Sunflower fields near Millican

15,700 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by toolshed
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Took a drive on 159 and just past Thomas Moore Feed came across beautiful fields of sunflowers. Are these new?
roynonroy
Different place but probably similar (new this year)

https://www.theeagle.com/news/local/sunflowers/image_2556078e-a47c-11ea-a2b0-7f444ce2a95a.html
Bunk Moreland
Happened to be driving through yesterday and saw lots of cars stopped to take photos. Beautiful drive for anyone bored.
agfan2013
AG
Not totally new for the area, but they aren't planted every single year like many of the other row crops are.

The field near Milican is owned by the guy who runs Thomas Moore feed, he's a farmer himself and both his and the Wilder's sunflowers linked in the article above are headed to the mill there.

As with many things price/profitability drive planting decisions and this year there is a better price on sunflower seeds. If price stays up, expect to see some acres stick around in future years but if price goes back down, might be awhile before we see them again.
The Brazos Kid
2 weeks ago...
happyinBCS
where are they on 159
UmustBKidding
Across from king ranch field 1
Bunk Moreland
Before and after the Gin at Hidalgo Falls. That entire run
happyinBCS
Thanks
ratfacemcdougal
Fields on 60 between 50 and snook also
dubi
AG
Pics from the fields on Hwy 60 near Snook. I went almost every night for a week and the sunset was different every time. Album link.

13 second exposure after sunset.
MBAR
AG
I went a couple of days but the flowers are definitely weighed down with seeds now and are sagging a fair amount at the Snook field.

I hope Mr. Wilder makes a boatload on them!

labmansid
I noticed those fields a couple of months or so ago, and thought they looked possibly like sunflowers. Since I live between Wellborn and Millican, I sometimes go that way when I go visit my sister in Brenham. So I was keeping an eye on them for when they started blooming. It is pretty impressive how many acres are planted, I would like to know that number.

I have been down that way several times now since they started blooming. Gotta take advantage of the scene while it lasts.

Typical day around the fields.

They make for some awesome sunsets when the clouds cooperate.

When I saw the storms rolling in a few days ago, I knew where I needed to be for them.

TXAGBQ76
AG
Went by both sites today with the wife. The ones on 159 were right by the road and easy to get photos.

Surprised by the herd ignoring the No Trespassing signs at the Snook site.
Monywolf
Beautiful pictures Dubi!
Oogway
Absolutely gorgeous photos everyone. Thanks for posting them!
dubi
AG
Quote:

My favorite with the approaching storm!

JMac03
AG
Mary and Sid - thank you for sharing your wonderful photos!
saltydog13
AG
Reading comprehension is hard when there's 2 bright signs that say Keep Out
TXAGBQ76
AG
LOL; so true!
labmansid
dubi said:

Quote:

My favorite with the approaching storm!

Thanks! This is what I did after leaving the hawk nest that day.

Quote:

Mary and Sid - thank you for sharing your wonderful photos!
Quote:

Absolutely gorgeous photos everyone. Thanks for posting them!

My pleasure!

dubi
AG
Quote:

Thanks! This is what I did after leaving the hawk nest that day.

This is what I did the night of the big storm. Stood in a field by the equine center!

MBAR
AG
RE the people complaining about trespassing, I am not sure which of the two fields you are talking about, but Mr. WIlder had quotes in the local media saying people were allowed to take photos at his fields in Snook but asked they not cut the flowers and for people to be careful with the bees.

I have no idea about the other field.
jja79
AG
You can take pictures without trespassing.
saltydog13
AG
It's the sunflower patch before the 50/60 intersection on the right back behind another crop. There's 2 barrels at the dirt road leading back to the sunflowers that each have big signs on them saying keep out.
MBAR
AG
saltydog13 said:

It's the sunflower patch before the 50/60 intersection on the right back behind another crop. There's 2 barrels at the dirt road leading back to the sunflowers that each have big signs on them saying keep out.
So then its not even the area with the sunflowers that those signs are talking about?
TXAGBQ76
AG
There are two roads that go back into two huge fields of sunflowers- both have big barrels with signs on them saying no trespassing in big letters. People were walking by them headed down the road.
MBAR
AG
TXAGBQ76 said:

There are two roads that go back into two huge fields of sunflowers- both have big barrels with signs on them saying no trespassing in big letters. People were walking by them headed down the road.
Gotcha. Yeah, that's not good. Not sure why people need to go past the edge of the field on the right of way!
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
Like to be there opening weekend of dove season
AG
There's already birds flying around. I can only imagine what it's going to be like opening day
labmansid
SPI-FlatsCatter 84 said:

Like to be there opening weekend of dove season
I don't think they will just leave them there.
aggiegal99
labmansid- would you consider selling prints of this photo of the storm?
labmansid
aggiegal99 said:

labmansid- would you consider selling prints of this photo of the storm?
I'm sure we could work out something. Shoot me an email at my Texags handle @hotmail.com.
TexasAggie_02
AG
MBAR said:

TXAGBQ76 said:

Gotcha. Yeah, that's not good. Not sure why people need to go past the edge of the field on the right of way!

there's more than one sunflower field on FM 60. people are hearing that there are sunflowers out there, and they see the field that is behind the gas station at FM 60 & 50. That field is land locked behind corn fields. The people that own the corn fields do not want people walking through their property. If you keep driving 3/4 mi, there are sunflower fields right next to the highway, and there is even a county road that you can turn on that goes right through the middle of it. But, these fields are past their prime now, petals are wilting and heads are drooping.
saltydog13
AG
Yes that's the sunflower patch I was referring to. I saw someone drive way back in there before the keep out signs were put up. Even after the signs I saw folks walking way back in there just ignoring the keep out signs
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.