstyles-work-better-with-face-masks-2020-2

My argument is less government intrusion. If you let them tell you to wear a mask, what else are you willing to let them tell you to do? Sit at the back of the bus? Drink from a different fountain? Those were deemed to be for the "greater good" born out of racism and utterly wrong. But the government and leaders mandated it, it was the law.

Maybe I misjudged.
Let me ask you this.

The science currently says that wearing mask offers benefit to slowing the spread, and especially protects others (it's not necessarily to protect yourself).
Notice I didn't say it was 100% effective, but all the science so far says it will slow transmission.

Let me know if you agree or disagree with the above.

If you don't then I will stop debating with you since it's a lost cause to argue with someone who will say "the above is completely false and there is absolutely no benefit to wearing a mask, and I won't do it no matter how many scientists and doctors tell me I should"

cavscout96
AG
91_Aggie said:

toolshed said:

This is the second time you've brought up the WWII rationing

It's a false equivalency.

If you want to cue up for the next train car to the left, be my guest.

It's not about the masks. It's about bad leaders making bad decisions and foisting them on the public "for their own good."

You can continue your snowflake BS if you want, but you schtick is getting pretty tiresome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.