Dixie Chicken's roof collapsed

4,285 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by texasaggie04
AggieAces06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.kbtx.com/content/news/Roof-collapses-at-historic-Dixie-Chicken-in-College-Station-570820461.html

2020 just keeps on hitting...
TAMU1990
AG
2020 blows
TAMU1990
AG
2020 blows
TAMU1990
AG
2020 blows
FamousAgg

Word on the street is the rattle snake is MIA...
atm86
AG
Not according to KBTX.
FamousAgg
Ah, they just updated the story
Smeghead4761
Anyone know how old that building is?
trouble
AG
Was it anything before the chicken? If not, 1974.
Builder93
AG
Damn, I must be historic too.

Smeghead4761
trouble said:

It might have been. The way the wiki article is written, that the Chicken founders were renting the building, implies that the building was there already.
redd38
AG
Watch out for scammers making fundraisers "for Dixie Chicken", I've seen three of them already.
EliteElectric
Yeah they have already said publicly several times "There is no official fundraiser for DC"
bobinator
AG
They very much did not say that. They linked to one in their announcement on Twitter.
EliteElectric
That must have been this AM because last night they were saying the opposite, they must have set one up today.

****ETA**** or after I went to bed last night
justcallmeharry
S
trouble said:

Pretty sure it was The Aggie Den before it became The Chicken.
trouble
AG
I wouldn't have a clue. The Chicken and I are the same age.
justcallmeharry
S
trouble said:

I wouldn't have a clue. The Chicken and I are the same age.
The Aggie Den was originally located at Culpepper Plaza, then moved to its location which The Chicken subsequently took over.

The Aggie Den was a pool hall and sold pron...

I have about 22 years on you...

ETA: "Jackson's father, Don Ganter, opened the bar inside the former Aggie Den with business partner Donnie Anz on June 15, 1974 and it grew to become an institution in the college town. Ganter died in 2004, months after the bar celebrated it 30th year feeding and boozing Aggies. He also owned many other haunts in College Station, so he was a notable figure in that town's nightlife."
texasaggie04
AG
They own multiple bars and they've been in College Station for decades. The Chicken is the last place that needs a Go Fund Me page.
Jimmy Conway
texasaggie04 said:

They own multiple bars and they've been in College Station for decades. The Chicken is the last place that needs a Go Fund Me page.
Between this, and talk literally a few days into the virus that they were struggling mightily something tells me its not exactly the most well oiled business machine.
bushytailed
AG
Why a need for a Go Fund Me? Wouldn't the insurance cover it? Or is the GFM to assist employees?
PS3D
Langenator said:

Anyone know how old that building is?
Dixie Chicken is composed of two buildings, the Aggie Den on the left (slightly newer) and Miranda's on the right (slightly older). At some point, Miranda's was absorbed into Dixie Chicken and sealed off the exterior entrance.
WestGalvestonAggie
texasaggie04 said:

Agreed. It's not a good look.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Agreed. It's not a good look.
I'll bet they'll get a bunch of people to donate because ... Dixie Chicken. Just look at the pinned article at the top of the page.
bobinator
AG
It's already raised over $25,000. Just ridiculous.
bobinator
AG
Hell, why stop at $50,000.
Jimmy Conway
So leme get this straight the owners will simply pocket the extra cash they take in from the GoFundMe? This is all so bizarre. And that so many suckers seem ok with it is perplexing.
DadAG10
Looks like multiple gofundme's:

https://www.gofundme.com/mvc.php?route=homepage_norma/search&term=Dixie%20Chicken
MaroonBloodedAg2010
They were struggling long before Covid or the roof collapse. I worked there almost 10 years ago and they were struggling then.
bobinator
AG
It's one of those things that just doesn't sit right with me for some reason, but if that's what people want to give money to who am I to tell them not to.
Leslie
95_Aggie
AG
Not wishing for any kind of damage to any local business, but that area of Northgate would be improved by several renovations.
texasaggie04
AG
This is something I'd like to see KBTX follow-up on. How much of the money raised from a Go Fund Me goes to roof repair, how much of it goes to the average employee, how much of it is returned to donors (if rumors of a new roof donation are to be believed), and how much of it just disappears when people forget this ever happened...
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.