Some Home Building Cost Specifics (Slab, Trim Carpentry, Windows, Masonry)

2,276 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by LOYAL AG
Jimmy Conway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
We are in the process of putting together some notes on how much a home build might look like in College Station Bryan. We are setting up some meetings with home builders but would like to go into those meetings with some information in hand. I'd appreciate it if someone can give me a general idea on what we can expect in cost on slab, trim carpentry, windows, and masonry). If even if you might know per square foot what one can expect that would be fine.

House specs:

3,000 SqFt, single story

Slab: Standard, no major engineering or issues known of so lets assume pretty simple for now.

Trim Carpentry: No major bells or whistles except for some ceiling beams in the living room and some standard molding in the dining room (window installation not included and we are budgeting that separately.) I know sometimes kitchen gets lumped in with trim but we have our kitchen numbers already from a separate installer so no need to include that in trim.

Windows: Again, nothing too fancy but standard windows you'd see in a Castle Gate 3,000 sqft home.

Masonry: Material and Installation/Labor cost would be great here. Lets assume brick all around.

We feel pretty good about the other numbers we have in hand. Thanks in advance!
JP76
For semi custom or custom figure on $130-$200 per heated sq ft
Could be more depending how carried away one gets on finish out
Builder93
AG
You are asking for a lot of professional advice for free. Lots of us like to help with DIY and such but don't get us started doing your detailed estimating for you.
techno-ag
AG
Highly recommend spending more on the foundation. A simple slab will lead to grief down the road.
ontheedge
techno-ag said:

Highly recommend spending more on the foundation. A simple slab will lead to grief down the road.
Depends on where it's put down. Not all areas of town require more than a standard grade beam slab.
ontheedge
Builder93 said:

You are asking for a lot of professional advice for free. Lots of us like to help with DIY and such but don't get us started doing your detailed estimating for you.
May want to decide if the builder will make more profit than the OP believes they should. (wink, wink)
techno-ag
AG
ontheedge said:

techno-ag said:

Depends on where it's put down. Not all areas of town require more than a standard grade beam slab.
You're not going to know for sure until you pay the engineering company for samples. We went with Gessener and they said little clay was evident but still recommended excavating and bringing in special soil. By the time you go to that much trouble, you may as well upgrade your foundation. You can use it as a selling point when you leave. If you stay in the house you can enjoy peace of mind with a good engineered foundation.

I agree the most expensive option with "pier beams" or whatever they call them going down several feet in the ground is not always needed. But I definitely think an engineered slab is worth the upgrade no matter where you build around here.
GrimesCoAg95
AG
I just built a custom house and am happy to have a conversation with you, but here is my advice.

Find a builder that you can work with and that can align with your goals. You have a range above for cost per foot. You have to let the builder manage his subs. One of the biggest assets he is bringing is his contacts. You also can't worry about every line item. You also have to remember that the builder has a few goals including completing your home in a timely manner, protected their reputation for future business, and making a profit.

Think of this scenario. You think a slab should be $x/foot. The builder has a contact that he works with, but it is 50 cents a foot more. Are you going to complain? Is the builder making a profit? You don't know his motive here, but it could be a lot of things. Maybe this sub can save him two weeks. Maybe the slabs from this sub have outperformed his other subs in BCS. Do you want this sub?

Now to try to be helpful:
Trim carpentry: Do you have bathroom vanities handled as well? Any other built-ins such as lockers in the mudroom? If so, you are looking for interior doors, door trim, window trim, baseboards, and crown? I think you mentioned a few others.

Windows: There is a direct correlation between cost and performance/appearance. What type/materials of windows are you looking for?

Masonry: Call Aggieland Masonry and ask them. They can give you a per square foot cost. This will be per square foot of surface, so you will need to do a little math.

Having just gone through this process, I am happy to help. Let me know if you want to have a call.
ratfacemcdougal
JP76 said:

For semi custom or custom figure on $130-$200 per heated sq ft
Could be more depending how carried away one gets on finish out
The best you are going to be able to work with is the range. Although it will be more in the $160-$220+ range. Do you own your lot? If you own the lot those numbers will go down some. A lot of the customs (which is about 99% of the houses around here) the builder will give you an average number. The numbers will be allowances. If the builder has $8/sq ft for flooring, you can spend more, or less, depending on what you ultimately choose. Same with doors, windows, fixtures, appliances....etc. There are sooo many variables. If bob says his floor was $5/sq ft, joe could say his floor was $9/sq ft.
2007fightintexasaggie
AG
GrimesCoAg95 - would you be willing to share who you built with via e-mail and your experience?
Jimmy Conway
GrimesCoAg95 said:

I just built a custom house and am happy to have a conversation with you, but here is my advice.

