Bagging Leaves

3,226 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by SchnauzerMom
Builder93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm driving around town today and see people piling giant bags of leaves 5 feet tall. You are just throwing away all of the best nutrients for your trees and yard. Hit them with a mulching blade and fertilize your yard for free or put them in a pile for composting.

You end up filling up the landfill with material beneficial to your soil (plus the plastic bags you paid for) and then complain about the cost increase for trash pickup. When the landfill is full all the NIMBY's come out and complain about the new landfill. i have just never understood bagging leaves.
Plus it is so much more work to bag them. That's what I don't understand. Less work for me and better for environment/landfill/grass is something that I can get behind.
trouble
AG
Even mulched, there's too many leaves in my yard to leave them there. We'll leave some, I'll put some in my compost but a lot will need to be bagged.

At least 75% of my yard is covered like this and this live oak was thick enough to block all the sun yesterday morning.

halibut sinclair
LEAF SHAMING!!!!!
GrimesCoAg95
AG
Can you bring them to me? I can compost them.
trouble
AG
I don't have a way to haul all of them but I can let you know when we get them bagged if you want them.
bushytailed
AG
Just did a walk in my neighborhood. It's insane how many leaves fell! There are so many trees that have been stripped to almost nothing.
Builder93
AG
If you pile them up and then run over them with the lawnmower, you'd be amazed how small the pile will get. Leaf mold is the best compost you'll ever get.

BTW, Trouble, that is great picture with what I assume is your kid.
trouble
AG
Thanks, yes that's my 4 year old helping to assess storm damage yesterday.
Belton Ag
AG
You literally cannot just run over and mulch 3 trees worth of leaves and twigs with a typical homeowner's lawnmower. I can understand if You had a few small trees and a commercial grade batwing type mower, but in my neighborhood (The Oaks) nobody has the kind equipment that can deal with much of what we have in leaves.
trouble
AG
That's exactly it. In just the front yard, I have 4 large live oaks. On the side of the house, I have a massive elm. All older than my 51 year old house. There are a few other trees around the house that are smaller but they also lost a bunch of leaves.

And it's not just leaves, it's lots of the ends of limbs as well.
trouble
AG
We're at 47 bags and counting.
dgonzo99
trouble said:

We're at 47 bags and counting.

Wow! You get the record. I had 36 bags.
trouble
AG
My neighbor has 62. We still have at least a 1/3 of the yard to go.
K2T2
OK...but what if I just leave my leaves there? Will it be a pain for the kid who mows my lawn next time around?
trouble
AG
Probably. If we had left ours, the grass would be dead.
91_Aggie
AG
You can definitely run over them with a mower with a mulching blade.. It's not an expensive option at all.

And while there may be some outliers with SO Many leaves you need to bag, too many people bag them.

Just get a mulching blade and the leaves disappear.

Quit just saying/thinking "Nope it is impossible" and actually do a little research.

trouble
AG
We mulch them in the fall. It's not nearly as many leaves at once.
tb9665
Think of snakes. Once bitten you never forget. I will never.
Carny89
Just blow everything into the street. Mother Nature caused it. She can fix it.
TxFig
AG
I don't get it - I've never had a single bag of leaves in my entire life. I just mow the leaves with the grass and they disappear. And I have areas in my yard with trees big enough that the grass is so shaded it doesn't grow.
trouble
AG
Have you ever had several large trees have more than half their leaves stripped by a hailstorm at once?

We cleaned up about 75% of the leaves/twigs and mulched the rest. We have over 80 bags on the curb.
WheelinAg
AG
trouble, pretty sure I know you. Could I come grab a trailer full of the bagged leaves for our garden? Assuming the bags are still on the curb...
toolshed
AG
Carter Creek area bulk pickup is tomorrow, so I'd say get there early if you want leaves. There's no less than 1000 bags of leaves up and down Carter Creek right now!! And I haven't even ventured on Wayside or any of the other side streets. I'd be surprised if the city could get them all up tomorrow seeing as most houses have pick ups on their curb.
trouble
AG
They are on the curb until tomorrow whenever the city picks them up. You are welcome to them.

We cleaned up 75% of them and I think ended up with 81 bags.
WheelinAg
AG
trouble said:

They are on the curb until tomorrow whenever the city picks them up. You are welcome to them.

We cleaned up 75% of them and I think ended up with 81 bags.

Crap, had something come up this afternoon, are they still there? I'll come before work in the morning and load up...
trouble
AG
No, the bulk truck finally got here about a quarter to 6.
WheelinAg
AG
trouble said:

No, the bulk truck finally got here about a quarter to 6.

Poop, maybe I'll cruise the area and look like a hippie scrapper looking for leaves.
trouble
AG
I had been hoping you'd come by because now I'm curious who you are.
SchnauzerMom
There are still some bags of leaves on the curbs in The Oaks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.