Elephant in the room

15,242 Views | 115 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by medic1969p
cavscout96
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
laavispa said:

The most authoritative report I have seen was produced by the Army's Chemical Biological Center back in April.
The report only addresses homemade masks of the type typically seen locally.

Quote:

They found that one of the best readily available materials to use in a homemade face covering is four-ply microfiber cloth which can be found in the cleaning section of most big box stores. It filters out over 75 percent of particles. In comparison, the N95 mask used by healthcare workers in hospitals can filter 95 percent of particles or greater. The team also found that even a polyester bandana can be reasonably effective if it is used in layers. It will filter out 40 percent of suspended particles.

https://www.cbc.ccdc.army.mil/newspost/ccdc-chemical-biological-center-tests-for-the-best-homemade-face-covering-materials/

You might check out this as well https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/05/19/anti-microbial-machine-washable-face-masks-coming-to-soldiers-to-help-protect-against-coronavirus/

And Biosmart material may not be available for civilian market (what are the adverse impacts of "re-charging" with bleach.)
those links are largely superficial, BUT this one:

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/04/24/army-researchers-say-this-is-the-best-material-for-a-homemade-face-mask-theyve-found-so-far/

has some actual useful data from the same testing and eval source:

Quote:

The salt particles used to test the filter were 0.2-0.3 microns in size. Coronavirus is roughly 0.1 microns in size, but the virus floats around in droplets expelled by infected persons that are anywhere from 0.2 to a several microns in size or larger.

Thanks for sharing
laavispa
Thanks for the additional info. Saw the Army Times hint from another thread and decided to follow up-I saw this as well but failed to include.

Yes, the test and eval data are important!!!
91_Aggie
AG
agrab86 said:

You do, however, seem to be convinced that the face covering is the deal breaker. As an over-55 Christian who goes out often and is doing just fine, I take your insinuation that millions of Christians like me who don't think face coverings are needed are brainless to be offensive. But that's ok. I forgive you and will simply distance from you and all will remain just fine.

Nope. I definitely am not insinuating Christians are brainless as I am one as well. I am saying that if you profess to be a Christian, then it seems you would live according to Jesus' teachings and commandments.

Not wearing a mask because it violates your "rights" to express yourself (whatever the heck that means) means you are elevating yourself above commandments such as love your neighbor, be compassionate, etc.

isitjustme
AG
I didn't say you said all Christians are brainless. I said there are millions of Christians who agree with me regarding masks. Are all those millions brainless? That is my question. Further, using your view of Christianity to shame or belittle those who do not agree with you on the mask issue is, shall I say, not very Christian-like.
FlyRod
Still digesting the governor's speech, which seems like a bit of a Rorschach test; he's concerned about rising cases and hospitalizations, but not mandating anything. But, he goes on to say any manner of measures are all on the table. So his message is either "Be sensible folks," or "Don't make me come in there!"
toolshed
AG
As a conservative with more libertarian views, this is how it should be. Government can caution and give warnings but should not be in the business of legislating behaviors. Making something illegal does not necessarily coerce everyone to not do it. Look at the war on drugs. They're illegal, and yet people still do them. Look at most crimes. People do things because they choose to, sometimes despite the laws against them. Laws, locks, etc are for the honest people. The criminals will continue to commit crimes.

So you (in general terms) want masks to be mandated, based on the set of science you choose to back your beliefs. I can show you papers and research that shows masks do little to help things, especially cloth masks. But they don't fit the narrative so they are discarded. "But it can save a few lives!" Everyone not driving would save lives from auto accidents, but we don't consider never driving again.

What happens when we decide to legislate other things based on "public good", that you may not agree with. What if we legislate that we need to take 50% of your salary to give to those who feel disadvantaged so that we can quell the riots and unrest? Do we just call that a minor inconvenience for a greater good and move on?

What if the government decides who gets life saving health care and who doesn't, based on their research and science, whether you agree with it or not. What happens when you or your loved one isn't in the group worth saving? Do we just say that the government knows best and go along with it?

I don't believe government knows best and I do believe that those in the legislature make decisions based on what benefits them the most, or their side the most. All well and good until you're on the minority side and the laws start hurting more.

