City of College Station to vote on mask mandate

23,666 Views | 202 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by AggiePhil
toolshed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife showed me how she wears hers in the lab. She ties a knot in each side, up close to the mask. Then, when you put it on, it seals better to the face and chin but also tents the mask a little so that it's not resting right on your mouth, which can't make you feel more claustrophobic or feel like you can't get a good breath. It creates a little flap on the sides exit to the knot that you have to push up or down sometimes to seal well, but it seemed to work well for her.
AggiePhil
AG
Hard to visualize. See if she'll make a YouTube video.
dubi
AG
AggiePhil said:

Hard to visualize. See if she'll make a YouTube video.
At least a photo. I don't get it either!
AggieBarstool

toolshed
AG
It helps keep the material away from the nose and mouth and a little easier to breathe with.

Edit to say, the twist may work just as well, and for someone with a big head like me, the knots make the mask a little smaller, and it doesn't quite fit under the chin, at least the little I've messed with it. Still working on it to see what's most comfortable. But I think this type mask is going to be a little more effective than a cloth mask, unless the cloth has a filter of some sort in it.

toolshed
AG
In before "that's your wife?!".

No, but I figured I'd disguise myself and show how it fits.
tb9665
I saw that Houston has 3 businesses on the Wall Of Shame. I wonder how long it will take around here to start one for businesses allowing customers to shop/enter without them on.
saltydog13
AG
FlyRod
Thanks for this.
johnnyblaze36
AG
I've worn a mask once this entire time and that's when my Dr required me to wear one during an office visit. Today I tried to walk into a CVS to grab a gift card and be in and out and was denied entrance for not having one on. Couldn't believe it.
Bunk Moreland
Welcome to the suck. I wore a mask once before too. Was picking up Gus's Fried Chicken to go in Austin while visiting friends. Gus's is mask-worthy (channeling Elaine spongeworthy).

Other than that I had it on to walk on and off the SW plane but otherwise kept it off during the flight until someone complained that me and my buddy were talking to a guy across the aisle with out one on so we 'faked' it in agreement with the flight attendant who was just trying to do his job.

I'm going to be a good soldier for 2 weeks. If deaths dont skyrocket by ~ July 10th then I'll stop complying.

Most everyone in Lowe's today had a mask on but a few didn't and nobody haggled them.
toolshed
AG
That's because of the way they set up the mandate and penalty, citing the business instead of the person. I think it's easier to exercise control over the businesses vs individuals
toolshed
AG
My concern, and rumors are already circulating, is that Abbott calls for another shutdown, not allowing the masks even a window to be effective.

I know Judge Hidalgo in Harris County is lobbying hard for the ability to shut it down again. mayor Turner has "lost his patience" with those not wearing masks (Ignore the picks of him at the funeral and other protests standing shoulder to shoulder with people with no masks).

Hopefully the governor and other officials have a spine and allow citizens to use the masks and see if they even work, since that's what they've been pounding into our brains the last several weeks. But I've lost faith in the system and their honesty.
Bunk Moreland
Abbott has shown no spine to date. His apology tour this past weekend blaming bars was an embarrassment.

I hope the 'rumors' you're hearing are largely bull**** because not one thing should change unless deaths (true covid deaths) and true covid hospitalizations go up massively.
trouble
AG
Blaming bars then going to a 2400 person political rally with a large unmasked choir.
toolshed
AG
I take what the person said with a grain of salt. But they have some affiliation with local political party operations so who knows. I pray it's a rumor, I don't know how these businesses will survive another shutdown.
tb9665
Looking the next flu might be bad. Hopefully not.
Omega6464
They are already spinning up the new Chinese swine flu as the next pandemic. Brace yourself.
"He who attempts to govern, ploughs the sea" -Simon Bolivar
scd88
AG
More from China? This ought to be fun.
Smonty
Statewide mask order for all counties with 20+ cases goes into effect at noon tomorrow.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/02/gov-abbott-issues-statewide-mask-order/
AggieBarstool
Smonty said:

Statewide mask order for all counties with 20+ cases goes into effect at noon tomorrow.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/07/02/gov-abbott-issues-statewide-mask-order/
I can't wait to see everyone's heads explode at being required to do something that's common-sense.
isitjustme
AG
Or choose not to and take responsibility for the consequences. Choices are awesome!
oklaunion
agrab86 said:

Or choose not to and take responsibility for the consequences. Choices are awesome!
So in the event you (hypothetically infected but not aware at the time) would infect others by not wearing a mask, you would take responsibility for it?
isitjustme
AG
oklaunion said:

agrab86 said:

So in the event you (hypothetically infected but not aware at the time) would infect others by not wearing a mask, you would take responsibility for it?
Have fun proving that one. But if they could prove it was me, I'd do today's version of taking responsibility by simply saying "my bad." Isn't that all you have to do these days?
91_Aggie
AG
agrab86 said:

oklaunion said:

agrab86 said:

Have fun proving that one. But if they could prove it was me, I'd do today's version of taking responsibility by simply saying "my bad." Isn't that all you have to do these days?

So. You talk big about your freedoms and how you are not a sheep following whatever everyone else does, but then when you actually need to follow through on personal responsibility, you join the flock of sheep to avoid consequences of your actions?

Yep. All your posturing and arguments, but when push comes to shove, you run and hide in the crowd.
AggieBarstool
agrab86 said:

Your right to choose ends where my right to safety & health begins. Being a responsible person is awesome!
BCSWguru
AggieBarstool said:

agrab86 said:

Your right to choose ends where my right to safety & health begins. Being a responsible person is awesome!
Might as well have added "for the children" and got the trifecta.
isitjustme
AG
91_Aggie said:

agrab86 said:

oklaunion said:

agrab86 said:

So. You talk big about your freedoms and how you are not a sheep following whatever everyone else does, but then when you actually need to follow through on personal responsibility, you join the flock of sheep to avoid consequences of your actions?

Yep. All your posturing and arguments, but when push comes to shove, you run and hide in the crowd.

I never used the sheep analogy, you might be thinking of someone else.

For all the dense people out there, the "my bad" reference was making fun of the "my bad" culture - falsely claiming responsibility without really doing anything about it.

The hypothetical posed was a silly one. If you catch a cold or the flu or tb or chicken pox or some std from someone and you can prove it was them you caught it from (usually easier with the latter one but not always for some), what is their responsibility to you? Typically none. This is the same situation.

Masks no, distancing yes. Distancing solves it all. If I don't have a mask on and that concerns you, then don't come near me. Problem solved. Just b/c you want to walk or stand or sit near me doesn't mean I have to don a mask. Go near anyone, whether they are wearing a mask or not, then you are taking a chance.
AggiePhil
AG
"...in a public place where it is difficult to keep six feet away from other people or working in areas that involve close proximity with coworkers."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.