Find a builder that you can work with and that can align with your goals. You have a range above for cost per foot. You have to let the builder manage his subs. One of the biggest assets he is bringing is his contacts. You also can't worry about every line item. You also have to remember that the builder has a few goals including completing your home in a timely manner, protected their reputation for future business, and making a profit.

Think of this scenario. You think a slab should be $x/foot. The builder has a contact that he works with, but it is 50 cents a foot more. Are you going to complain? Is the builder making a profit? You don't know his motive here, but it could be a lot of things. Maybe this sub can save him two weeks. Maybe the slabs from this sub have outperformed his other subs in BCS. Do you want this sub?

Now to try to be helpful:
Trim carpentry: Do you have bathroom vanities handled as well? Any other built-ins such as lockers in the mudroom? If so, you are looking for interior doors, door trim, window trim, baseboards, and crown? I think you mentioned a few others.

Windows: There is a direct correlation between cost and performance/appearance. What type/materials of windows are you looking for?

Masonry: Call Aggieland Masonry and ask them. They can give you a per square foot cost. This will be per square foot of surface, so you will need to do a little math.

Having just gone through this process, I am happy to help. Let me know if you want to have a call.

Tim: Yes, restrooms and kitchen are handled. I am thinking molding, doors, door trim, window trim, baseboards, ceiling beams. Even if the materials are hard to price, I can certainly start with just the labor number.

Windows: We are looking for something along the lines of say a grade B. Solid not spectacular.

Masonry: Got it, thanks.

Thanks!
LOYAL AG
AG
Prices a couple of years old but doubt any of it has gone down:

Slab is going to be about $14/SF. You can do cheaper but do you want to? Turnkey.
Custom cabinets will be $125/SF or more. Quality varies here. Find a carpenter that doesn't use particle board and pay him what he wants. 20 years from now when the boxes still look brand new you'll be glad you did. With great cabinets you can get a new look by just buying new doors. With particle board you may be buying new boxes.
Trim labor will be north of $1/SF. Labor only. Builder typically provides materials.

Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
LOYAL AG said:

Slab is going to be about $14/SF. You can do cheaper but do you want to? Turnkey.
Custom cabinets will be $125/SF or more. Quality varies here. Find a carpenter that doesn't use particle board and pay him what he wants. 20 years from now when the boxes still look brand new you'll be glad you did. With great cabinets you can get a new look by just buying new doors. With particle board you may be buying new boxes.
Trim labor will be north of $1/SF. Labor only. Builder typically provides materials.

Good post. What are you including in trim?
legalbird
take the lot price out of this

You will spend $120 to $140 a square foot

SHOWER BATHROOM COSTS....DON'T CHEAP OUT IF YOU GOT MONEY

Kerdi liner/concrete backer board

Spray in insulation everywhere including garage

Cheap windows are cheap windows....get good double pane windows

Avoid dumb/unneccessary doors. I have seen houses where there are six exterior doors in a 2500 ft house. Doors are drafty and let bug and hot air in.

Have your mechanicals where you can access them. Don't put hot water heater in attic...That is not smart.

Don't use particle board. Use hardi plank

Shop everything. Don't let your builder say," You have to select your flooring from Roy's Shop on Highway 6. Pick out the best products for your budget.

If your builder doesn't let you do that, find another builder...Maybe that should be the first point.

Soundproof your toilet areas, especially if near the dining area.

Orientation of your house...Will the sun make your utility bill 3x higher in summer?

I could make you a 20 page list but you may have a hard time finding a builder !!!!!
LOYAL AG
AG
Orlando Ayala Cant Read said:

LOYAL AG said:

Good post. What are you including in trim?

Interior doors.
Window and door casings.
Base.
Crown moulding. Probably double in key areas.
Closets made from MDF instead of the wire shelving units.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.