Use common sense, make wise choices,but I don't need the governor or other officials telling me what's mandatory or not. Whether it's masks, seat belts, helmets, etc.
Hammerheadjim
AG
agrab86 said:

MeKnowNot said:

RGovernor Abbott at today's press conference:

"I know that some people feel that wearing a mask is inconvenient or is an infringement of freedom, but I also know that wearing a mask will help us to keep Texas open," he said. "Not taking action to slow the spread will cause COVID-19 to spread even worse, risking people's lives and ultimately leading to the closure of more businesses."
Yet the Governor did not mandate them. He encourages them. I can accept that. Wear them if you want to.
Affirmative. I too can agree with the Governor on endorsing them. In an open society we should use more encouragement, good examples and common sense. Nothing good comes from the government "forcing", "mandating", or "using the power of the police state" to coerce an activity without a law legislated by our elected officials. On the flip side, a business could do that as well as an employer. IF you don't like their policy either suck it up, change jobs, or go to another business.
Walk softly and carry a big stick! Make sure the big stick makes big boom noises and flashy bright lights.
isitjustme
AG
Hammerheadjim said:

agrab86 said:

MeKnowNot said:

RGovernor Abbott at today's press conference:

"I know that some people feel that wearing a mask is inconvenient or is an infringement of freedom, but I also know that wearing a mask will help us to keep Texas open," he said. "Not taking action to slow the spread will cause COVID-19 to spread even worse, risking people's lives and ultimately leading to the closure of more businesses."
Yet the Governor did not mandate them. He encourages them. I can accept that. Wear them if you want to.
Affirmative. I too can agree with the Governor on endorsing them. In an open society we should use more encouragement, good examples and common sense. Nothing good comes from the government "forcing", "mandating", or "using the power of the police state" to coerce an activity without a law legislated by our elected officials. On the flip side, a business could do that as well as an employer. IF you don't like their policy either suck it up, change jobs, or go to another business.

Or you can try and change it. Or practice a little civil disobedience and see what happens.

Also, I like your signature quote. They're about to tear the statue of the original speaker of the first part of your quote down, the one in front of the NYC Metro Art Museum. I guess if they decide to do that, we can all just suck it up or ignore it. Same can be said of other statues. Point is on any given action or rule by government or other authorities, we all have options to suck it up and comply, violate it, sit on the sidelines, go away, or try and do something change it.
AggieYankee1
It is time to face facts. You can not simple just ignore it and thus does not exist.

With more people of an irresponsible age coming into town coupled with public schools re-opening with no real safety standards in place ... local health will simply be told to suck it up.

Again - I'm asking - what are the options?
Expo can carry another 50-100 people

And BSW has room in the parking lot - my guess is admins are already trying to find large gyms of schools that might not have a lot of attendance.

The best bet truly - is Bryan Business Park.
It has space - access to plenty of power and it is right off the highway - north and south.

They can probably handle about another 800-1000 people.

"Where is the sense of community that we had when this started"

Those of you who say I do not care... good for you but you are now inflicting harm on nurses - doctors and those who will have to put their surgery's off because it is "fake news"

Time to face facts - the deniers were wrong and the lax attitude that people had was wrong as well. If Greg Abbott is not Republican enough for you - I'm kinda scared to see who is.
toolshed
AG
Yet you ignore the facts presented above, refuse to answer questions, and make up facts about people being kicked out of the hospital to make room for more sick people because you don't believe that 9 people could "magically get well and make room for 13 sick people". Sullivan himself said yesterday that despite the increase hospitalizations, we aren't seeing the ICU being overrun.

You say that schools are starting back up with not real safety standards. I don't believe this is the case, as noted by what we've been sent from the district. BISD has sent out surveys, stating that they are gathering information on what the options are going to be for the fall, and that the start of school in the fall could look different than we have seen in the past.

I've talked to people who work and teach at A&M. They are actively discussing different teaching and attendance models. One said she wouldn't be surprised if the only time she goes on campus in the fall is to teach her class, all other work would be done from home.

I have first hand knowledge based on the above, and believe administrators and those in charge are actively examining options, safety protocols, how to change standards for the better.

