City of College Station to vote on mask mandate

23,675 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggiePhil
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
KidDoc said:

A month ago I did not worry about not wearing a mask in any business where I could social distance. At that time we had 100 active cases in BCS. Now we are climbing to 700 so I mask up with surgical mask.

Of course I mask when seeing patients as mandated by the Texas Medical Board. Doctor visits are high risk situations for spread.
If I can truly social distance, I may or may not. If I can't SD, I almost always do.

I'm not anti-mask, per se. I'm anti-government mandates on personal decisions, and absolutely against mandates based on irrational emotional arguments.
doubledog
Jbob04 said:

tb9665 said:

Question of the day. How would you like for your surgeon not to wear a mask when you are having surgery done?

That isn't even close to being the same thing as wearing a mask while out shopping.
A surgeon wears a mask so as not to infect the patient. The idea is the same for a shopper. The mask is not for the individual it is for the community. Some people cannot wrap their heads around that idea.
lockett93
AG
What about the masks I see with valves for exhaling? Defeats the purpose of "protecting others". Are we going to ban those as part of this new mask requirement?
doubledog
lockett93 said:

What about the masks I see with valves for exhaling? Defeats the purpose of "protecting others". Are we going to ban those as part of this new mask requirement?
Those are painters (contractors) masks that are designed for individual protection. They are not accepted as surgical masks.

trouble
AG
This is exactly why I'm not going anywhere. I hate to wear a mask. I will, if necessary, but I did it for so long for work that I just can't.

I've worn one exactly once because I needed to be the one to take the baby to his well check. My husband is doing our grocery shopping and picking up takeout. We've only been out to eat a few times and it was well planned to hit a less busy time.

If a business wants to require it, I'm all for that. Government needs to stay out of it.
cavscout96
AG
trouble said:

This is exactly why I'm not going anywhere. I hate to wear a mask. I will, if necessary, but I did it for so long for work that I just can't.

I've worn one exactly once because I needed to be the one to take the baby to his well check. My husband is doing our grocery shopping and picking up takeout. We've only been out to eat a few times and it was well planned to hit a less busy time.

If a business wants to require it, I'm all for that. Government needs to stay out of it.
I get it. I'm with you. I have my own reasons to dislike masks in general. I also understand the benefit they can provide when used appropriately, but your last sentence sums it up.
Omega6464
Listen to yesterday's WTAW interview with Mayor Mooney. At the 8 minute mark he said the council could "strongly direct" businesses to require masks. At the 11:34 mark he said, owing to the emergency declaration, they could pass a resolution "so that it almost goes into affect immediately."
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
979ag
AG
OKAY I WILL LISTEN G'DAMMT
Anonymous Source
S
Was Mayor Mooney on WTAW yesterday?
Gig 'Em
laavispa
Quote:

• no wearing their mask properly

With the current environment I evaluate a business biased on how their employees perform this one task. You can tell how effectively Management/Supervision deal with a simple training issue.

Take for example the recent (reported) closure of 3 tire businesses in B/CS over COVID cases. These are probably temporary to be sure. But consider the economic impact on the business in lost income, lost employee time, customer inconvenience. Same thing to consider with the Sanderson cluster. These are all cost to be passed on or reflected in bottom line numbers for investors- some one pays.

Major industries on the coast have mega-economic considerations. With 24/7 operations and hundreds of highly skilled and not easily replaced employees, a serious COVID out break would have profound economic impact on the country. One of their rules: if a shift has one case- the whole crew is quarantined. The operation must then rely on overtime to fill the shift-with these guys it ain't cheap.

Anonymous Source
S
Rapier108 said:

Still no where close to being out of beds.

Here is the most recent.

And this only applies to the Texas Medical Center. Not every single hospital in Houston.
So 32 beds are available in hospitals that are equipped to deal with this thing in a city of over 4M people?
OK....
Gig 'Em
isitjustme
AG
laavispa said:

Quote:

• no wearing their mask properly

With the current environment I evaluate a business biased on how their employees perform this one task. You can tell how effectively Management/Supervision deal with a simple training issue.

Take for example the recent (reported) closure of 3 tire businesses in B/CS over COVID cases. These are probably temporary to be sure. But consider the economic impact on the business in lost income, lost employee time, customer inconvenience. Same thing to consider with the Sanderson cluster. These are all cost to be passed on or reflected in bottom line numbers for investors- some one pays.

Major industries on the coast have mega-economic considerations. With 24/7 operations and hundreds of highly skilled and not easily replaced employees, a serious COVID out break would have profound economic impact on the country. One of their rules: if a shift has one case- the whole crew is quarantined. The operation must then rely on overtime to fill the shift-with these guys it ain't cheap.

This is great rationale for private businesses making their own decisions on this issue. No government mandates needed.
tb9665
Not sure why. Starbucks on University Dr. is temporarily closed.
cavscout96
AG
perfectly well-reasoned
laavispa
Quote:

This is great rationale for private businesses making their own decisions on this issue.

In my view there is the economic element here. In the conditions I cited above, the employees (process operators) are much harder to replace than the barista or the greeter at Sam's. However, in my view, the employer has the responsibility to see the employee receives 1)proper PPE and 2)proper training followed by management support for the program. It just makes good business since.

If the business chooses to "invite" the public in to their place of business, then the business has an obligation to provide a safe environment. The same might be said for 'inviting' your child to attend an institution of higher learning.

