Sunflower fields near Millican

15,697 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by toolshed
halibut sinclair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I saw a pic on Facebook yesterday of some clown with one he had pulled out of the ground as a souvenir.
labmansid
halibut sinclair said:

I saw a pic on Facebook yesterday of some clown with one he had pulled out of the ground as a souvenir.
That is just plain disrespectful and technically theft. I sometimes get into the edge of the field, but I'm very careful to not do any damage whatsoever.
labmansid
aggiegal99 said:

labmansid- would you consider selling prints of this photo of the storm?
Okay, so I set up a gallery just in case someone wanted to order a print. I've never done this as a business, it's just a hobby, so I don't really expect to make money off of it. But I have had some interest on occasion from someone desiring a print, so here is a link.

Sunflower field print option.
ratfacemcdougal
FYI...the Snook sunflowers from the Wilder's are for HEB bird seed
Cholula Verde
AG
MBAR said:

I went a couple of days but the flowers are definitely weighed down with seeds now and are sagging a fair amount at the Snook field.

I hope Mr. Wilder makes a boatload on them!

labmansid
I went down earlier this week to check out the fields, and they were starting to look a bit wilted. I hope we get some rain in the next few days to help them out.
ratfacemcdougal
I am starting to feel a bit wilted myself.
TexasAggie_02
AG
They're wilted bc they have set seed and are done.
labmansid
I made a run this morning down to the newer sunflower fields SW of Millican. I had an idea for something different this time.

Painted Bunting male sitting on top of the flowers.

ratfacemcdougal
NICE
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Where the new field?
labmansid
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

Where the new field?
They are just a bit south of the older ones which are still ripening. Around and south of where the cotton gin is down there. I think it's called Hidalgo Falls.
BMo
Beautiful, Sid! I had to drive 4 1/2 hours to photograph PB this week.
crbongos
AG
Wow Sid! I've never seen painted bunting in these parts and I've lived here for 66 yrs! Beautiful. And the sunflowers are spectacular! Thx for sharing info and photos!!!
CRBongo
labmansid
Thanks guys. These birds are actually pretty common in our area and the hill country during spring and summer. They are just usually pretty shy and good at hiding in the underbrush.
TalkNerdy2Me
AG
Can you describe how to get there from 2154? I'm unfamiliar with the location of the older fields and other landmarks referenced for this area.
UmustBKidding
Take 2154 south from college station to the 4 way stop at 159 in millican. Turn right (west) and follow around as it turns south. If you get to 105 you have gone to far
crbongos
AG
I went by today and some fields are wilted and some are in full bloom. Drive all of highway 50 to get full view. Start at highway 60 and end at 105. Or vice versa. Beautiful drive. Sod farms are lush as well.
CRBongo
Wicked Good Ag
Sid
What kind of camera did you use ??
labmansid
Wicked Good Ag said:

Sid
What kind of camera did you use ??
I use a Canon 7D MKII DSLR, with a Canon 500mm F4 lens. A 1.4x teleconverter gives 700mm total.
UmustBKidding
There back. Not as big yet but will be soon. Some in north section an more mature ones in south areas
studioone

so how far are these fields from Millican?

Just wondering if my bees can make it that far... doubt it, but... shrug..
GSS
Monday pic of smaller sunflowers, smaller field, at FM60&50 intersection. Much larger field of taller/bigger sunflowers just north of there, off of FM50.
NRA Life
TSRA Life
jac4
AG
ttt

Are there any local active sunflower fields this summer?
toolshed
AG
There's a couple fields at 50 & 60 that I noticed a few heads just starting to bloom yesterday. Looks like a week or so before they're all blooming.

I think there are more fields N on 50, but it's been a month or more since I drove it.
ElephantRider
AG
Drove 159 all the way to 105 a few weeks ago and there was a big field past Allen Farm
BMo
Just a single field down that way?
toolshed
AG
Just a drive by, but the fields are in full bloom at 50/60.

techno-ag
AG
toolshed said:

Just a drive by, but the fields are in full bloom at 50/60.

They are just beautiful at that corner. Lots of people stopping to take pictures when I drove by.
toolshed
AG
There's a patch a few miles N of 50 that's already drying out. So these probably won't last too much longer.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.