Excuse me if I don't blindly take your word as fact, and thus face the facts.
trouble
AG
Looking at actual evidence does not make us deniers.

Not believing and responding exactly as you do also does not make us deniers.
AggieYankee1
trouble said:

Please explain - when will things get bad enough that you would admit your wrong.

I would like to know your rubric for failure/success? What would it take to admit you were wrong?

I know I would admit I was wrong if I were and things just go back to normal and doctors are getting on this forum and saying - ya know what we are fine it is all fake news...
What would it take to admit you were wrong?

105% over capacity - 120%

Please give a straight answer and do not deflect.
Tailgate88
AG
AggieYankee1 said:

It is time to face facts. You can not simple just ignore it and thus does not exist.

With more people of an irresponsible age coming into town coupled with public schools re-opening with no real safety standards in place ... local health will simply be told to suck it up.

Again - I'm asking - what are the options?
Expo can carry another 50-100 people

And BSW has room in the parking lot - my guess is admins are already trying to find large gyms of schools that might not have a lot of attendance.

The best bet truly - is Bryan Business Park.
It has space - access to plenty of power and it is right off the highway - north and south.

They can probably handle about another 800-1000 people.

"Where is the sense of community that we had when this started"

Those of you who say I do not care... good for you but you are now inflicting harm on nurses - doctors and those who will have to put their surgery's off because it is "fake news"

Time to face facts - the deniers were wrong and the lax attitude that people had was wrong as well. If Greg Abbott is not Republican enough for you - I'm kinda scared to see who is.
It seems like there are more cases all of a sudden because of the huge uptick in testing due to contact tracing.

I'm posting this from the other thread tracking the number of cases on this forum. Note the last comment is from a local pediatrician and I'm not sure about the quoted but but based on his posting history, he is in-the-know as to what is going on with the local cases.

KidDoc said:

Rapier108 said:

oklaunion said:

They may be testing more but the percentage of positives compared to the total tested has risen a lot. I think Dr. Sullivan said it was around 24%. I think 1 out of 4 testing positive is pretty high.
Without giving away a lot of information, there has been a very large number of college age individuals who are being tested simply due to contact with a positive case. Many have tested positive but have never shown or developed symptoms. Before we ramped up testing, these cases would never have been found. There was a time we only tested people who were sick, or had been in prolonged, close contact with known cases such as people living in the same house. It goes along with what other areas and countries have found, that there is a very large number of people who never develop symptoms or their symptoms are so mild they never even think it could be the China virus.
This is 100% correct. We have a high % of positives due to contact tracing. MANY of them have no or very mild symptoms.

This is how a pandemic should be managed- see S Korea data.

Could things change tomorrow? Yes. Is the sky falling? No.
AggieYankee1
AggieYankee1 said:

trouble said:

Please explain - when will things get bad enough that you would admit your wrong.

I would like to know your rubric for failure/success? What would it take to admit you were wrong?

I know I would admit I was wrong if I were and things just go back to normal and doctors are getting on this forum and saying - ya know what we are fine it is all fake news...
What would it take to admit you were wrong?

105% over capacity - 120%

Please give a straight answer and do not deflect.

I'd like an answer to my question...
trouble
AG
I never said it was fake news.

There's a lot of grey between where you are and where you are claiming I am.
AggieYankee1
trouble said:

I never said it was fake news.

There's a lot of grey between where you are and where you are claiming I am.

I would like a direct answer to my question. Not some waffling. Y'all are portraying yourselves as the ones with a steady grip and not "losing your mind". So give me a clear answer. Please.
trouble
AG
To what? Stuff you are claiming I believe but I don't?

It's a bad virus. A lot of people are going to get it. Some people are going to die.

We aren't close to having local hospitals overwhelmed with cases.
AggieYankee1
trouble said:

It's a bad virus. A lot of people are going to get it. Some people are going to die.

Again. Please answer the question.

What is your Rubric for success/failure. When would you admit you were wrong to down play the seriousness and I'm not just talking to you but everyone else on here that try's to belittle people into silence.

Because make no mistake that is the goal.. to stop people complaining and accept it as a part of the world... for what reasons... who knows.

