Mandatory Face mask policy on TAMU campus

24,802 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by isitjustme
isitjustme
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Weak pres young just announced a mandatory face mask policy to bein Monday, June 15 for anyone on campus not in their own office. This is total bs and will be extremely difficult to enforce. Comments welcomed.
FlyRod
Hard to enforce in "residences." Likely not that hard to enforce in office settings. Classrooms and labs..no idea, but it seems like something that isn't part of a prof's job description has just been added.

I'll be in my TAMU office on June 15 and I will report what I see.
91_Aggie
AG
All about liability. Not being weak. We live a lawsuit happy society.
75AG
AG
If we see a spread among faculty, staff, or students, the campus will be shut down. I don't understand those opposed to this small inconvenience to keep the campus open. If things get better, the regulation is rescinded.
benchmark
AG
Does this mean mask police on campus?
dubi
AG
benchmark said:

I doubt it. They don't enforce the non-smoking policy at all.
I don't see what the big deal is. If you don't want to wear a mask, don't go on campus.
GSS
If so critical, why wait until June 15th? Covid transmission on hold until then?
NRA Life
TSRA Life
isitjustme
AG
A lot of people who work there do not want to wear them. We know and accept the risks.
Belton Ag
AG
75AG said:

If we see a spread among faculty, staff, or students, the campus will be shut down. I don't understand those opposed to this small inconvenience to keep the campus open. If things get better, the regulation is rescinded.
We will see a spread among all those people you mentioned, facemasks or not. It's just the nature of this thing. I don't mind at all, and tend to agree with, the policy of requiring facemasks indoors; but it's not a small inconvenience to wear a facemask outdoors in this heat and would be ridiculous overkill to enforce it on people out in the middle of the golf course.

Edit: was able to read Young's announcement and it doesn't apply to outdoors.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
I just think it goes a little far. No problem with mask requirement in crowded public areas. But when you're "alone?" Eff that.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
I won't be wearing a mask at my department, and my department head has already said he doesn't care if we wear them or not. It's our choice.
doubledog
75AG said:

This, In most departments it has been mandatory for weeks. Small price to pay for getting back to work.
Mathguy64
AG
GSS said:

If so critical, why wait until June 15th? Covid transmission on hold until then?

It gives you a week notice to get a mask.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
So, the entire state of Texas is opening up more everyday....and our worthless prez is putting more restrictions in place?

What a f-ing joke my beloved university has become. We need new leadership.
lost my dog
MaroonBloodedAg2010 said:

I won't be wearing a mask at my department, and my department head has already said he doesn't care if we wear them or not. It's our choice.
Lol, well given the new rule, if your department head wants to remain department head, he/she will care if you wear them going forward.

I don't actually believe this, but I wanted to be the first to say it:

If you don't want to wear a mask, well Highway 6 runs both ways!
techno-ag
AG
dubi said:

benchmark said:

I doubt it. They don't enforce the non-smoking policy at all.

lost my dog
FlyRod said:

Hard to enforce in "residences." Likely not that hard to enforce in office settings. Classrooms and labs..no idea, but it seems like something that isn't part of a prof's job description has just been added.

I'll be in my TAMU office on June 15 and I will report what I see.
Labs are easy. You simply add a mask to the required PPE for all labs - that information is part of the syllabus
agrab86 said:

A lot of people who work there do not want to wear them. We know and accept the risks.
But you can't accept the risk that you might put on me by not wearing a mask, so if you don't like the workplace rules, you are free to find another place to work. I'll wear a mask to protect myself and to protect others. It is no big deal. But if you feel that your rights are being violated by having to cover your face, by all means, polish up that resume and move on.
MaroonBloodedAg2010
Except the experts are now saying that if you're not sick, there's no need to wear a mask. They just said that there is no evidence to suggest that asymptomatic people spread the virus.

A few weeks ago, we were told we need to trust and listen to the experts who say the lockdowns were necessary and saving lives, but now we should ignore the experts who say masks don't make a difference if you aren't sick?
Loaded
AG
MaroonBloodedAg2010 said:

Except the experts are now saying that if you're not sick, there's no need to wear a mask. They just said that there is no evidence to suggest that asymptomatic people spread the virus.

A few weeks ago, we were told we need to trust and listen to the experts who say the lockdowns were necessary and saving lives, but now we should ignore the experts who say masks don't make a difference if you aren't sick?

