Sling

1,483 Views | 5 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by patrick.redmill
sunflower
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anybody had success using a Sling for TV other than the one hooked up to cable? Any advice pro or con?
Thanks!
jphil1
AG
I use Sling and it is just fine. Much less $ than Spectrum. But when I signed up for Sling they had the SEC channel in the package. Now its extra, so that's a problem for me
AG'73
patrick.redmill
I've used Sling since it was in beta. So about 5 years now. For a variety of reasons, I have tried other OTT services (namely YouTube TV and DirectTV Now), and I'm pretty firm that Sling offers the best value proposition. It's significantly cheaper than anything else (that has ESPN).

It is the only OTT service that really keeps to the original promise if a "slim" package. So, if you need TONS of channels, they have options for you, but the competition does become more compelling here. The interface and DVR, while serviceable, are a step down from the competition.

One wrinkle of Sling that I REALLY like is their approach to local channels. AFAIK, there is no service option that offers all of our local channels. However, they have a piece of hardware (AirTV) that will grab local channels off an antenna signal and integrate them into your channel guide. So, after the investment in the hardware, those channels are free. Other services charge a pretty steep fee for local channels.

AgsWin2011
AG
The answer you're looking for is YouTube TV.

I've tried most of the streaming services and this one is the best by far.
TxFig
AG
patrick.redmill said:

I've used Sling since it was in beta. So about 5 years now. For a variety of reasons, I have tried other OTT services (namely YouTube TV and DirectTV Now), and I'm pretty firm that Sling offers the best value proposition. It's significantly cheaper than anything else (that has ESPN).

One wrinkle of Sling that I REALLY like is their approach to local channels. AFAIK, there is no service option that offers all of our local channels. However, they have a piece of hardware (AirTV) that will grab local channels off an antenna signal and integrate them into your channel guide. So, after the investment in the hardware, those channels are free. Other services charge a pretty steep fee for local channels.

"Best" depends 100% on each person's channel preferences; there is no absolute "best" for everyone (and anyone who claims such should be flogged). I started out with Sling (blue+orange), but for what I watch, YTTV is the better choice.

In order to determine YOUR "best", go to
https://www.suppose.tv/tv

As for your 2nd paragraph, YTTV provides all of the local channels. What's more, YTTV allows me to re-arrange the channels into an order that makes sense *to me*. I value this customization quite highly.
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
jeffk
AG
Yeah, at certain times, best was cheap and Sling is about half the price of Youtube. We liked Youtube more though - the interface was better as was the channel line-up, but you pay for those advantages.

Nice thing about both is there is no long-term commitment, so try them both for a month and see what you like.
patrick.redmill
TxFig said:

"Best" depends 100% on each person's channel preferences; there is no absolute "best" for everyone (and anyone who claims such should be flogged). I started out with Sling (blue+orange), but for what I watch, YTTV is the better choice.

patrick.redmill said:

So, if you need TONS of channels, they have options for you, but the competition does become more compelling here.

C'mon man. You removed the part of my quote that directly addressed your use case. Suffice it to say, if you are getting blue + orange, you are better off elsewhere. YouTube TV is as good a candidate as any, I suppose.

TxFig said:

As for your 2nd paragraph, YTTV provides all of the local channels. What's more, YTTV allows me to re-arrange the channels into an order that makes sense *to me*. I value this customization quite highly.

You missed this point, entirely. Offering local channels and charging the user exorbitant rebroadcast fees (as YouTube TV, Hulu, DirectTV Now, etc. do) is not a unique or compelling feature. In fact, it's one of the reasons people want to be away from traditional cable TV. Sling does offer a unique approach to avoiding these fees which gives it a great value proposition. That being said, futzing around with the giant antennas you need out here isn't for everyone.

As far as customizing your channel guide, I'm pretty certain every major OTT package has this, including Sling.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.