But please explain - when would you or anyone admit they were wrong to down play it. I've given mine - what is any of y'alls?

STAFF - I would like know how people know I am female?

Tell me - are you guys sharing email addresses... private email addresses?

[WE DO NOT SHARE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION ON OR FROM THIS WEBSITE AND WE DO NOT SELL OR RELEASE EMAILS. Staff]

*** I'm so glad to know that you folks spend hours on here and instead of using that time to remind people how serious this is - you attempt in a very cruel way to laugh them out of the room like a bully insecure about the geek because he is smarter.

Spend that time trying to remind people that our economy COULD get a 2nd punch because the lack of caring people are putting in spreads the virus. This means people instead of feeling safe will be scared back into their home and not back to restaurants and stores. You know - small business.

The #1 reason parents and families will be reluctant to send their kids either to Texas A&M or to public schools is due to the lack of caring responsibility they see and other people like those on this forum.
So in the end - it could be y'all that really crush the economy - not 'us'.

Ironic is it not...
trouble
AG
I still have no idea exactly what you want me to say.

The evidence agrees with my stance. Many are going to get it. Most will survive. A small percentage will need hospitalization. An even smaller percentage will die.

Wash your hands. Wear a mask when feasible. Socialize responsibly for your risk level.

We aren't close to running out of healthcare resources. L
isitjustme
AG
trouble said:

I still have no idea exactly what you want me to say.

The evidence agrees with my stance. Many are going to get it. Most will survive. A small percentage will need hospitalization. An even smaller percentage will die.

Wash your hands. Wear a mask when feasible. Socialize responsibly for your risk level.

We aren't close to running out of healthcare resources. L
Yankee wants you to tell him he has been right all this time and you have been wrong unless you can give him evidence that he will accept that shows you're correct. Only he won't accept your evidence because he is convinced of his own. And round-and-round it goes.
trouble
AG
I'm just not sure how he thinks hospitals normally run. They don't need the governor's permission to cancel elective procedures if they are short on space. ICUs run at nearly full capacity most of the time and few people outside of the hospital know it.

Heck, just this past November, there were no NICU beds available in Bryan, College Station, The Woodlands, or at Dell Children's. When my son was born, our choices for transfer were TCH in the medical center or Seton Main in Austin. It happens. All the time. I was a charge nurse in a critical care unit at Brack in Austin. My daily goal was to flip as many of my 18 beds as possible to open ICU beds.
toolshed
AG
What does his rubric for failure matter? He's not the one in charge. He hasn't claimed to be. He simply holds a view different than yours and you've decided to pester him until he gives you the answer you, in your mind, deserve to get. This is a message board where people are free to share their opinion and point of view, even if different than yours.

If he makes up a rubric, then what? It holds no more weight than the "facts" you've made up, such as claiming doctors are discharging sick patients to make room for more sick patients.

We shut down the economy for the pending crisis that never happened. Yes,infections, infection rates, hospitalizations are up, as anticipated. Maybe more than people would like to see, but 65% or normal capacity isn't a crisis.

I'm not a health care professional, but I'd argue there are contingency plans in place to expand capacity once we creep closer to 100% of normal operating capacity.

trouble
AG
Umm, she.
toolshed
AG
trouble
AG
Forgiven
toolshed
AG
I was wrong, you're right.

(It wasn't that hard to say after all!)
trouble
AG
I was talking about myself not you.
trouble
AG
What on earth are you on about?

Stop. Take a deep breath. Step away. Come back later and reread the posts above.

No one is laughing you out of the room. No one knew you were female until you edited your post.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Quote:

" STAFF - I would like know how people know I am female? "
Your very first post on Texags you mention you have a husband who is 35.
trouble
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Quote:

That doesn't mean the poster is female.
Belton Ag
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Quote:

JMac03
AG
GiveEmHellBill said:

Quote:

toolshed
AG
AggieYankee1 said:

trouble said:

What is your Rubric for success/failure. When would you admit you were wrong to down play the seriousness and I'm not just talking to you but everyone else on here that try's to belittle people into silence.