Except those "experts" are walking back their comments about asymptomatic spread.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/09/who-scrambles-to-clarify-comments-on-asymptomatic-coronavirus-spread-much-is-still-unknown.html
I don't think it matters what the experts say. If it is a workplace policy to wear a certain uniform and I don't want to wear a uniform, then I need to find a new job. If it is a workplace policy to show up at 8 am and I want to sleep until 8:30 and show up at 9 am, then I need to find a new job. The leadership of the the company/organization gets to set (or change) the workplace policies and if I disagree strongly enough, then I can look for alternative employment.
Carnwellag2
1.618 said:

agrab86 said:

But you can't accept the risk that you might put on me by not wearing a mask, so if you don't like the workplace rules, you are free to find another place to work. I'll wear a mask to protect myself and to protect others. It is no big deal. But if you feel that your rights are being violated by having to cover your face, by all means, polish up that resume and move on.
Whoa whoa whoa..... is this the way it is..... so if the president said all classes will be in person at full capacity.... then any professor who objects should quit...... is that your stance???
AggiePhil
AG
If a tree falls in a forest...
lost my dog
Carnwellag2 said:

1.618 said:

agrab86 said:

Whoa whoa whoa..... is this the way it is..... so if the president said all classes will be in person at full capacity.... then any professor who objects should quit...... is that your stance???
Given the employment law in Texas, that is the correct answer.

But I think you fundamentally misunderstand the role of professors at a university. In economic terms, professors are not simply employees, they are the capital of the university.

Think of a university like a law firm. If the managing partner of a large corporate law firm makes decisions that drive away a large number of partners, the law firm will cease to be viable. And despite what some people think, professors at a Tier 1 university are not easily replaceable.

So yes, the university administration needs to take into account the concerns of its employees in a way that other employers may not. And there are other public relations issues here too - no one wants to have students who get sick and parent who then sue.

Now, to be honest I think Michael K. Young came out with this proclamation right now because UT got ahead of A&M on this, but that's an entirely different discussion.
GnomeTalmbout
Per UPD, there is ZERO penalty for breaking this new "rule".
isitjustme
AG
GnomeTalmbout said:

Per UPD, there is ZERO penalty for breaking this new "rule".

I saw no penalty noted either, but that's a non-employment related matter. However, Gov. Abbott prohibited cities and the like from requiring face mask wear in a late April exec order, and has repeated that again in interviews. TAMU is a public entity and much closer in nature to a city than a private business which can require face masks on their premises. Pres Young appears to be violating the governor's executive order.
Txmoe
AG
The State of Texas and the A&M System have both come out and said that masks are recommended but not required. My questions are whether Young can impose a policy that is more restrictive than his two governing bodies, and whether it is enforceable.
Txmoe
AG
Belton Ag said:

We will see a spread among all those people you mentioned, facemasks or not. It's just the nature of this thing. I don't mind at all, and tend to agree with, the policy of requiring facemasks indoors; but it's not a small inconvenience to wear a facemask outdoors in this heat and would be ridiculous overkill to enforce it on people out in the middle of the golf course.

Edit: was able to read Young's announcement and it doesn't apply to outdoors.
Sorry to be 'that guy' but Young's email did specify "outdoor spaces where six feet or more of physical distancing is difficult to reliably maintain."
Fitch
AG
This type of action was one of several approved by the Board of Regents in the reopening plan passed in late May, and is markedly less onerous than what I've heard described as the plan for Texas Tech by a professor there.
tb9665
I don't want to mention the other school in Austin. They sent out something last week about wearing masks on campus. TAMU was after them.
91_Aggie
AG
Science, *****es!

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/face-mask-use-needed-to-prevent-covid-19-second-wave/
cavscout96
AG
75AG said:

first play in the playbook
cavscout96
AG
doubledog said:

75AG said:

This, In most departments it has been mandatory for weeks. Small price to pay for getting back to work.
play #2
isitjustme
AG
91_Aggie said:

Science, *****es!

https://www.sciencefocus.com/news/face-mask-use-needed-to-prevent-covid-19-second-wave/
Oh, they've got a model in England. Those things have always been spot on. I must concede the argument.

Nah, I'll keep using my common sense and my freedom as a U.S. citizen to make my own decisions.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.