In general businesses choose to do this anyway. For example restricting access to hazardous work areas in a car dealership or the tire shop. A lot of this is driven by insurance requirements- still not the gumment.

Perhaps, given my experience, I take a very different view of the situation. BUT I can't make you safe- only YOU can make you safe- nor can any business or government.
tb9665
Milam County has face mask mandate.
MiMi
S
Watching the council meeting right now. Our mayor said that while the news media reported that no action would be taken by the council tonight, he (as mayor) can take action (with or without the council's blessing) under our emergency declaration status. They are about the hear comments from the public then we will learn of his decision. By his comments, it sounds like this will be a done deal. But it would be a few days or so until it would go in effect.
Bryanisbest
tb9665
Bryan is just waiting to see what College Station is doing . They will follow shortly after them.
tb9665
Just read city of Galveston extended their mask policy through September.
Rapier108
tb9665 said:

Milam County has face mask mandate.
Milam County imposed a curfew when all this insanity started even though it was not allowed by the Governor's orders.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
Bryanisbest
AG
This thread is illustrative of the difference in CS and Bryan. CS is reputed to be a city full of Republicans and conservatives yet CS has always been the city that pushes for much more government control, a Democrat principle. Bryan, on the other hand, probably has more registered Democrats and minorities, yet Bryan has always been the city who favors less government control and more freedom. Bryan did not even have zoning for many years after zoning and strict controls were the rage in CS. I can't see the Bryan City Council being real fired up about requiring masks in all businesses. Nancy Berry, former CS Mayor, wants the County Government to require masks. The County Judge and new commissioner, Chuck Konderla, a former Bryan Councilman, will probably be hard to convince on masks. College Station imposes a big impact fee on residential builders. Bryan does not. It is much easier to build in Bryan because there are far less government controls in Bryan. A central planner government controller like John Crompton could never get elected in Bryan. Businessmen have always dominated the Council in Bryan. Very interesting dichotomy between the two cities. All is not always as it seems.
Bryanisbest
AG
MiMi
S
Mayor will be announcing his executive order sometime tomorrow. All the council members were in agreement with him. He is meeting with the county judge in the morning to see what the county will be doing.

All but one public comment was for the mask ordinance, including a representative from HEB. It was also said that the majority of calls and emails they have received was for the ordinance as well.
Jimmy Conway
MiMi said:

Mayor will be announcing his executive order sometime tomorrow. All the council members were in agreement with him. He is meeting with the county judge in the morning to see what the county will be doing.

All but one public comment was for the mask ordinance, including a representative from HEB. It was also said that the majority of calls and emails they have received was for the ordinance as well.

Any chance large gatherings will be addressed by an updated order?
FlyRod
Wouldn't get too confident about Bryan not following suit. Not that I know something...
AC Hopper
S
CS council unanimously supported & approved masking EO effective ASAP, i.e. as soon as the city atty. can get it drafted.
AC Hopper
S
Jimmy Conway said:

MiMi said:

Any chance large gatherings will be addressed by an updated order?

Can only hope! Would be none too soon. CS & Bryan have become a COVID-19 incubator.
nthomas99
AG
The only problem with that statement is that the positivity rate has actually declined from June 16 (the day before we started contract tracing in earnest). On that day it was cumulatively 8.27%. Since then it is 8.19%. Furthermore, hospitalization as a percentage of active cases has almost halved, from 6.08% to 3.58%.

It's pretty clear the case increase is due in large part to the effects of contact tracing and finding the asymptomatic cases that were always there.

I honestly don't get it. Isn't this the best case "flattening the curve" was aiming at? Hospitals aren't overrun, we've had time to identify and protect the vulnerable, and an increasing amount of those tested are asymptotic.
MiMi
S
Quote:

It's pretty clear the case increase is due in large part to. the effects of contact tracing and find the asymptomatic cases that were always there.

Hopefully, with more people wearing masks when in local businesses, those asymptomatic cases can't transmit the virus as readily compared to not wearing a mask.
nthomas99
AG
I think from the demographic skew, most of this isn't happening at Lowe's. It's 20s and 30s at the bars and private events. It's not in principle that I'm opposed to masks, it's that the broad order is likely misguided and ineffective. Sorry, Mooney lost my vote months ago, and tonight's actions only confirmed this decision.
JP76
MiMi said:

Quote:

It's pretty clear the case increase is due in large part to. the effects of contact tracing and find the asymptomatic cases that were always there.

Hopefully, with more people wearing masks when in local businesses, those asymptomatic cases can't transmit the virus as readily compared to not wearing a mask.

And after 1 week, or 1 month if the positive cases do not start declining can we then agree that masks are not beneficial to preventing the spread of the virus ?
Jimmy Conway
My personal unsolicited opinion: allow 50% occupancy for restaurants, bars, and retail for the time being. Restaurants and bars should not allow seating within 6 feet of separate parties. Go back to a ban on mass gatherings of 10 or more for the time being. Fine people not following these rules.
cavscout96
AG
Jimmy Conway said:

My personal unsolicited opinion: allow 50% occupancy for restaurants, bars, and retail for the time being. Restaurants and bars should not allow seating within 6 feet of separate parties. Go back to a ban on mass gatherings of 10 or more for the time being. Fine people not following these rules.

10 people in the Dixie Chicken or 10 people in Reed arena?

The Governor lost on masks thanks to the lawyers. Not sure if the same holds true for public gatherings. Maybe, but it remains to be seen.
cavscout96
AG
Rapier108, cue up the Brownshirts on Broadcastify. They'll be out in full force.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.