Because make no mistake that is the goal.. to stop people complaining and accept it as a part of the world... for what reasons... who knows.

But please explain - when would you or anyone admit they were wrong to down play it. I've given mine - what is any of y'alls?

*** I'm so glad to know that you folks spend hours on here and instead of using that time to remind people how serious this is - you attempt in a very cruel way to laugh them out of the room like a bully insecure about the geek because he is smarter.

Spend that time trying to remind people that our economy COULD get a 2nd punch because the lack of caring people are putting in spreads the virus. This means people instead of feeling safe will be scared back into their home and not back to restaurants and stores. You know - small business.

The #1 reason parents and families will be reluctant to send their kids either to Texas A&M or to public schools is due to the lack of caring responsibility they see and other people like those on this forum.

Ironic is it not...
Well, in an effort to let you know no one is bullying you, and I sure don't agree with the "very cruel way of bullying the geek because they are smarter" comment. I might remind you that you're the one badgering posters to "answer the question" because you don't agree with their answer.

This is a message board, where people are free to and should feel free to share their opinion. But that opinion has to be based on facts. Not fear. You still haven't answered questions about your claims of Dr's rationing care.

Statements such as this one you made on page two, "There were nine discharged along with 13 admitted... does anyone really think that 9 people all of a sudden just got better on the same day 13 got sick. It is more likely that they saw a huge influx and the staff made a choice to have some young's discharged to make room." That is you interpreting a stat to fit what your narrative is. It's simply not true that Dr's are kicking patients out of hospitals while they still need care.

Your other statement on the first post about Caprock transitioning their University clinic to a Covid clinic insinuates that there are so many cases they are being forced to do so. If you look at the news article on KBTX, they stated in the article that they made the business decision to operate that clinic as Covid only, so that there is a smaller risk of staff and non covid patients at their other clinics and hospital coming in contact with Covid patients. I imagine that that University clinic is way down in patients, period, with the University being closed and students being out of town. So they made the business decision to transition the specialty of care at that clinic, vs one of the clinics that are more near residential areas and still seeing more regular patients from the surrounding neighborhoods. Seems like a business making business decisions on how to best serve the community and their personnel.

https://www.kbtx.com/2020/06/18/caprock-transitioning-urgent-care-on-university-to-covid-patients-only/

Sullivan at the BCHD said yesterday that yes, contacts with patients, hospitalizations are up. To be cautious and mindful about distancing, masks, etc. But he made clear that the ICU's are not being overrun. Professionals here with experience in hospitals have stated that ICU's regularly operate near capacity. It's how they are profitable. If a hospital doesn't have patients and procedures, they aren't making money. Canceling procedures previously to make room for what if's resulted in hospitals furloughing or laying off staff because they didn't have the finances to pay them.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Baylor-Scott--White-announces-layoffs-furloughs-due-to-COVID-19-570773981.html

We can have a civil conversation, no one is bullying you. I'd argue the opposite. It's a back and forth of thoughts and ideas. We are allowed to disagree. But you can't win an argument if you're going to twist the truth to fit the narrative.

Edit to say, I had no idea if you're male, female or some other preferred pronoun. I have no idea what your email is, or anyone else's email here. Trouble replied to me after I, in the post above it called her a he about 15 times. Then I apologized for calling her a he. That's it, plain and simple. Sorry if you took it otherwise.
cavscout96
AG
AggieYankee1 said:

trouble said:

Ironic is it not...

Wow.... Seriously?
deh40
AG
trouble said:

I'm just not sure how he thinks hospitals normally run. They don't need the governor's permission to cancel elective procedures if they are short on space. ICUs run at nearly full capacity most of the time and few people outside of the hospital know it.

Heck, just this past November, there were no NICU beds available in Bryan, College Station, The Woodlands, or at Dell Children's. When my son was born, our choices for transfer were TCH in the medical center or Seton Main in Austin. It happens. All the time. I was a charge nurse in a critical care unit at Brack in Austin. My daily goal was to flip as many of my 18 beds as possible to open ICU beds.
Absolutely correct. We have waited for ICU beds on three different occasions for our parents in Houston area hospital long before Covid. They run at 100% capacity on a normal basis.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.