Are the dreams of a Waffle House in B/CS gone forever ?

3,261 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by chickencoupe16
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
If we round up enough Aggie Alumni to invest ... might be able to own all the Waffle Houses and finally bring one here.

Rough day for the Waffle House. 365 locations were open 365 days a year...
Clucky
Are you referring to when they closed locations....back in March? Pretty sure most are reopen now.
Sub4
AG
I reached out and spoke to a Waffle House last fall asking about College Station future expansion after their announcement to send a food truck to a gameday. He said they are still "a few years away". I dont think anything has changed recently besides the hype that keeps saying a Waffle House is coming. Waffle House has College Station in their longterm development plan.

Source- Russ Holland, Waffle House Real Estate VP
EcoZapp.AC&Air.Purifiers
- I think things might have vastly changed since then.
Sub4
AG
Good point, if they aren't doing well it could force their hand sooner. I still think it'll be a few years though
JayHowdy!
Guys......They are just not that great. I have never seen what the fascination is all about.
AggieBaseball06
AG
JayHowdy! said:

Guys......They are just not that great. I have never seen what the fascination is all about.
In pre-Covid times, you would have been a good candidate to get pushed out into the ocean on an iceberg.
Aggie
AG
JayHowdy! said:

Waffle House is not good... there is just a huge crowd that likes to paint a picture of themselves as a Waffle House guy.
Most of the people that do this have never even stepped foot into a Waffle House
redd38
AG
JayHowdy! said:

How sober where you when you went?
cs69ag
AG
Agree.....Waffle House is very pedestrian at best,,,,would rather eat at Cracker Barrel, IHOP or Denny;s for breakfast.
trouble
AG
That's fine. More room for me when we get one.

I'll take mine scattered, covered, smothered, and chunked.
95_Aggie
AG
Quote:

Are the dreams of a Waffle House in B/CS gone forever ?
hopefully
Esteban du Plantier
AG
JayHowdy! said:

The only time I ever went to one, the waitress was wiping down the prep surface, dropped the rag on the ground and scrubbed something with her foot, then put the rag back on the counter and kept on wiping.

No need to go back.
halibut sinclair
Stopped in at one once on the way to New Orleans. Nasty.
BrazosWifi
Esteban du Plantier said:

JayHowdy! said:

The only time I ever went to one, the waitress was wiping down the prep surface, dropped the rag on the ground and scrubbed something with her foot, then put the rag back on the counter and kept on wiping.

No need to go back.

And that's why you're not immune to the Rona
Sponsor Message: http://BrazosWiFi.com | Fast and reliable internet for the Brazos Valley | info@BrazosWiFi.com | 979-999-7000
EMY92
AG
A friend used to like to meet at Waffle House for breakfast on occasion (mid 90s). I was convinced that the walls were brown and yellow to hide the smoke and nicotine stains.

The food wasn't great, but it's hard to screw up breakfast food, but the amount of smoke in the place has permanently killed the desire to ever go into one again.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
JayHowdy! said:

Because some of us really like it. Don't be a food snob. Different people like different things.
halibut sinclair
Sweet Kitten Feet said:

JayHowdy! said:

Because some of us really like it. Don't be a food snob. Different people like different things.
So why can't the people that don't like it voice their opinion if different people like different things? You must be a Waffle House snob, if those exist.
FlyRod
Less snobbery than "cultery". That place exerts an almost supernatural hold over its adherents.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Tx Ag72
Having grown up in East Texas and eaten at the Pit Grill's that were in business, I know where the WH model came from. Going to a WH is a study of blue collar in the South. We went to Pitt Grills because they were the only place open after 10 on a Friday or Saturday night and you went for different reasons not necessarily related to eating. When my group goes on a SEC road game trip, we always make one WH stop and when we leave we are generally laughing at some of our observations that were made while "dining" there.
frito bandito
Tx Ag72 said:

Having grown up in East Texas and eaten at the Pit Grill's that were in business, I know where the WH model came from. Going to a WH is a study of blue collar in the South. We went to Pitt Grills because they were the only place open after 10 on a Friday or Saturday night and you went for different reasons not necessarily related to eating. When my group goes on a SEC road game trip, we always make one WH stop and when we leave we are generally laughing at some of our observations that were made while "dining" there.
There was actually a Pitt Grill in Cisco, where I grew up. As you said, the only place (besides the truck stop) that was open after 10. It was the go to place to re-hash performances after football / basketball games over french fries and iced tea (add your own sugar back then, it was the 70s).
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
They can voice their opinion, but they voice it in such a way that makes them feel superior. As if someone liking a food they don't like is somehow a threat to their superior palette.
techno-ag
AG
At least we got a GoCo.
taxpreparer
AG
My daughter and I were driving back from Virginia in January 2013 and were tired, so we stopped and had breakfast at a Waffle house. it was okay, not bad, not great, It was also cold inside. She went out to the car to get her A&M sweatshirt and I sat and looked at all the Crimson Tide decorations., as it dawned me; we were in Tuscaloosa. Nobody gave us a hard time about our Aggie Apparel.

I would not object to having a Waffle House in College Station, but I wold probably not eat there anymore than I do the Kettle or IHOP. (About once a month.)
***It's your money, not theIRS! (At least for a little while longer.)
frito bandito
techno-ag said:

At least we got a GoCo.
had.

who knows if they will reopen.
chickencoupe16
AG
I have only been a few times, but the greatness of Waffle House is in the bang for the buck. Nothing on the menu is fantastic or even great, but everything is very solid and more importantly, it is very cheap. Quality+quantity / cost it ranks above any sit-down breakfast food place I've been to and rivals most fast food.

I'm not pining for one to come to College Station and I would probably never go, but the pretend like it has zero redeeming qualities is wrong.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.