CoCS Council Calls Special Meeting 6.1.20 @ 6:30, 1 business day + 15 minutes notice

2,928 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by momlaw
momlaw
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mods: this is specific to College Station residents and purposefully avoids political discussion.
It is simply about voters' rights to access and the city's fiscal responsibilities. Thank you

My email to Council Members

I do not understand the City's sudden rush to force an August 18th Runoff Election for Council Place 4 noticing a Monday Special Session at 6:15 PM on prior Friday.

As of May 13th, in response to inquiry, there was not an anticipated date. This is not clarified by the verbiage on the City of College Station website, particularly,
  • The city council directed staff in the spring to seek permission from the state of Texas tp reschedule the Place-4 runoff election for Aug. 18. While this request is still pending, Monday's action would permit the city to seek court approval to proceed with the election.
Conceivably, in the spring could have been Friday, May 29th.
The Agenda seems to obfuscate when the request was made to the Secretary of State.

While earlier in the year an August date may have seemed acceptable, given the current critically reduced city revenue and local economy's devastated condition, fiscally prudent options must be considered. The opportunity to save funds by consolidating City of College Station elections in November seems a reasonable alternative. Local elections in Brazos County cost close to $20,000, though this will be more expensive with two weeks of early vote rather than the typical one for runoffs. The proposal for incurring court expenses seems fiscally irresponsible and is confounding.

Holding a combined runoff and scheduled Places 1, 3, and 5 in November is an opportunity for College Station citizens to engage and make holistic choices.
It would afford all interested the opportunity to study the candidates and the issues and for the candidates to make their best cases for their College Station vision and positions.

August 18 is especially problematic as it is in the midst of return to Campus for students, faculty, and staff after an extended and difficult absence. One can reasonably project very low voter turnout with many distractions. It is also the day after the deadline for Uniform Election Filing, thus eliminating the opportunity for the candidate who does not prevail to opt into the next round for City of College Station races.

Given these circumstances it is difficult to comprehend the costs to be incurred and disenfranchisement of College Station citizens' votes. I am dismayed.

Website: https://cstx.gov/news/what_s_new/council_to_consider_calling_aug__18_election?fbclid=IwAR3SI3A5HoE077NnxFTsL_diQkZcMGF3KNlKCYZKF6-uZvgYDB05zFBdGMo

Agenda: http://docarc.cstx.gov/DocArc/DocView.aspx?id=1410431&dbid=0&repo=DOCUMENT-SERVER&cr=1
momlaw
momlaw
AG
Email addresses should you think your time is worth investing to let them know your thoughts:
kmooney@cstx.gov
rbrick@cstx.gov
jcrompton@cstx.gov
lharvell@cstx.gov
jnichols@cstx.gov
dmaloney@cstx.gov
momlaw
kraut
AG
They can't pass controversial items with an even number of council members.

This can't wait until November!
txgardengirl
Pretty sure this was already a special election set for April that is getting pushed back - we need 7 members on council sooner than later
George Costanza
Why?
cavscout96
AG
txgardengirl said:

Pretty sure this was already a special election set for April that is getting pushed back - we need 7 members on council sooner than later
why?

the ones we have haven't been of much use lately
momlaw
AG
Have there been any close controversial votes?

Bottom line:
August 18 election will cost the taxpayers about $20,000.
Perhaps upwards as they have outside counsel involved and there will be 2 weeks of early vote.

August time frame considering historical and our current realities will result in abysmal voter participation.

Those are simply solved by rolling this runoff into the November election, which was provided for in the Governor's decree.
momlaw
kraut
AG
momlaw said:

Have there been any close controversial votes?

Bottom line:
August 18 election will cost the taxpayers about $20,000.
Perhaps upwards as they have outside counsel involved and there will be 2 weeks of early vote.

August time frame considering historical and our current realities will result in abysmal voter participation.

Those are simply solved by rolling this runoff into the November election, which was provided for in the Governor's decree.
Sorry - my post was sarcastic.

I figured they were pushing this because the impact fee vote failed 3-3 - that was the one I was referring to.

There really is no reason they can't wait until November, except that perhaps one side or the other may feel they need to limit the amount of people paying attention to this council election.
southerner
AG
The only reason that council would force this election to happen earlier than the already scheduled November election is to limit voter turnout. The four council members affiliated with CSAN must want to ensure that their PAC gets as much control as possible over the outcome of this race.

It is a shame that they announced this Monday night meeting on a Saturday evening
EMY92
AG
It's been a while since I've read up on this, but don't they have a certain amount of time to set the election by law? I think the state of emergency have given them extra leeway, but they might not legally be able to push the election to November.
momlaw
AG
The Governor's decree reads by November 3rd.
Same date as general election.

Only one council member responded to me.
Message, essentially you cannot know things.
I know things.
Listen to meeting, we'll tell you things.

Thing is, I do know things.
I also know some people cherry pick the law to construct things per their agendas.
momlaw
southerner
AG
Sounds like the governor said the election needs to be in November. A good call.

Listen to the two candidates statements from the meeting if you're unclear about who would've benefited from an off-date election.
momlaw
AG
Thanks, Gov.
And a few others who weighed in on background and testing Council's stories and those things we cannot know.
momlaw
duffelpud
AG
20k for an election? What did that mini-me version of Kyle at Central Park cost?
"What's this button do?"
threecatcorner
If they wanted to do it earlier, why aren't they doing it the same time as the other runoff election? On both the Republican and Democratic side, there's a runoff for Flores's seat. I forgot when exactly that runoff got postponed til, but whenever it is (pretty soon, I think), they could've put the council runoff on the same election if they wanted it earlier, save money, and have better turnout.

The day after the deadline to file for the next open seat seems especially dumb. Can they amend that election filing deadline so these same candidates can file for the regular election?

You are right that Saturday night notice for a Monday meeting isn't good.
momlaw
AG
Last time I asked was told about $18,000.
That was 5 days early vote, not 10 or 11.
Plus up all the legal fees, which some are already sunk, in an attempt to coerce various parties to play their game.
Inadvertently, College Station voters prevailed tonight.
Let's hope we have good candidates and engaged voters to make good choices in November.

Three CoCS races on the ballot 1, 3, 5 + runoff for 4.
Let's go.
momlaw
momlaw
AG
General Primary Election Runoff is July 14.
Early vote for two weeks prior.
Monday June 29 Thursday July : 8 - 5
Sunday July 5: 10 - 3
Monday July 6 Wednesday July 8: 8 - 5
Thursday July 9 Friday July 10: 7-7

Early Vote Locations

Election Day Details, YES, there are differences from Early Vote

momlaw
nought
AG
Sorry, but I couldn't listen in.

Without taking sides, can someone tell me which candidate was in favor of the earlier election and which one was in favor of the Nov. election?
momlaw
AG

Guerra completely ok with August, thinks it is time to move on.

Cunha not at all happy with August due to bad timing for voters.
momlaw
threecatcorner
Thanks for primary runoff info. Election Day linked to same page as early.

Election Day locations are at http://www.brazosvotes.org/node/196

By differences, you mean locations? Some of the ones that are almost always on there aren't.

So, Cunha wants to wait til November and Guerra doesn't? I saw from your notes that the election is going to be November. Was the potential date-moving something suggested by someone currently on council and they just brought the candidates in as a courtesy to get their opinions?
momlaw
AG
An example of locations being different for Early Vote and Election Day is College Station Utilities Meeting Center.
It almost, if not, invariably is an Early Vote location.
Seldom, if not ever, is an Election Day location.
Every cycle confusion ensues when voters show up on Election Day and there is not a polling place.
There are several very close by, Living Hope Baptist Church, Christ United Methodist Church, St Francis Episcopal, and Lincoln Center.

There is also confusion about Polling Centers.
Unlike in the "olden days" when on Election Day voters must vote in their home precincts there are now voting centers all over the county. All Brazos County registered voters can vote in the center of their choosing.

Suggest reading the OP for clarification regarding August 18 election schedule.
momlaw
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.